The Cranky House Settles Down!

This is encouraging! The Newbies group that I am in keeps having kayaking events because that is a thing here. And I keep tentatively rsvping yes only to chicken out because I don’t know how.

The hardest part was getting in and out because my knees are so wonky! The paddling instruction was about 5 minutes, so you could probably find something on YouTube. I did not feel as tippy as I feared.

It did take some upper body strength which I don’t work on as much as my legs, but it was fine for two hours.

However, there are no alligators in Wisconsin…,

We walked down to the school and picked 2 quarts of raspberries this morning! I asked last year what happened to all the stuff in the school garden and and they said “help yourself!” So, tomorrow I’m making raspberry jam. There’s also a cherry tree…

Went to “At Home” and was dazzled by an enormous warehouse sized store full of decorative home stuff. LOL Bought a lamp for W’s room which is what I went for.

Went to our garden plot at DD’s work. Watered, weeded, and picked radishes, lettuce, and some more mint for iced tea.

Got gas for $4.29 on the way home.

Finished the red/white/blue bunting I’ve had sitting on my cutting table for two weeks, and hung it over the fireplace. It’s really cute! Bunting seems to be having a decorative moment. All leftover fabric.

Baked gingersnaps. Homemade pizza in oven.

It would be great if it rained. Otherwise I have to go out and water.

The little boy lost his first tooth in the bus to Delphi!

2 Likes

Did laundry, took a bike ride, went to church, came home and made jam. I’m hiding one jar for the little boy’s teacher’s gift at Christmas, so I hope I can remember it in 6 months!

Now it’s hot so we’re just sitting around inside, except for the part where we heard a sudden thud and walked around to see if anything had fallen over, blown up, etc. it’s a mystery!

Waffles for dinner.

1 Like

I still need this moved to journals. LOL

Meanwhile, just puttering around. The weather has been wetter this week which is good for the garden (which does need weeding) but not very energizing.

Today on our bike ride we saw a garden pig, which was small and very cute, but we were under the impression that we were not allowed to have pigs or goats in the city. Mind you, the chickens are more than enough mess for me.

I am really creeped out that the Highland Park shooter drove up here and ditched his phone about 3 blocks from our church. Just - ugh.

Maybe I will get more done tomorrow.

2 Likes

Still very nice weather - lots of sun and not too hot. Garden is exploding - we’ll have the first zucchini ready by the end of the week. The green peppers are getting big. The peas started flowering again when it cooled down.

The travelers have returned! They are still falling asleep immediately after dinner, but they’re up by the time I am, so I kind of like it.

They said that growing up in Youngstown kind of spoiled Italian food for them - it was good, but not really different from the millions of Italian restaurants they’d been to in Ohio. (And to be fair, in Youngstown when you say “restaurant “ you mean “Italian restaurant “ - it’s the default setting.) They liked Greece better in general. So far none of them seem to have Covid.

I suspect that the Very Old Cat’s kidney issues are getting worse as she has been peeing outside the box, so a lot of cleanup required. I don’t know that it’s worth the stress of hauling her to the vet, as we had a frank discussion the last time and there’s not to much you can do for a 20 year old cat with kidney failure. She doesn’t seem generally uncomfortable, though.

Went to tai chi and knitting today, and tomorrow is groceries.

I hope that all the cats sleep well tonight, because I’m tired!

2 Likes

Excitement! Dd got a phone notification that she had a close contact exposure for Covid, evidently flying home last weekend.

So, Covid tests all around and again- only she has tested positive. She said she was coughing a little earlier this week but thought it was allergies.

The rest of us have decided to skip church. Dh and I are going for a bike ride.

Today we picked peas, green peppers, broccoli, two zucchini and a handful of raspberries from the garden.

3 Likes