September 2021 - The Prince - Book Club Poll & Discussion

I’m really excited for next month to roll around. Feel free to vote on more than one book! :grin: Between the parentheses is my estimate of each book’s length.

• Against the Grain by Phil M. Williams (300)
  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (300)
  • Bronze Dragon by Eileen Mueller (100)
  • Economic Policy by Ludwig von Mises (100)
  • I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid (200)
  • Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (250)
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (200)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (200)
  • The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli (100)
  • Vanished by Clara Lewis (100)

0 voters

The poll is closed! We have a tie between Murder on the Orient Express and The Prince. Since the former is under copyright, let’s read The Prince. :grin: Easiest decision of my life!

You can download the book by clicking on the following link: The Prince

Or you can read it online, here: The Prince, by Nicolo Machiavelli - Project Gutenberg

FYI, several of these books are still under copyright. Please don’t download copyrighted books from free book sites.

1 Like

“As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.” https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

I know pirating movies and books is detrimental to everyone involved in creating them, but if we expect everyone to buy these books to participate in the monthly book club discussions, then… I don’t we’ll have participants.

We have a tie between Murder on the Orient Express and The Prince. Let’s read The Prince, it shouldn’t be under copyright now, right?

The Prince, by Nicolo Machiavelli - Project Gutenberg

Happy reading, everyone! :grin:

Correct, most of the books on your list are public domain!

I only vote for books that are public domain or are available at one of the libraries for which I have cards.

1 Like

I finally stumbled on one of Machiavelli’s famous quotes: “… men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.”

I was impressed by Machiavelli’s letter to Lorenzo Medici in the beginning, he really knows how to flatter!

Another cool quote: “… it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory.”

1 Like

“For injuries ought to be done all at one time, so that, being tasted less, they offend less; benefits ought to be given little by little, so that the flavour of them may last longer.”

I’m late to the convo but I think most people would get the book from their public library. I pretty much never buy books anymore.

1 Like

I’d forgotten libraries existed.

There’s one five minutes away from home, but I haven’t been there since I was 15.

1 Like