Small Things You Did Today to Build Community

I think it counts!

3 Likes

Friends are community!

5 Likes

Indeed, I just feel like counting it underscores how seldom it occurs :sob:

3 Likes

Reached out to my local LGBTQ+ facebook group today to inform about a bill in the upcoming legislative session that would make comprehensive, inclusive sexual health education mandatory in my state. I included a quick actionable item (check your voting registration at vote.org), two more actions (write/call your elected officials) and a February action to attend a lobby day at the capital.

7 Likes

I’m gonna pick up a pie dish from a Buy Nothing person. Yuuuum to pie.

7 Likes

I’ve been lurking in my Buy Nothing group for about a month and last night saw a wish I could actually grant in the Wish Wednesday thread. Someone was asking for a food dehydrator, and I have one I’ve owned probably 5 years and used probably twice! My first thought was I have one of those, I really should use it! But I’m really not going to use it, so as soon as I can get the top of it dusted and make sure there aren’t stray parts lying around, it’s going free!

8 Likes

I am really abysmal about this, I feel like I am happy with a really really low amount of IRL social interaction, but I also know that it does benefits me when it happens. And that the likelihood of building a neighborhood where all my favorite people live and therefore makes this easy is very unlikely…so I’m here to see what everyone is doing and pick up ideas.

So far I’m active on BN but the group is mostly porch pick ups and very little true interactions. Started going to the library and will be doing more class type things with Bobbin soon. A work in progress for sure

6 Likes

Informed my facebook queer community about an upcoming hearing for mandatory comprehensive sex ed bill. Since we live at least two hours away from our capital, I also called the legislative hotline and found out how we could testify in support of the bill remotely.

There was a lot of opposition from our county last year, and we’re expecting more of the same. I need to get some letter writing going.

8 Likes

Reached out today to the same group I’ve been talking about to see if anyone wants to get together for a letter writing session. No bites yet, but it’s pretty late at night.

4 Likes

I hope at least one person wants to write letters with you!

1 Like

Messaged both my local siblings to see if anyone wanted to bring over their kids for afternoon tea because I had baked a cake and wanted help eating it. Brother and his kids came over for spontaneous fun times :slight_smile: and we exchanged various favours and unwanted possessions such that we both gained tangible benefits from the visit, as well as intangible happy family lovey feelings.

9 Likes

I went to a semi-annual gathering of my maternal family, and made vague plans to visit some of them in autumn and listen to old people stories. I also made small talk with teenage cousins that they actually engaged with! Hooray!

8 Likes

Set up an official event in the group and reserved a room at the local library for next week. Many “maybe” responses, three “yes”!

I love that there’s interest, letters can be powerful. In the hands of your elected officials, that’s a story, a testimony that they can use to support a decision made on behalf of their constituents. In a letter to the editor, that’s an opinion piece that more folks will read than you would have reached otherwise.

7 Likes

Excellent!!

2 Likes

A neighbour came by this morning with hand-me-downs for Ewok (hat and a toy wheelbarrow - perfect for him!) and I gave her a Harry Potter thing that her kid will love. Had a nice five minute chat.

6 Likes

I love reading about you and your neighbors.

1 Like

We lucked into the nicest little street of people!

2 Likes

Met a bunch of new people climbing and went to brunch!!! Climbing has got to be the friendliest sport ever, I love it.

10 Likes

Signed up for a zero waste workshop at the local community center. I am looking forward to learn how to make my own laundry detergent and cleaning products and meet cool local people at the same time!!

6 Likes

My Letter to the Editor was published in the local paper today!

7 Likes