Taxes on Renting a Room in House

So I am finishing up taxes for 2022, and for less than 3 months I had a renter. I entered the rental income and then expenses such as cleaning, utilities, mortgage interest, repairs, etc. I lived in the home the entire year, so I prorated the expenses for only the days I had a renter, plus I divided them in half since we shared expenses like Utilities.

I am confused about the Depreciable Asset part of the rental. Do I have to claim a Depreciable asset if I only rented a room for less than 3 months? I started down the path of doing it, and it seems really complicated, and I’m not sure how I can possibly calculate how much of the house, which was rented for 75 days, a 200 sq ft room, etc depreciated…plus the cost of the land? If I just don’t claim a Depreciable Asset, will I be penalized for it later? I’m not really concerned about writing off any of the rental income, I just want to make sure I’m doing everything legally.

2 Likes

Gosh this renter is still haunting you!

I’m most familiar with the taxes when you rent out an entire property. Here’s an article on how to do it for a room in a house:

You don’t depreciate the cost of the land. This is usually broken out on a property tax assessment.

Yes, when you sell. It’s not so much a penalty, as you’ll be taxed for this deduction through depreciation recapture. You’ll pay this when you sell the house, whether you took the depreciation allowance or not. It can be up to 25% of the allowable depreciation amount. You’ll end up calculating it when you sell, so you may as well calculate it now and take the deduction.

Keep a copy of these at least taxes until you sell the house.

1 Like

Yes haha, I really learned my lesson on this one!

Thank you so much for sharing that article…I feel like I google searched and had so little luck finding anything relevant. Also thank you for explaining the depreciation…I figured if I didn’t get a tax break now, no worries, but it sounds like it will still come back to haunt me later on if I sell. Guess I better buckle down and figure this out!

1 Like