Snackuary 2022: January Food Budget Challenge

Thanks for the timing infos, and for the fact veggies are better on High. Super useful… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yes, they did. That’s the perfect description. I’d upload a picture, but they don’t look good… :pensive:

Food and mental health talk

I don’t often have meat I could slow cook. It’s more usually processed things or already-cooked things. I do sometimes get sausages, either meat, or meat free. Anything fresh I get that day, comes in after the supermarket closes, so it’s anytime from 9-11pm. Sometimes later. And I have a tiny fridge.

Worth noting that the small whole chicken these same neighbours gave me with the slow cooker for Christmas was the first whole chicken I had ever cooked. Or even touched. So that was scary, and a bit shocking if I’m honest, but I did it, and it came out great. Proud of myself because when I first saw it I absolutely panicked. It also took me hours to prep, following an online set of instructions, but it was worth it, 100%. I didn’t want to waste that little life, y’know? <3

I was veggie for 23 years, and never taught how to cook by my family, who also absolutely hated it, so I’ve lived off processed stuff and ready meals, even when I had money, for a long time. Or I’d just do the British thing and boil the life out of veggies to have with something. In fact I went veggie at Uni in part because I realised I had no clue what to do. I’d happily lean towards mostly veggie again if I could reliably prep stuff. Better for me, critters, and the planet.

The potatoes came out black in places, yellow-brown all over (from the stock?), and were obviously just badly waterlogged. The carrots were knobbly on one side and mushy on the other. The onions were okay, but admittedly a bit slimey when lukewarm. It didn’t look, or taste, at all appetising.

I’d cooked them overnight, then switched them off in the morning, then left them to eat for lunch, which was likely the issue. They were also quite old veggies, so that could be a big part of why.

Then I’d also steamed some cabbage and courgettes, but they too were overdone. And mushy/slimey/unappetising.

My oven broke before Christmas. The landlord is going to replace it thankfully, but wants to know what kind I want, and I have absolutely no clue. And meanwhile I’d like to get the slow cooker working out right because I hear really good things about them, and I think it would suit me. A friend in the US says she roasts everything, and it comes out good, so once I get the oven back, I will try to get back to that as well. I’ve done it a couple of times following her instructions or since a few times by following things online, and it worked out pretty well.

If I don’t speak maths, I also really don’t speak food prep/storage. In fact I was thinking yesterday that it’s possible my relationship with food in general is ‘broken’. When I am particularly stressed, I can only eat processed stuff. It’s like my body doesn’t trust fresh somehow, or me to cook it. And it kind of sees it as yucky. So veggies have to wait a while sometimes until I get to them.

For a while now have been seriously considering asking some kind soul to physically come and help me (once I’m boosted in a couple of weeks). Even having help setting up the kitchen in a better way would probably be good. My online friend might help me, but they’re busy, and also in the US, so I’m not sure kitchen arranging is a Zoomable activity. I know a local caterer who is lovely, but busy, but was wondering if I paid her from my savings for an afternoon, that could be a very worthwhile investment, just to get me started.

tldr; It’s a struggle for me, and long has been. I do make excellent smoothies when I have the puff to do that. And I do like eating in general. No problems at all with that… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Think I just struggle with Executive Function/Panic/Not knowing what to do sometimes in the kitchen, and I have literally no skill bank to fall back on. If that makes sense.

7 Likes

I wondered about that. Kind of thought at the time (yesterday) that I’d have to add some strong flavour to make it workable, and even then it might not work. Which would mean more ingredients and/or time down the drain y’know? Also once I’ve seen something look not good, it’s hard to persevere/trust it’ll work out.

Next time. They’ve been out too long now I think. Thank you though, good idea… :slight_smile:

1 Like

First post! I’m in! My goal is to hopefully reduce our family food bill from what it has been the last couple of months. Prices have been increasing in my area, and even though I try to be really mindful and frugal we’re definitely paying more than we used to be paying. I try to minimize food waste, but I would really like for us as a family to be at zero food waste.

10 Likes

You’re doing great! Mostly, this is about trial and error and practice.

Summary

FWIW I think meal practice could be a very zoom- able activity! Your friend could make the same meal as you at the same time, like having your own TV chef to guide you through an activity!

I don’t know if you’d find him overwhelming but when I have had problems with my eating I pull out my Jamie Oliver DVDs and watch him cook. He’s got lots of ideas on making things easier. His more recent work on cheaper meals, how to cook for a family for a week etc is very good. I think if you can, watching a few different TV cooks until you find one whose personality or cooking style clicks for you could be very good.

When I’m stressed, very tired etc I have a lot of trouble eating fresh and have to eat processed etc foods because they are consistent and therefore “safe”. You’re in good company.

Please also read up on food safety. Did you leave the food in the turned off slow cooker for several hours, or did you pack it into the fridge and bring it out again when you wanted to eat it?

4 Likes

This forum is great for coming up with ideas on how to salvage food you don’t like! I hate when this happens, it’s so wasteful (and why is it that whenever a recipe doesn’t turn out well, it makes a TON?!)

3 Likes

I need to get better at meal planning to buy less plastic packaged food so I will aim for that this month. Meal plan written each week and followed!

DONE! Cancelled this morning.

