Random Questions

I uninstalled our old one and installed our new one… Two years ago? I did fuck up the electric the first time and fortunately the fail-safes worked, but uh make sure you follow the electrical instructions. The plumbing part was actually pretty easy.

2 Likes

Question 1: Has anyone used Framebridge before? Good or bad experiences welcome!

Question 2: Is it possible to take a professional framed piece and switch it to something new in the frame? Are the mats usually glued on in some way, or if I just slice open the back will I be able to finagle it into something I want?

3 Likes

Usually they’re just taped to the mat, so if you open it up you should be able to take the art out and replace it.

Let’s say that you move into a new house, and several Amazon packages for the old owner are delivered in the next few days. Amazon says the packages are not their problem. The previous owners have moved to a different city and you have no way to contact them.

How long do those packages have to stay in your garage? One package is a set of cookie pans, no idea about the others.

4 Likes

I would give the old owners 3 months if I had space in the garage.

1 Like

Would the realtor know how to contact them to see if they even want to come get them? If they are not too far away at least.

6 Likes

I would probably contact my realtor and ask them to pass the info on. But in Canada you’d have pretty much no obligation to do anything. I’d include an offer to hold for 2 weeks/ put it out for a porch pickup so they don’t ask you to hold it for 6 months. But hopefully since they are out if state they tell you to keep it (probably depends on the value of box 2)

2 Likes

Yep we had our realtor contact our previous owners for family cards (seemed like grad cards for one of the kids) They got word etc, had someone come pick them up.

4 Likes

Our power will be shut down for most of the work day on Friday. What can we expect to stay good for how long:
-in the fridge
-in the fridge freezer
-in the chest freezer

Do we need to plan to empty it all out or will it be okay for a while? I do have a thermometer for the chest freezer.

Interested in personal experiences as well as official advice!

1 Like

The freezer should be fine if relatively full. For the fridge, I would probably toss any dairy or leftovers. I personally am comfortable with most non cut produce or condiments as long as the fridge is still cool. If the freezer is not full you can fill water bottles or Tupperware part way with water to keep it cool. I have personally experienced several hurricane outages.

Can you fill some empty containers with water, freeze them, then put those in the fridge in the day of the outage? Fridges are supposed to be very well insulated because it makes them more energy efficient, so opening the door is the biggest problem with keeping things cold.

For the freezer, you can freeze a small cup of water, then put a coin on top of the frozen water. Put that in the freezer. After your power comes back on if the coin has submerged at all then you know stuff got unfrozen (even if it refroze later).

CDC link here:

Edit:we did have our power out recently for… Six to eight hours? Somewhere in that window. I honestly don’t remember if we threw anything out but it wasn’t stuffed full to begin with. The milk still felt cold to the touch at the end of the day right before the power came back.

7 Likes

@BiblioFeroz this will help a lot for sure (both in the fridge and freezer). My main concern would be milk, but that’s easy to see by smell whether it’s still ok. If you put it next to a frozen bottle it should be good.

We’ve had a power outage for multiple days (during the winter though) and didn’t have to toss anything. We keep a lot of frozen raw meat cat food in the freezer and I always put freezer gel packs around them. You could also ask around and see if anyone has some to give you.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest getting a bag of ice to put in the fridge or freezer.
Do you have any coolers that you use for camping, etc.? You can put things in there with ice. My rule of thumb when camping is if I still have ice in the cooler it still counts as refrigerated and I don’t worry about food spoilage (at least, not for temperature reasons).
Obviously, minimizing opening the doors will help a lot as well.

2 Likes

Dh said he emailed the realtor and never heard back, but he’s not very reliable about email. I looked through our closing paperwork and there’s nothing there.

3 Likes

Seconding this. If you can put two or three frozen 2-liter or gallon bottles of water in the fridge and keep it closed, everything in there will be fine. The chest freezer probably doesn’t even need that, but a couple won’t hurt if there’s not much in it. But I’d move the fridge freezer contents over instead if it’s one or the other (and then stick those frozen bottles in the empty fridge freezer to help keep the fridge compartment cool).

Bottles that you freeze in the chest freezer are better than ones frozen in the fridge freezer because they’ll be colder to start. But either way, this should hold everything for 24 hours if you don’t open (maybe zip tie the handles since you have kids who are likely to forget?) Put stuff you want for just the day in a cooler if you have one.

3 Likes

I’d consider that your due diligence and wait maybe a month. Then it is your housewarming gift!

3 Likes

We picked up a kids roleplaying game called No Thank You Evil which is basically baby-D&D. We’ve run it a few times and now we need more story ideas, any suggestions?

Ideas we’ve done so far:

• A friendly, silly creature got lost and it turned out it was kidnapped by witches in a cave, we explored and had to cross a rickety bridge at one point and rescued the creature from the witches.
  • A bunch of dog toys were stolen from a pet shop, the evidence pointed to a pack of werewolves so we had to track them down and ask for them back.
  • The Sweedish Chef wanted to do Taco Tuesday for everyone in the land but was missing cheese, so we had to figure out how to get materials for a rocket and go to the moon to get moon cheese. On the way we ran into an octopus-alien who helped with shredding all the cheese and preparing all the other ingredients for the big taco party. (We ran this one recently which is why I remember the most about it.)
7 Likes

Have you used ZipCar? What has your experience been?

Background: Next month I’m spending a few days in a different city for work. I’m staying right downtown near the conference location, so I don’t need a car and I wouldn’t ask work to pay for a car. But I used to live in this city and would like to visit some places that I remember from when I lived there 20+ years ago. I’d like more freedom to pop by a lot of random places than I’d get taking Uber/Lyft. I looked at renting a car but prices are incredibly high. There’s lots of ZipCar locations in the downtown area, so I was thinking that might work for some trips around town.

Paging @TrisPrior because I remember you have used ZipCar before.

Sounds super cute!! Howwwww about…

• You need to find a birthday present for the queen, perhaps parts of the present are scattered around a magical forest?
  • Due to an unfortunate mishap a dessert factory explodes and you have to clean up the mess (melt ice cream blocking a door, cross a hot fudge river, etc.)
5 Likes

I’ll just gently point out that you’re travelling for work and giving up your usual living environment 24/7 for that time. Part of the cost of business for employers is paying for all travel, including local. At the least, they should reimburse you for the ZipCar.

4 Likes