Random Questions

We’re supposed to keep our tongue on the roof of our mouth in tai chi because of something woo-ish about energy flow.

2 Likes

IHNI because now that I’m thinking about it, I can’t figure out what to do with my tongue at all.

5 Likes

I do not put my whole tongue on the roof of my mouth. Maybe the first third or quarter.
I am presumably neurotypical.

So there’s a data point.

3 Likes

Holy cow. No part of my tongue touches the roof of my mouth. Like, unless I physically will it to?

3 Likes

Haha and ALL of my tongue does all the time. Except that it is constantly moving in my mouth. But when it is still, it all rests on the roof normally. All the way to the back.

4 Likes

Anyone else just hate how aware they are of their tongue right now :rofl:

23 Likes

Hmmm not knowing the definition of “all your tongue” I would say mine does rest on the roof of my mouth. Definitely at least half of my tongue at least! I feel like my tongue is way to big for my mouth if it doesn’t curl up there. I’ve had extensive braces and surgeries so my mouth and jaw are definitely not “normal” although I suppose they are much better now that everything has been forcibly moved around to the medical establishment’s liking :woman_shrugging:t2:

I actually did some physical therapy (maybe not the right word but idk what else to call it) for this as a kid. The orthodontist said I didn’t need braces yet, but my natural tongue position was pushing my front teeth forward and made me do exercises that helped train my tongue to rest at the top of my mouth to help expand my pallet. If it worked the way it was supposed to, the tip of my tongue mostly rests right where the flat part of my pallet turns into an arch.

One of the exercises was to hold a Cheerio up there with my tongue until it dissolved.

4 Likes

Is a swamp cooler as good as normal a/c? I’m booking accomodations for a trip and the place has a central swamp cooler. My kid’s heart acts up when he overheats. I don’t know if I should look elsewhere. This is the best place in the town to stay but I don’t want my kid suffering.

6 Likes

A swamp cooler is fine until it’s humid. If there’s higher than 20-30% humidity, I find it really uncomfortable. We had them in CO and it was usually fine, but as the rainy season would start they are a lot less effective than AC.

4 Likes

Yeah, it all depends on humidity. Here a swamp cooler would not cool at all, just make mold grow faster.

4 Likes

What she said. Also, they don’t cool as much unless it would be incredibly dry. They cool things enough that you are comfortable, but there’s no icy blast. Probably get the A/C just to avoid any risk.

2 Likes

Annoyingly we’re seeing the end result of this… oldest had a “flexible tie” that we decided not to get fixed. Fast forward to 4.5, she has an extreme narrow palette and needs an expander and is falling behind expected for intelligibility of speech, likely related to the tie and/or arched pallet. It is… not impossible she could be autistic. (Classic girl issue- she’s way too social to count under most classic screening criteria, but sensory and food stuff and rigidity are the issues there). If she is, I likely would count then too, and I have a narrow enough palette I’m down 8 adult teeth to make space and had 6 years of braces/bands.

Likely genetic- based on the EDS hypermobility screening criteria I qualify, and I know that correlates with ADHD and autism too, and idk if that then also correlates with palette formation stuff- I’ve actually been intending to look into that out of my own curiosity.

8 Likes

She is so lucky to have such caring parents! There’s so much we don’t know about ADHD and autism, I hope we have better answers in the future.

7 Likes

Well this felt targeted :joy:.

Purple highlights are me things.

Ha, okay, yep it’s a thing-

3 Likes

I would say depends on temp too? Older houses in Denver used to have them, but now that we have more 90+ days people are replacing them with AC. That said I can’t tell you what temp is the cut off sorry to be less helpful

3 Likes

My guess is that it does work well in that location because there really would be no point in putting one in a place where evaporative cooling does nothing, ie, a place with high humidity. The work great if it’s dry, like the Arizona dessert. That’s what I grew up with. I didn’t know anyone who had air conditioning when I was young. But I never even see swamp coolers anywhere outside of dry places.

4 Likes

The hostel says:
We have a swamp fan that is connected to most of our private rooms, however the hostel can get hot in the summer even with the fan on. Its central air so cannot be controlled individually.

IDK if that sounds like they’re trying to be eco friendly at the expense of guest comfort or if it mostly works.

5 Likes

To me, that sounds like they’re trying to make do with a suboptimal solution because they don’t want to pay for centrail air…

(which, fair, it’d probably be expensive)

3 Likes

It’s rare that I can explain anything mechanical/electrical/physical. I actually don’t know how air conditioners work. But I understand evaporative coolers. There is a big fan in the middle that spins and sucks the air in and then blows it out through the ducts (if you have them) or just into an opening in the house. In between the fan and the hot, dry outside air are vented walls lined with pads made of a straw-like material. Additional, and very importantly, there is a water pump and tubes that line these vented walls of pads. So the water pump sends water to the pads, keeping them wet, and the fan pulls the outside air through them and the air cools in the process and that’s how you get hot air to cool and go into the building. It all falls apart if the warm outside air is already full of water because then it can’t fill up the air with cool water molecules.

So, it all comes down to humidity. What’s the average humidity of the place you are going at the time you are going there?

2 Likes