Recipes and food ideas

I ended up eating soup, it was way too late for me to cook something from scratch! Oops!

2 Likes

Soup is delicious! :slight_smile: Still a win!

I’ve been invited to a potluck where we are to bring “comfort food.” The host has celiac and I’m not confident in my gluten-free baking skills. So I need ideas. Best I’ve come up with so far is to go with creamy/cheesy comfort food and do spinach artichoke dip. With tortilla chips. (those are OK for celiac, yeah?)

What would you bring? I prefer to make and not buy.

1 Like

Tortilla chips would depend on the brand I think.

I might make a custard rice pudding if I was in the mood for sweet and naturally gluten free.

For savory I would probably try for something sour and crunchy to have a contrast compared to what I’d expect others to bring. Maybe a sesame coleslaw with pickled ginger? Or a rice noodle salad?

1 Like

Potato salad, Black bean and corn salad, sweet potato bisque all come to mind for typical comfort food. Also chilis and chowders, lots of soups are gluten free!

3 Likes

Cowboy caviar is also a good one.

1 Like

If you get GF certified oats, fruit crumbles are a great option. A nice apple crumble would be delicious and (here in the PNW anyway) cheap options right now.

1 Like

Hmm. My crumble recipe calls for flour plus oats but I will look for a GF recipe because that sounds really good.

1 Like

I thought about something potato-related too. Our weather is having wild up and down swings but if it is cooler out, soup might work. Baked potato soup maybe? Creamy, thick, carby, cheesy.

3 Likes

I’d go with a fresh fruit tray or fresh veggie sticks and hm hummus dip.

1 Like

Made this with the following modifications. Used Becel instead of butter, and quick oats instead of old-fashioned oats. Had to bake for an hour, instead of the recommended 35 minutes, but my oven is on the cool side. It tasted great!

Strawberry Crisp

2 Likes

What’s the easiest way to use osso bucco cuts if we don’t much like the flavor of slow cooked beef? (As a starting point- We definitely tend toward Asian and Mexican flavors over French or English ones. Lemongrass and ginger >>> rosemary and red wine).

1 Like

I would cook it in the traditional method but use a Japanese flavor profile (mirin instead of wine, ginger and garlic, hot chilis, etc.). Then rather than serving on risotto or polenta I’d serve on rice w/ sesame oil and hot sauce, maybe with a side of Japanese potato salad balls?

2 Likes

Oh dear! I was going to make salmon chowder for supper, but we had no creamed corn (no problem - I made some), no evaporated 2% milk or cream (no problem - there’s some leftover coconut milk in the fridge), and then poor Hubby opened a can of crabmeat instead of salmon! To be honest they are Costco and both labels are red and black and dark and well, I could easily have done it too.

But now it’s going to be a very interesting supper. I’m going between a salmon chowder recipe from a cookbook (the veggies were already chopped) and a crab chowder recipe on the Internet. I swapped out the dill for Old Bay Seasoning. Here’s hoping it works! If this is edible I will endeavour to recreate the recipe for you. Oh, I made 2 cups double strength powdered milk to replace the rest of the evaporated milk. I don’t know if this is going to work! But the crab did need to be used up!

6 Likes

Let us know how it turns out! Many great recipes were invented like this, haha! I’m optimistic for you.

3 Likes

Just finished supper. It was great! Will post recipe in response to my own post.

5 Likes

That’s awesome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tea counts as food, right?

I need recommendations for good inexpensive grocery store tea. I’m trying very hard to convince myself that I don’t need to spend lots of money on fancy loose tea from various online sources. Parameters: no caffeine, no chamomile. I tend to like tart fruity things over warm spicy things. Some favorites are Stash lemon ginger and orange ginger, Celestial Seasonings blueberry and anything with “zinger” in the name. Also hibiscus tea is a favorite.

But, I’m bored. Maybe if I can find something with complex favor I’ll stop spending on the fancy stuff that has a huge minimum for free shipping (or in some cases no free shipping, I cannot pay $16 shipping for $20 worth of tea even if it is Krampus-themed and a small business.)

ETA: the tea sections in the grocery stores here are sparse and sad! So that makes it harder too.

7 Likes

Alright! We ate and it was great! Here’s the recipe as I did it.

Crab Chowder (Serves 4 - 1 1/2 cup servings)

2 tsp. Becel margarine (could have and should have used olive oil, but this was just fine)
1/2 cup each chopped onion and celery
1/4 cup chopped sweet green bell pepper
1 clove garlic minced
3 cups diced sweet potatoes, peeled
1 cup diced peeled carrots
1 cup each vegetable stock and water
1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 small bay leaf
1 cup diced zucchini
2 cups of reconstituted skim milk - double strength
2 cups frozen corn kernels thawed
1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat
120 grams crab meat (a 170 gram can from Costco), drained

The big secret to this recipe is to prep all the vegetables ahead of time. Trust me when I tell you, things will go much smoother once you get to the stovetop!

Cream corn slightly by pulsing in a blender with the coconut milk. You don’t want it puréed. You still want chunks of corn. Two or three quick bursts did it in our Kitchen Aid blender.

Melt margarine in 1-2 gallon pot. Sauté garlic. Add onion, celery, and green pepper. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, until onion is translucent and veggies are tender.

Add sweet potatoes, carrots, vegetable stock, water, pepper, bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning. Bring to boil. Turn down to simmer and cover for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add zucchini and simmer, covered, another 5 minutes.

Add crab meat, reconstituted powdered milk and creamed corn. If you need salt and more pepper, now is the time to add it. Cook over low heat until heated through.

3 Likes

Are there any import markets? I’d go to those. I really like mountain tea and rosehip tea. I buy both at a mediterranean market.

3 Likes