Random Questions

Approx 30 years ago I wore comfy sequined dresses to high school dances. I recall them being lined and not too heavy. They were probably light because they were cheap, but I don’t want a heavy dress for comfort reasons. I would avoid heavy sequins or heavy sequins plus beading. I’d also make sure it’s lined throughout with stretch fabric and the parts that touch skin/trim is smooth.

3 Likes

When you do fun dress activities, do your arms rub against your body? My biggest issue with sequined dresses is arms + body sequins = snags or pain.

8 Likes

Possibly? I’d have to hold my elbows out, I guess. Maybe sequins are not for me and I should acquire a different kind of fun dress :joy: Comfort is pretty high up on my priority list!

3 Likes

Maybe only sequins at the bottom where your arms won’t rub?
Like a layer of sequins toward the bottom and perhaps even some… fringe (me trying to make everything Cowboy-ish)?

5 Likes

Haha I’m not specifically looking for a sequined dress, I’ve been looking for some new dresses since my old ones are no longer fitting :sob: I saw that one and thought it was cute! And the price is right. But approaching with caution because: sequins.

5 Likes

Ahhh ok. Understood!

1 Like

Ooh fun dress shopping. Less painful/stabby embellishments, depending on the vibe you want: ruffles / flounces, metallic fabric, fringe, velvet, brocades, beading…

3 Likes

Considering this one. It would be much longer on me because I’m so short. The model probably can’t bend over :joy: But realistically, would I ever actually wear this??

2 Likes

That one is giving more cocktail wedding vibes. Very limited usage.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I think no fun dress for me, unless the perfect one happens to cross my path. Back to my boring closet.

1 Like

My mom bought us a bunch of baby clothes and they all came out of the dryer with a bunch of black marks on them, including an outfit me and my siblings all wore. I’m really bummed. I tried both water and vinegar to get the stains out but I don’t think it worked at all. What might be some safe things to try?

3 Likes

Soak in oxyclean for an hour, then wash as usual? Sorry :frowning_face:

1 Like

Shout? A bar of laundry soap (eg, Fels Naptha) rubbed on it?

1 Like

We stopped composting food scraps a few months after finding out that we can no longer put ANY paper in our municipal compost cart. We are getting too many pests in the compost cart and it smells like literal shit all the time.

From an environmental standpoint, is it worth buying special compost pail liners if that keeps our food scraps out of the garbage? We are only allowed to use CMA-approved pail liner bags, no paper bags or newspaper (which is what we used to use).

We are not interested in starting out own compost pile. Hard pass for several reasons.

3 Likes

my go to for hard to get out stains is always dawn + toothbrush, let it sit for a few hours, and then wash again

2 Likes

I vote oxy bucket. It’s also my top tip for surviving infancy and outdoor feral children. Mixing bowl lives on your washing machine. Small scoop of baby oxyclean (way less scent). Water. Drop clothes in. Ignore overnight. Empty whole bowl, water and all, into wash tomorrow. Do not put in dryer unless stains come out, otherwise continue to treat with another method if it’s something precious.

I’ve gotten mec poo out of white muslin with this method, zero scrubbing required, love it.

6 Likes

Although thinking about it if it’s a weird door or bearing thing it may be grease, so dish soap is your best bet. Oxy is great for all things organic in origin.

7 Likes

We do this too. It’s the best and only thing that has worked for poop stains!!

3 Likes

I’m not sure…we are doing a mix of compostable liners and not. Food waste is a big source of greenhouse gases but so is manufacturing. I don’t think there’s an easy way to tell.

In case it helps, I got a clear plastic freezer bin and we put all food scraps in there until compost day. We have a calendar alert to take it add and add it to the compost bin every Monday. (Spouse prefers to use liners in the plastic bin and I don’t lol).

3 Likes

Yeah, the Boy is a no on keeping it on the freezer- we have a very annoying side by side and things already fall out at us with some regularity!

2 Likes