Small Things You Did Today to Reduce Your Environmental Impact

7 Likes

I washed my hair, as usual, with a solid shampoo bar. Then I did my vinegar rinse with homemade apple scrap vinegar! Environmentally friendly (especially since I usually buy cheap vinegar in plastic bottles, so less plastic being used) and frugal, since I used cores from apples I was eating anyway and the only thing I bought was nut milk bags to strain it (though unfortunately I got nylon by accident instead of cotton). If I am able to halve my ACV purchases and/or use the nut milk bags for anything else, I will break even in a couple of months.

2 Likes

Gave a workmate a special metal straw that will fit her keepcup for her iced coffees, and brought into work a selection of keepcups to offer to people from other teams who are helping us out with a recruitment process, and who don’t have keepcups to use for coffees during the work day (I’ve seen them both with disposable coffee cups). The Eco Gift Fairy strikes again!

5 Likes

Please share link to straws that fit in a keep cup? This might solve so many of our toddler milkshake issues.

1 Like

They’re not silicone so depends on how your toddler is with a metal straw, but here:

1 Like

I use paper straws, cut in half, for Ewok.

1 Like

Duckling demolishes paper straws, so metal ones kind of seem like a good idea to teach him not to wreck them. They don’t last 5 seconds with him.

2 Likes

Oh, annoying.

I should probably think about what we’ll do if we run out of paper straws before Ewok learns to drink from a cup without spilling everywhere… it’s one thing to be using paper straws we bought years ago, another to have to go buy more paper straws just for this purpose.

3 Likes

The Eco Gift Fairy struck yesterday, with keepcups for colleagues as per a post from earlier in the week. They were so excited! One of them said he’d never used a keepcup before :flushed: I don’t understand this. He’s not THAT much older than I am, either. Weird.

6 Likes

We call them reusable coffee mugs here. Keepcups sounds cute and also like a reusable menstrual product.

5 Likes

Keepcup is the main brand of them here! I agree it totally sounds like a menstrual cup; in fact that’s what I thought people were talking about when keepcups first came out here.

3 Likes

So they aren’t multipurpose?

2 Likes

Anything is a reusable menstrual cup if you’re brave enough.

10 Likes

You win Best Post of the Day.

2 Likes

Not totally original though. The actual joke is ‘anything is a dildo…’

1 Like

Not sure how I wasn’t on this thread before!

Nothing super notable/special for us today. Walked everywhere, went to the store where we can buy oats from the bulk bin. Put them in paper instead of plastic and recycled when we got home. (Some day I’ll get reusable bulk bags. We have produce bags, but they have big mesh holes so don’t work for oats, popcorn, etc). PS I noticed since I’ve started using paper for the bulk, other people have too, and they have more paper out at more intervals in the bulk section. I used to have to find it in a weird side section. Not sure if it was related to me using it or not, but still cool. Ate at home, so on.

3 Likes

I know, but it was still just perfect. Take the compliment.

3 Likes

Oh, good, I’m not the only one.

Which reminds me, I was wondering whether ceramic ones with no-spill lids are sold. I have a plastic one and a metal one, and I’ve been using the metal one to bring cold-brew coffee to work, but ceramic would be nicer. The plastic one would definitely spill if I put it in my lunch bag.

Yesterday’s small thing: raspberry foraging. Today’s small thing: eating foraged raspberries.

Oh, and switching to cold brew made at home with nothing disposable–saves some plastic because the free coffee at work comes in a plastic pouch (one per carafe), and it looks like I will be drinking way less creamer, which comes in a partly-plastic container, too. Noticed yesterday that the coffee at Mom’s is available in bulk, so we’ll try to bring bulk bags or jars for it next time.

2 Likes

Thrift stores here always have tons of leak proof travel mugs. Might be worth checking?

I like my double walled metal mug because I’ve dropped it at 18mph off my bike more than once :face_with_hand_over_mouth: and I can use it for hot or cold liquids.

6 Likes

Went to a grocery store hot bar for lunch with a friend. We went and asked someone where the reusable plates were, since we were eating in house, rather than taking one of the boxes they had out.

4 Likes