Slate Pay Dirt: Lillian's Money Advice Column

Dear Pay Dirt,

I manage our family finances/budgeting. Built into this is money (thousands!) for my husband’s hobby: gardening. He exceeds his budget annually. His rationale? “I make a lot of money.” (He does). He is an impulse buyer, has ADHD, and, I suspect, high-functioning autism. This can be crazy-making for money management. I’m thinking of loading an account with his “hobby money” for the year. Once it’s gone, that’s it. We’re not doing any major landscaping; he chooses expensive trees (one tree specimen was $800), flowers that are pricey, and gadgets, some of which he has two or three of. I do have discussions about this but he “forgets” our agreements. Any other suggestions?

—Handling the Hobby

Dear Pay Dirt,

My parents purchased a house nine years ago in Portland, Oregon where I have lived for the past two decades. I have been the renter of the house (I pay the mortgage and utilities etc.) and the plan has always been that I will buy it from them. I am in a position to start that process but what we have discovered is their purchase price and the price they would like to sell it to me for leaves a lot of equity in the home for me. They’ve been told they would need to pay a 40 percent tax on the monies they are “gifting” to me via equity in the home. This seems wild to be considering they had already paid taxes on the money they pulled out of their 401(k). This doesn’t sit right with myself or my parents. What, if any, are our options for me to purchase/willed/gifted, etc. to avoid them being “punished” financially for the transfer of the house?

—Don’t Want to Screw My Parents

My answers and more at Slate

17 Likes

squints ok, who submitted the gardening question?

12 Likes

I told Mr Darling I have a new life goal

6 Likes

Yeah I want to spend $800 on a tree! :star_struck::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I only just noticed that you write this column! I was so excited. Excellent use of “macabre.”

3 Likes

Hahah thank you. I’m not the most flowery writer so any writing compliments are always appreciated.

6 Likes

I have a feeling the house-buying parents don’t have a multimillion dollar estate if they tapped into their 401k to buy the house!

4 Likes

I would like to have a baby. My husband is an anxious person who claims he’s “just a realist” who tends to be stubborn and likes big things planned out in advance. He agreed to have a kid before we got married, but only if we could financially afford to. That’s where our opinions differ; I think we can, and he disagrees.

Together, we currently make at least $200,000 in gross income. However, we live in a city that we love with high costs and we are religious enough that my husband INSISTS that the kid needs to go to religious day school. (There is no flexibility around this requirement. Believe me, I’ve tried.) Religious day schools in our region are notoriously expensive (we’re talking five-digit numbers yearly, starting at $20,000). My husband fears that even with tuition assistance, which is common, we would end up leading a lifestyle that requires us to penny pinch, worry about money, never go on vacation, have no retirement fund (to the point of joking about committing suicide as a retirement plan), and devote every single spare dollar to tuition. Even if I say that we could afford it now, he argues that with inflation and recessions, etc., one day we may not be able to afford it. Clearly, in an ideal world, he would want a trust fund with the tuition money already saved up. Obviously, that’s not going to happen.

We’ve tried going to a financial advisor for reassurance, but they weren’t very helpful; I need hard, specific numbers relevant to our location and projections for an 18-year period, minimum. When I suggest moving to a city with a lower cost of living, he says that our salaries will drop according to the location and we will be back in the exact same boat (he thinks the current remote work trend will be disappearing within the next few years). What do I do? Who do I talk to who has an understanding of school tuition concerns? How do I get these numbers? I can’t do it myself; I’m over my head. I suspect the most helpful thing would be for my husband to take anti-anxiety medication, but that’s not going to happen, so this is the next best thing.

—35 and Not Getting Any Younger

My late mother owned a significant amount of property. One was a cabin she rented out in an increasingly developed area. Land prices are booming. “Debbie” and her mentally handicapped son have lived in the cabin for the past 20 years and never had a single rent increase (and never a late payment). She was my mother’s friend.

After my mother died, I sold most of the properties, except the cabin. I informed Debbie that her lease would not be renewed and she broke down in tears. She told me she had nowhere else to go and she and her son didn’t make enough money to live anywhere else. I was still grieving my mother, so I offered to renew the lease for an extra year to give Debbie some time to find other lodgings. Then the pandemic hit. And the state froze evictions. Debbie didn’t pay rent for six months. Both she and her son got sick, but I ended up having to pull out of pocket for the increasing property taxes and put in a new septic system, plus a new roof. None of this is Debbie’s fault.

