The Charity Thread

I didn’t know about that either. Fascinating!!

1 Like

Ah, morality gets so sticky, so quickly.

As in:

• my personal philosophy is that my morality does not have any right to dictated anyone else’s morality. I worked hard on my personal code, dangit! It’s mine.
  • Except that degrades really quickly once you get down to certain brass tacks, such as kicking kittens. I think it’s wrong to kick kittens, and I totally am willing to impose my morality you in a painful way.

My personal take on making that much godforsaken money is 10% of gross, plus some volunteer time that would keep such a high earner interacting with the lower quintiles. With the specific aim of combating the tendency to create a social circle that’s comprised 100% of fellow super high earners.

My off the cuff thought is that the volunteer time would be more important for your soul than the money. At $700k the 10% probably won’t be noticed, but the time commitment is far more personal. Even at $150k I’ve recently realized that I no longer notice the fact that my disposable income is smaller than it could be, especially since the donations are automated. The time though, I sure notice that.

PS: The Catholic Church no longer offers indulgences. Theoretically. To the standard asshole. Rich assholes do need to figure out how to fit through that eye, and well, there the Mother Church is…

9 Likes