Reducing household waste: discussion thread, wins and questions

It’s Plastic Free July!

We went to a very expensive, fancy supermarket (Fresh Provisions Mount Lawley, for the Perth peeps) to pick up milk in glass bottles and to fill our own container with frozen raspberries. I was underwhelmed by the shop as a whole, but I think it’s my best/only source of unpackaged raspberries so will most likely keep popping in every few weeks for those.

Waiting to hear back from Sunnydale Dairy about which day of the week they deliver milk (in glass bottles) to my suburb, and how much it will cost. They collect and reuse the glass bottles, so unless it’s waaaaay more than I expect, we’ll be signing up as a very easy way to reduce our plastic use.

4 Likes

We went to the shops. The veg store gave me a box for my veg, and I remembered baggies for some other stuff.

4 Likes

How does your glass milk get capped? We buy glass bottles of milk, but there’s always a plastic cap on it.

3 Likes

Took a look at our main delivery service - all cartons, much plastic. Blech.

I’m also looking for more food storage solutions for the kitchen, and I think what I really need to acquire is another set or two of waxed cloth, a handful more tea towels/flour sack towels, and at least three more freezer-safe glass dishes.

3 Likes

Metal caps :+1:

1 Like

Farmer Jacks at Subiaco used to have unpackaged frozen fruit in a freezer a couple of years ago. I’m not sure how they’d go with the tare weight of a byo container, it seemed set up for disposable plastic produce bags, but might be worth an ask if they still have that freezer. As far as I recall they were mostly imported fruit too.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I’m going to go put a dish towel in the bottom of my veggie drawer right now!

4 Likes

I have a win: the bulk food stores are restocked so I can order online again! I also have a few on my list to try in person to check their storage & dispensing equipment.

5 Likes

We’re getting milk delivered in glass bottles weekly. The empty bottles get collected and reused. One less thing to go in our recycling bin :+1:

11 Likes

Dripping noses.

I know handkerchiefs have been replaced by tissues for the most part, but has anyone switched back?

I can’t environmentally justify the packaging, materials, etc. of tissues and it feels frivolous to waste TP for the same reason. Lady pockets aren’t really big enough to hold a bandanna (closet object I have to a hanky), but who leaves the house anymore anyway?

Hit me with your tips, tricks, experiences.

5 Likes

My family used hankies as a kid. I currently don’t, I remember them being very irritating. I wonder if flannel would make better hankies than the thin woven cotton we used, particularly for colds (frequent usage)? I bet you could cut up/edge some old sheets or tshirts? ETA: they were like 10 inches I think? Tissue sized, not bandana sized.

2 Likes

Our favorite hankies came from a cut up old pair of soft cotton PJ pants. T-shirts would also be good. Then you can make them whatever size you want.

2 Likes

I have one from muji that I love. I plan to ask for more for Christmas. My mum was on 90% hankies pre covid

2 Likes

We got a pack of 50 cotton towels that we use instead of paper towels and napkins (they are washcloth size, like 8"x8"). I love them and if I am feeling luxurious and crazy and want to lay on the couch and eat pasta I can use two of them on my chest to avoid spills. We use them EVERYWHERE and wash with normal towels. If you are going to dry them make sure to empty the lint trap 2x/load the first few times because they shed quite a bit.

I also got an oil mister that we use in the kitchen, it is a hand pump and works like any other spray oil https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cooking-Sprayer-Clog-Free-CHEFVANTAGE/dp/B076Q7VWFZ/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=oil+mister+cooking&qid=1596569946&sr=8-13

4 Likes

I use a bandanna as a hankie, folded like this, and I am a forever convert. You do need to wash your bandannas once or twice first because they’re stiff when they’re brand spanking new, but an old cotton bandanna? is the comfiest thing on your nose EVER. So much better than even fancy aloe-soaked tissues.

Also, because it’s folded up, I do manage to fit in lady pockets, and the folds prevent ~grossness from getting everywhere.

2 Likes

this is exactly what I needed!

I like the idea of using old tshirts and such, but the reality is those poor things get used for my hair.

I just remember my great granddad always having a red bandana in his pocket for blowing his nose on, so it’s good to know that they get softer in the wash!

@Elle I’ll take a look at muji, too!

3 Likes

Same here! I got a hankie as a freebie with an online order, and I can never go back to tissues. I’m sure you could find some smaller/pocket sized ones somewhere like Etsy.

2 Likes

I should note – if you get really stiff new ones, you probably wanna get them fucking fiiiilthy first, like ocean water/mud/clay/sand filthy, basically stone wash them at home, and then after they’re washed try 'em on your nose. If you beat them the fuck up they get softer quicker.

3 Likes

Oh, hi! I just found this thread and am very excited. I didn’t read everything from June.

For noses, I really like flannel. I got started on this when I finished cloth diapering and had a bunch of flannel squares lying around. I use them for everything (not the same ones, my mom made me new ones).

BUT to make, you really need a serger (overlock). My library has one… in better times. I like flannel PJ pants and when they wear out, I cut them up to make new rags. Or some are made from king-size pillowcases, from the scraps I cut off to make them into standard size.

3 Likes

Still use rags rather than paper towels for normal cleaning, but just bought Husband two rolls for disinfecting his respirator after class (combined with a spray bottle of respirator-safe, EPA-approved 'Rona killer). Use rags for sterilizing groceries with bleach spray, but we want him to have something disposable since he won’t be at home.

But I switched to a ghetto bidet (squeeze bottle) during the shortage to use when I pee, and drying with rags, so we’re still ahead on paper use.

5 Likes