Recommendations: Printer for home office

Hi, this worked out well for me last time when I needed a mini vacuum…

We need a printer for home.

• Easy to connect to laptop etc wirelessly.
  • ideally a small footprint
  • print A4 in full colour.
  • Reliable.
  • Optional: flatbed scanner, but can generally do this with my phone now anyway. Handy when I want to transfer art sketches.

Anyone have excellent suggestions? I’m keen to know current good brands even if we can’t find the exact model you might recommend.

3 Likes

So, I’ve had decent luck with the HP Envy series. Fairly inexpensive but held up to proving several thousand pages so far. Ink is always super expensive

1 Like

I love my printer but it was outrageously expensive because it is a duplexing full color laser printer :face_with_hand_over_mouth: do you want to know what it is?

1 Like

I think the printer my parents just got is an HP Envy also. Seems to work fine.

1 Like

I used to work for HP but I ended up with a Cannon for our home office…:slight_smile:

As to inkjet ink… I have been refilling cartridges with a 1 quart bottle of black for a couple of years. You can get the coloured inks too.

4 Likes

I have a Canon Pixma, which has a scanner. I use the scanner instead of my phone for when a document is squished or is being sent to something particularly official. Also for scanning drawings for any simple graphics stuff I’m doing, and for old photographs. It was an inexpensive printer-scanner (someone else bought it), but boy do they make their money back on the ink though. For. Sure. And the cartridges don’t seem to last for many pages either.

So it’s worth thinking a little bit about how much you’ll print, and checking out the ink prices. Also worth remembering that as the printer gets older, the cartridges sometimes go up in price too.

General rule of thumb: Cheaper printer = more expensive ink, especially if you’re planning to print quite a bit or won’t replace it for a while.

My old laser printer was £90 a cartridge (!) but that cartridge lasted well over a year of extremely heavy use. And the quality was obviously way better too. Hope that’s useful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to know more about this process mysefl, and how it works, if you have time. No worries if not… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, Ponder requested a laser printer for… Reasons? It looks like they have less problems with toner going bad. Intermittent use and ink drying up was one of our biggest issues with our current defunct printer. More expensive but if I get a printer that actually prints when I need it, worth it.

3 Likes

I’ve decided I want to know what you’ve got (especially if there’s cheaper versions…) Because I was just looking at them and accidentally started drooling over a laser printer that prints at 1200dpi, if I was reading correctly, and I definitely don’t need that in my home but admiring fancy items is enjoyable.

1 Like

In general though, sounds like people have HP or Canon and both are just fine?

1 Like

Just the spenny ink for cheaper printers tendency is the only gripe I have with them. Bit I guess they’ve got to make their money somewheres.

1 Like

That’s literally the entire business model when it comes to cheaper printers…all but give the device itself away but mark the ink up. Doesn’t work as well when you can put in aftermarket cartriges, though.

2 Likes

My options locally are Brother or HP. I decided on the Brother printer I wanted. It’s out of stock until November.

So now I’m trying to work out which of the HP options will do what I want, or if the cheaper Brother printers do internet printing and I’m just too tired to read properly.

3 Likes

Why is life like this? You’ll get there though. The printer gods are just being a little bit awkward right now, but you will get there…

1 Like

I am still using my old Brother MFC - it is a black only laser printer/scanner/copier/fax. I keep waiting for it to die so that I can replace it with a smaller machine but so far the thing just keeps on ticking!

This is not particularly helpful other than to provide anecdotal evidence in that I have owned two inexpensive Brother machines and both of them seem to have had extreme longevity. I cannot be bothered with ink cartridges, and just send the odd document that I really need in colour to be printed locally.

(Sorry for the terrible sentence structure - I am only halfway into my morning coffee!)

2 Likes