5 Likes

I don’t do detailed menu planning, but I have a category plan. I do 2 double meals a week, 1 vegetarian, 1 meat. I do 3 singles: left overs, egg, and sandwich. I ordered these to give me a break on the days I’m the busiest:

M (dbl veg, I’m my most ambitious, and freq. takes a lot of chopping, etc.) Tu (left overs, dump day is W) W (2nd veg, dump day, sometimes very busy) Th (egg) F (dbl meat) Sa (sandwich, if need be can be carried to whatever project) Su (2nd meat).

I find this works for us. When I tried to do detailed menu plans I’d have a problem with a planned ambitious meal and we were swamped, so I didn’t want to do it, and then the food was potentially wasted.

With this, I can just look in the pantry and figure it out as need be. Monday I wasn’t going anywhere and the veggie storage needed checking. I did that, so we had roasted veggies from what needs to be used soonest. Weds. we’ll have the same, maybe with cheese or hash if I feel like making gravy.

2 Likes

Last night I ordered our spring share with a bread option. I’ve been buying bread at the farm anyway (it’s cheaper by $1 or more than I can get it elsewhere, within about 100 miles). It’s $316, for 12 weeks of produce and 12 weeks of bread.

Figured out the percentages. One of my frugal book demo goals is reducing our food budget, while still using premo ingredients. For the USDA’s thrifty plan, the veg/bread uses approx 25% of the food budget, for the low, moderate, and liberal plans, it uses less.

One thing I’m trying really hard to do with the book is not just tell people how to live. Personally, I hate that smugness and the presumption that I would know how others should live? What I can do, is say, “This broad concept seems to work. I’m going to try it and track what happens.” Then people can make their own determination. Not smug.

DH and I started our morning discussing where to buy coffee. The farm had been the cheapest source, but they aren’t selling coffee beans this winter and there was no coffee option when I signed up yesterday. They may yet. Anyway, because of this, for the past month, I’ve been on the hunt for coffee beans locally. We’re going to put a list on the fridge. What I bought/where/when/how much. Will help with the book tracking and help us find the cheapest local source of coffee we like too.

3 Likes

The cheaper grocery store in my area, and the only one that does pickup, just voted to strike. I fully support the workers so I will have to buy groceries at the more expensive store and take the time to actually shop. If this lasts very long I think I won’t hit my budget goal this month so I’m setting another goal to track the price of each item I buy in my price book so I can keep comparing costs between different stores.

11 Likes

OK, I have a Snackuary goal, though it’s more behavioral than budgetary. I will go to the farmers market and with intent to do an actual produce shop there. This weekend looks good, but if not I have 3 more weekends this month to try it.

8 Likes

In the freezer

• pizza dough
  • 2 cans concentrated juice (pink lemonade and soursop)
  • hot ground sausage
  • half a bag of dumplings
  • shelled edamame
  • whole pod edamame
  • pearl onions
  • half a bag of green peas
  • tater tots
  • veggie burgers (very old, not delicious to begin with)
  • breakfast sausage patties
  • raspberry popsicles
  • 2 packages of Klondike bars
  • 1.5 packages of bacon
  • a bowl of chili
  • leftover blackberry red wine “soup” from an old dessert recipe

It looks like Mr Darling did a clean out before we left because the door is much emptied than I remember.

1 Like

I made a 15 day menu plan from what’s in the house. I often find one meal stretches over two days for the two of us, so I may be able to make it to the end of January.

I ended up with extra ingredients from a New Year’s grocery shopping trip. I didn’t have enough time to cook the unhealthy food I wanted to make for New Year’s Eve. Instead of making it now, I’m trying to use it up in healthy ways. Tonight I made sautéed Napa cabbage with an Asian flair…it had tamari soy sauce instead of the full strength soy sauce in it.

My sister gave us apple cider they had made, for New Year’s, but company brought wine. I froze the cider rather than have it go bad.

4 Likes

Is it too late to join? I want to reduce my food waste each month.

4 Likes

DROOOOOL farmer’s market.
The Hollywood farmer’s market was the most glorious thing I have seen in my entire life when we were in L.A. in April a few years back. MILES of weird citrus that we can’t get here because it doesn’t ship well. I bought and ate a passion fruit.

3 Likes

I craved something sweet and decided to use up the vegan marshmallows left over from Thanksgiving and make rice krispie treats. FAIL. They didn’t melt well and seemed drier than normal marshmallows. Boyfriend pronounced them “sort of like rice cakes but sweet.” Yuck.

TV: it was only a small batch so I feel OK throwing it out.

2 Likes

I think our friends used to go to that exact one every week before they moved out of Slstate. :thinking: I might have to check it out sometime, but for now gonna go with one that’s not an hour away!

3 Likes

I inherited a bunch of pasta. The curly kind, and the hollow tube kind? I don’t like past a very much, so I don’t have a store of pasta recipes. I also can’t eat dairy, and the internet mostly recommends cream sauces. I could force myself to plow through a bunch of pasta with red sauce, but I don’t want to.

What do I do with this stuff?

4 Likes

I maybe love pasta.

5 Likes

Seconding pasta + meat/veggies mixed together in some way. We have a few pasta skillet recipes that I like – cook meat, veggies, pasta together in a skillet with 1 cup of liquid per cup of pasta, add a little cornstarch at the very end to thicken the remaining liquidy stuff.

Alternately, if you don’t like pasta and you have unopened boxes that aren’t out of date… donate to the food pantry/get rid of them on Buy Nothing?

(Not sure if the above is in line with your Snackuary goals.)

3 Likes