Small Things You Did Today to Build Community

Baked bread yesterday and took excess loaf (the recipe makes three loaves!) to our Bungalow Court Friends and had a good chat with them.

Had some really good conversations with cashiers yesterday. I was running a bunch of errands and just had really lovely chats with several people and it felt delightful.

7 Likes

Organised an office meet-up for our work gender minority network (all 3 of us :cry:). Also I’m going to make vegan cake

7 Likes

Invited friends over even though my house is a wreck, because I don’t have the energy to drive anywhere today and this is the easiest way to get Good People Time.

7 Likes

Had vegetarian sushi w bestie. Talked baby names neither of us will get to use for a year minimum. It was fun.

6 Likes

Talked to my siblings and friends about how to comment on a bill that’s being introduced during legislative session. My two sisters and one of their partners all commented on one, and I AM SO PROUD OF THEM. Civic engagement (if you couldn’t tell by now) is super important to me and would be my part time job if I had more energy and resources.

9 Likes

At the meetup tonight I introduced myself to two people I didn’t know–they’re newish!–and we ended up talking for a solid half hour.

8 Likes

On my way out of the house to my local pagan gathering, I chatted a bit with my next-door neighbor and thanked him for salting our steps. Then I arrived at the gathering early enough to help set up.

4 Likes

Hosted a letter writing session on Thursday, met an elder in the LGBTQ+ community and we talked for quite a while.

Met a new person yesterday! They’re a family friend of my partner’s. We discussed local issues, hobbies, interests, and now I have a to-do list! I’ll be reaching out to a friend about good zines for sex ed and for queer health, sending New Friend a list of my favorite podcasts, and make plans for a printmaking day!

5 Likes

There’s a local grocer that has a sprinkling of locations throughout the PNW and their mission is to be radical neighbors (local sourcing, sustainability workshops, money into the community, etc.). Turns out, there are two locations in my Work Town that have a community room for folks to reserve!

My library system only allows a private individual to reserve a space once every four weeks (boo), so I reserved the community room for a letter writing session next week.

I hope to “host” a couple a month and get to know more folks in my community and help expand their confidence in their capacity to make change.

7 Likes

I made small talk with another parent at daycare pickup even though I felt suuuuper awkward about it.

I have a small gift for my neighbours to say thank you for the raised garden beds they gave us.

7 Likes

I hosted a new choir book group! Two new people came, and got on well with my housemates- lots more have said they’ll come to the next one, so I just need to work out a better reminder schedule to avoid everyone forgetting :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I only have two “going” and two “interested” in the letter writing session tonight, which isn’t very many…but if the two who confirmed do show (something something PNW flake culture mumble mumble) maybe we’ll have an awesome brainstorming session and can knock out some great drafts.

1 Like

Went on a hike with folks from my local FI group on Sunday.

Planning to hold a potluck for the group sometimes in February.

5 Likes

Three days in a row, each day a different neighbour has brought us vege scraps for our bunny. I’m inviting neighbour kids to come feed him themselves whenever neighbours offer scraps.

Hosted mums’ group this morning, which wouldn’t have happened this week if I hadn’t offered to host

Had my sister and her kids over for weekly dinner.

8 Likes

I visited a stall the local council put up to answer questions about a bit of development they’re doing this year, and gave feedback.

5 Likes

Today:

• Shopped local, so that the small businesses in my community can continue to thrive.
  • Made small talk with friendly strangers at the park and the cafe: not the kind of thing that leads to lifelong friendships, but the kind of thing that fosters a welcoming, friendly community.
  • Planned dinner for sibling+kids.
  • Realised Ewok is wearing a hat handed down from one neighbour, and a top handed down from another. My neighbours are the greatest.
9 Likes

Had the second meeting of choir book club last night - and doubled the number of attendees-who-aren’t-my-housemates to 4!

8 Likes

This week I went to a neighborhood book club for the second time! Getting to know some neighbors that I wouldn’t really know otherwise because my husband wisely signed me up for book club at a block party that he went to while I hung out with our sleeping kiddo.

4 Likes

Today I’m sharing homegrown tomatoes with a friend. I love how abundance from the garden can become a way to build community!

5 Likes

I gave my neighbor some sourdough starter!

3 Likes