All my kids are in college, my business took a serious hit, and my wife has illness issues—I don’t want to be a landlord. Debbie has been begging me to renew the lease for another six months. I have offered to sell the cabin to her and shave off the other acreage. Debbie told she has no savings and no family other than her son. Looking into charitable help has done nothing. Everything is on a waiting list if you can even get on it all. I even asked the church my mother attended if I could donate the property with a clause stating that Debbie and her son get to stay in the cabin. The offer was declined—too many complications. My wife tells me we have done enough. I still feel like a complete bastard. Debbie looks a lot like my mom and hearing her cry is like a knife in my heart. I just can’t keep doing this.

—Cabin Endings

That and more over here on this week’s column:

16 Likes

Great responses as always! The child one makes me :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: so hard. Committing to something big like that before marriage and then finding every excuse not to is just so ick.

9 Likes

I loved this part in your response because so often people use HCOL to pretend they aren’t rich…but low earners live in those areas too, lol. I agree it sounds like he doesn’t want kids. People who want kids make it a priority despite alllll kinds of obstacles. It’s a shame so many people feel they need to make false excuses rather than just say they don’t want kids. Dating while not wanting kids was v illuminating, lol, definitely made me think a lot of people don’t actually want kids but feel they have to because it’s part of the package.

But your combined income puts you in the top 5 percent of all American households. That means that 95 percent of American families make it work on less income than you earn. Even in high-cost-of-living Manhattan, the median household income is less than half your combined income.

6 Likes

Ugh that poor letter-writer. I don’t think any amount of financial reassurance will convince her husband.

Also - in HCOL location myself, $20,000 doesn’t seem like that much? That’s how much I spend on daycare now.

8 Likes

There’s always an excuse if you want it to be, lol.

6 Likes

I think he felt like he didn’t commit lol. Only if they could “afford it” which I think is a mack truck sized excuse for him.

6 Likes

Yeah he made me rage ngl. That sort of stuff is way way too important to deceive your partner about before marriage, and waste time of their life and fertility if they want to go elsewhere.

7 Likes

Yeah… but she took it as a commitment, so that reads very manipulative and bait & switch-y to me. :angry: And like, he would have more of an argument if they were actually low income, maybe, but “we can’t afford it” when you define afford as “without any impact to our spending, lifestyle, or savings” is… gross. When this is a major life experience your partner really wants and you’re just scared.

… and basically everything @Bracken_Joy said. :heart:

7 Likes

Especially since she’s part of a religious community where divorce might be discouraged and she’s already 35 years old.

But agreed. I do think that people change their minds, one way or the other, on kids. Some people get into relationships thinking they don’t want one and then change their mind when the hormones hit. Or vice versa. It’s the inability to articulate that to your partner and instead concocting tons of excuses about money that is concerning.

I explicitly don’t want kids and have ended relationships (with now good friends who have kids with their partners) over a mismatch in that. I think some people are less clear, especially if they get married young. And then they have no emotional maturity about it.

9 Likes

Yep. To be clear I am not at all arguing with you, just raging a bit about That Guy like BJ said and the lack of emotional maturity as you put it (very well). Your response was great :blush:

4 Likes

Definitely sounds like a dude who felt like he had to play the part of wanting kids to get married, especially as it was noted he’s apparently so devout any child MUST attend an expensive school.

The “mom spent the mortgage” one is awkward. Definitely going to be uncomfortable untangling that one, and I hope the LW/new wife steps back from trying to fix it.

6 Likes

Letter writer isn’t married to that person yet, and honestly I hope they get the fuck out of that relationship. She’s trying to get him to take his mother to court over a verbal contract when she doesn’t even live with him??

The entire property and family arrangement sounds like a mess, and not something to be involved in especially with an ex-wife and kids in the mix. But maybe there’s other redeeming qualities that make this guy worth it.

3 Likes

Yeah i should have said “soon to be- new wife”. Wait maybe i misread something about them getting married.

Yeah, its not looking good for either of those relationships in this week’s letters…

4 Likes