Snackuary 2022: January Food Budget Challenge

I donated the unopened stuff, but took the stuff that was already transferred to cannisters. I suppose I could just toss the pasta, but I’d suffer through eating it than suffer the pangs of wasting food.

I mean, I’m not going to lie. All those suggestions from you and @galliver sound like sadness and suffering, but at least it’s a higher level of suffering than gross red sauce. :wink:

3 Likes

Do you like pesto?

1 Like

What do you like to eat, if all of the above sound like suffering?

2 Likes

This is what I would do with it, though you’d likely have to make the pesto yourself to have it dairy-free.

I like pasta + pesto + green beans + tomatoes + sometimes chicken

1 Like

I’m not sure if I like pesto, but I think trader joe’s has a vegan version. I could give it a try!

Casseroles, mostly? I like all the flavor pallettes you suggested, I just don’t like pasta, therefore pasta as the primary base sounds like suffering. But, I suppose I could some pasta, and some other base. There’s no time limit on using it up. It’s simply that the jars full of pasta are annoying me, squatting there in the cabinet.

1 Like

Definitely precedent for pasta casseroles out there! Though I expect most will have cream sauce or cheese. Vegan pasta casserole might pull up some interesting alternatives.

Small portions can definitely go in stir fry, soups, stews, and the like with plenty of other ingredients. You can also say “my body is not a trash can” and throw out this food you dislike before you ruin food you do like with it. Pasta is biodegradable and mostly cheap (frou frou pastas aside).

3 Likes

Pasta salad - pasta, veggies you like, olives, italian dressing
Or - veggies you like, etc. w/mayonnaise

2 Likes

Nope! Join ussss!

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed on pasta casseroles – both their existence and the dairy prevalence unless you go for vegan recipes – and on adding little bits for soups and stews. What sort of carb do you usually put in your casseroles? You can likely replace that with pasta with a few tweaks.

I also am very much on the side of “don’t suffer through food you hate if you don’t have to” but I have become a food princess, so. There’s that.

1 Like

peanut sauces? tahini sauces?
miso-garlic green beans with a fried egg?
ETA: a bunch of Italian recipes substitute fried seasoned breadcrumbs for parm

1 Like

I took some of the misc. stuff out of the big freezer: soup greens, cooked pasta, carrots, and 2 containers of chicken bones LO from other meals. I made stock first thing, strained it, took the meat and discards out. Put a small part of the stock back in the pot with the remaining, picked, and cut bones. Made rich stock. Combined the two stocks, and when cool enough, it will go into the fridge.

Tonight’s dinner: LO roasted veg with cheese from Monday (we had egg last night instead), chicken noodle, veg soup, and salad (packaged greens + chopped bell pepper).

The discarded chicken bits have been dealt with, so after I skim the fat off, all I have to do is add the chopped veg, previously cooked pasta, and put the meat back in.

The roasted veg just need to be reheated. DH grated a lot of cheese last night, so even that’s already done… I’ll have to chop up one small bell peppers. I think I can manage that.

2 Likes

I made grilled cheeze for lunch. Damn, I should remember more often, like more often than once a decade, that grilled cheeze product on fried bread is delicious.

4 Likes

If you really don’t like it and eat a lot of casseroles, how about crumbling up a little and putting that in the casseroles? If there’s enough liquid, the pasta should cook just fine and you aren’t trying to eat something pasta based, which you don’t like.

Most pasta can be crushed with a rolling pin pretty easily, if it doesn’t go scooting across the room.

3 Likes

Hey, good idea! It never occurred to me to just…smush it into less objectionable bits.

4 Likes

half priced pork shoulder at the grocery store today, so the planned okonomiyaki is switched out for a Momofuku-style bo ssam. I wasn’t organized enough to get green onions for the onion-ginger condiment, but I do have pickled carrots and I will make some red onions as well. And this should use up the last of the mint.

4 Likes

Drove to work. Didn’t buy breakfast!

6 Likes

Stay strong!

1 Like

I’m a little late to the party but I would love to join in.
I need to eat down my pantry as have a kitchen remodel coming up at the end of January.

My goal is to identify staples that are worth storing Vs. Food items I buy out of curiosity and keep in the kitchen forever (looking at you, polenta and chana dhal). There might also be a lot of pasta dishes ahead.

My plan is to make a meal plan based on panty items that need to be used up every weekend and only shop fresh ingredients as necessary.

5 Likes

I ate some motherfucking noodles! :muscle:t3:

9 Likes

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

2 Likes