Talk to me about grad school

1. I took about 7 years off before pursuing a Master’s degree.
  2. I worked full-time, the Master’s degree program was online and accredited.
  3. I saved about 50% of the tuition cost. I got loans for the other half.
    4.When I got my Master’s degree so many jobs and professional communities opened to me. It is a ticket to a better life, which I am living now.
4 Likes

Don’t write yourself off for a Fulbright. I can’t guarantee that the UK Fulbright commission is the same, but our review process in China gave major bonus points for all kinds of diversity – including age/career stage and gender diversity which you have. Our program was for a year of independent research only – no MA program support. The application pool was usually 50-60% current year Bachelors graduates, another 30-40% grad students (mostly PhD candidates needing dissertation research support), and then a smattering of people with more diverse professional backgrounds. The latter almost always stood out and assuming their application was of good quality almost always made the cut.

Go talk with the Fulbright campus rep and see if they would give your application strong support. If so, then apply through the campus channel as an at large student. But if not you can apply without their endorsement, and it would probably be better to do so – sometimes campus reps/faculty want to channel the opportunities to rising seniors and grad students and they will not give a strong recommendation to non-traditional alumni applicants. In that case you are better off as an independent application.

3 Likes

I’ve met with them before- I knew them quite well because I worked in career services in my school- and they were supportive of my app for the ma transport studies but at the time i wasn’t considering another path.

I might reach out again. I’m not sure they do fully taught MA’s in the UK I would have to investigate.

2 Likes