Small Things You Did Today to Reduce Your Environmental Impact

Was given leftovers from a BBQ (where we were very much not anticipating leftovers) in a foil tin with top. Washed the foil for re-use.

CK and HaH, y’all would like one of our local cafes: Regulars can leave a mug there and use it when they’re there. :smiley:

3 Likes

As we learned yesterday, one should always expect leftovers.

https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/hah-grief-parenting-chronic-illness-gardening-and-maybe-money/406/1207

I think I have enough vegetable scraps to make a small batch of stock! I’ve made chicken stock once before but never vegetables only.

2 Likes

Haha, this was so much food that even if I’d brought my usual tupperware set, it would have overflowed them! (I think we’ve gotten something like 8 generous meals out of the leftovers.)

Enjoy your veggie stock! I like using mine for rice. :3

Too many leftovers is the best kind of problem to have.

Vegetables are in the pressure cooker! I’m actually kind of nervous that I fucked it up somehow and it’s going to explode and kill me, but hey what’s life without risk.

1 Like

Potentially dumb question: can I reuse the water from prepping my new fridge filter to water my plants? Our fridge uses a cartridge purifier and ours needs to be replaced. The new ones require you to run a few gallons of water through before they’re prepped. I would assume it would be ok since you could theoretically drink the water (did it the first time I changed the filter because I didn’t read the instructions) the water just comes out a little grey-ish and funny tasting. But I’m not sure if whatever I’m washing out of the filter would be bad to dump on plants.

1 Like

That should totally be ok. I have a Brita filter jug and the instructions for changing the filter also require to run some water through the filter before using it for tea or coffee, but states that the water can be used for plants. I think those filters contain some kind of active carbon which turns the water greyish in the beginning

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad I don’t need to waste the water!

6 cups of passable vegetable broth! I’ll probably add more spices when I use it for actual soup, but it’s a decent base and nobody died from exploding pressure cookers!

I might double down and try this seitan thing. I’ve got nothing to do for a few hours. Worst case I waste half a cup of vital wheat gluten that was just taking up space anyway.

4 Likes

That looks so tasty, MJ.

1 Like

I’m takeout free today. So no single use thingies!

5 Likes

I went out on a huge limb today and offered my bread in a group I am part of in exchange for backyard chicken eggs. Both the sourdough bread (which has gotten really reliable, I’ve done a few more), and my regular sandwich loaf breads (that use commercial yeast). People in the group sometimes post to trade garden veg, so I thought I’d take a chance, since my garden is weeks behind this year (and so is everyone else’s honestly). One of the first people to comment said yes, and we are going to chat! I use eggs a fair amount (and I would more) but I hate how commercial laying operations treat their birds. Everyone wins!

5 Likes

Soooo… I may have gotten something like 12 offers to exchange eggs for my bread, including a couple of people who came right out and said they wanted to pay me money. Like, legal tender money. (Let’s be clear, I am not a commercial bakery and so I do not want money. When you do tradesies the law doesn’t try to regulate you to death.) I was hoping to get in contact with one or two people in my area that had extra eggs and do a casual trade. WHAT NOW. :flushed::dizzy_face:

(Oh a couple of people who wanted my starter as well. I was all like, guys, it is easy to start your own starter. And yet they still want. I do not understand!!)

(Now a thought is percolating. I rent space in a commercial kitchen. Sell at farmers markets. Go crazy with the schedule? :crazy_face:)

6 Likes

I started insisting that the local cafe give Pikelet (our toddler) her drinks in reusable cups rather than the disposable ones they kept surprising us with when we dined in.

At first it was met with eye rolls.

Now they are serving all the toddler’s drinks in reusable cups as the default choice!

Was it us? I can’t be sure but I’m going to say we influenced them at least a little bit to make that change.

8 Likes

That’s a really excellent outcome.

We started our worm farm on the weekend! Because we already have a compost bin going, I can start them nice and slow and it will be easier to keep it vegan for the wormies since the meat scraps go in the bokashi bucket >> compost.

6 Likes

Reporting on yesterday:

I gave away two sets of cloth produce bags to teammates who want to reduce their single-use plastic.

Ordered compostable floss for us, a reusable babyccino cup for a friend, and a metal straw for a teammate who likes to have a straw for her iced coffee and has expressed interest in a reusable straw. (I am now the Eco Gift Fairy.)

Had conversations with a few people about how urgently we need to take action on climate change; they seemed very interested and afterwards were asking me about certain eco things they want to do. Woo hoo!

Did all my usual things like using public transport to and from work, walking to pick up Ewok from daycare, minimising my use of single-use plastic, all that good stuff.

6 Likes

We’re looking at being at our city daycare for the rest of the year, so I’m using it to train Toddler on public transport use. It’s a long-term strategy. Dad drove the car in today but dropped us at the train station to take train + bus in, and we’ll all drive home together. I had to break it down much more than I first thought in order for us to build the skills and habit of using it.

5 Likes

I had the Thai place at the gym put my food in the reusable container that I had brought instead of the usual styrofoam.
Still plastic forks and cups, though. I need to make a kit to keep in the car for moments like that one.

5 Likes

What brand is your compostable floss? That’s something that I haven’t switched yet and it’s a little frustrating. I’d be interested in what you think of it, apparently DH is very particular about his floss!

3 Likes

I’ve been making DH’s coffee in a thermos instead of a reusable cup. Now he has a larger coffee that isn’t cold before he gets to it and I am fairly sure this removes his morning hot beverage habit. Tomorrow I take one for me :smiley:

2 Likes

Your gym has a Thai restaurant?

2 Likes