Random Questions

I bought a set of Waterford crystal champagne flutes with money my grandmother got me for our wedding in 2017, and then broke one. The pattern doesn’t seem to be in stock still, and I can’t find the email receipt. Anyone know how to find out the name of the pattern so I can try a buy a new one? It looks like this:

5 Likes

Have you tried doing a reverse image search with Google?

Possibly Ballet Ribbon?

4 Likes

That sounds right! I thought it was ballet based!

Yes that is correct, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hooray! I’ve had to do that a few times with regular dishes.

1 Like

Ooh, you’re good!

Off to visit sibling and family in a month or so, new nephling included, and was going to go ahead and get this year’s flu shot and a tdap booster before I go since I’m about due for both anyway. But as long as I’m getting stabbed, has anyone heard anything about new covid boosters? The little I’ve seen was talking about new formulas and October before availability and wasn’t sure if it was worth getting what the local pharmacies have now (last dose was about a year ago) or waiting.

1 Like

I heard the updated versions won’t be ready until end of September at the earliest. I also read that their effectiveness wanes rather quickly, so to think about timing. For example, .a lot of people will wait to get theirs in early November ahead of big holiday gatherings.

1 Like

The articles I’ve seen on this advise waiting for the new booster unless you’re particularly high risk.

1 Like

People who poshmark more often than I do: I put kind of a lowball offer on a pair of these. Is the seller going to reject me or just let it sit there? They’ve been posted since January so I was hoping they’d take the lowball offer.

In my experience they’re more likely to just reject your offer outright. Sometimes with old listings the sellers literally aren’t checking the app anymore which is… Understandable but annoying.

2 Likes

The old one does offer some protection for a few months after you get it and you will be able to get the new one (after it’s available) 2 months after your last shot. So, it depends on how locked down you’re able to be in the lead up to visiting the new baby. Covid rates are rising again right now throughout the US. Covid can make a baby really sick.

1 Like

Does anyone here have a house cleaning service?

If so, can you tell me things like how much you pay, how often they come, and how much you like/dislike it?

I’m moving from “4 days with one of them remote” to a 5-day, 100% in-office schedule, and I don’t think I’ll be able to keep up. I already drop all the “bottom of my list” cleaning tasks on the reg. - mopping, wiping baseboards and around the bottoms of our toilets, cleaning handprints off of our white cabinets, dusting.

These do get done, sometimes, but only, like, 5-6 times a year, which is not nearly often enough with kids and a ridiculously tidy husband. I notice all of it, and it SERIOUSLY stresses me out because I know my husband hates it a lot, but also I don’t care quite enough to actually do the tasks. I’m trying to decide if a bi-weekly or weekly thing will be enough / worth the money.

6 Likes

$200/every two weeks. It’s my favorite thing ever, especially with two cats. They were on vacation last week and my house is filthy and I don’t understand how I used to live without them.

4 Likes

We just went from $150 to $170 per cleaning. Once every 2 weeks. 4 br/2.5 bath house, a little under 2000 sq ft. She does deep in the kitchen and bathrooms, just vacuum/light dusting elsewhere, the occasional deeper cleaning task rotated in. Takes her plus usually a second person around 1.5-2 hours per cleaning. Independent lady running her own company, smaller town near a larger metro, I pay cash directly. She is licensed and bonded though, legit company.

7 Likes

It’s a little annoying to pick up toys etc to make it easier for her to clean, but I view that as part of the function. It forces toy rotation and regularly picking up my “hot spots” in the house. :joy: to me that’s worth it.

Oh she does nothing with our laundry or dishes.

5 Likes

Yes, being forced to clean up all the surfaces and fold clothes the night before is a feature, not a bug!

5 Likes

We’re pretty good about tidying/dishes on our main floor. My husband is pretty militant about making sure the dishes are all done at the end of the day and it’s great. We also have a roomba on the main floor, so if things don’t get cleaned up it eats them :sweat_smile:

The kids rooms are an effing disaster though. I let them have too many things in there, and they always end up on the floor regardless of if I make sure everything has a “place” in their room.

2 Likes

You can always have them skip the kids rooms if it adds stress :woman_shrugging: I have a friend who does that. On the far end of the spectrum I had a friend who had her cleaning lady help do laundry, change sheets, etc while her husband was deployed. You can negotiate for what you want, it’s not a set menu.

4 Likes

We have cleaners that come every two weeks. We have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house, about 2800 sq feet. We pay $160 (plus tip) for a service. They estimated after seeing the space so I think we are on the low end for the size of our place because we don’t have a lot of stuff and only have two people living here to mess it up.

We previously had an independent person who charged similar rates (actually a little less) but did a much better job. Sadly for us, she retired a few years ago. The current service is fine, but not great. The pros of going with a service - they are much quicker since they come with 2-3 people and it’s very easy to schedule/reschedule as needed. They do an ok job, but not terrific. With the independent cleaner I’d often come home and be surprised at something she cleaned that I hadn’t even noticed needed it until I saw it sparkling. I’d prefer to find an independent person again but it’s so much more difficult that I haven’t really tried.

5 Likes

I have someone come every 2 weeks. $150 per cleaning. There are usually 3-4 people at a time and they are done in an hour. 2100 sq ft, 4 bedroom and 3 bathrooms. We do have everything picked up and the kids rooms are always the worst when it comes to frantically cleaning up so they can vacuum and wipe down surfaces.

4 Likes