Random Questions

I took ibuprofen beforehand and that did help. Also during the procedure, pick a spot on the ceiling and focus on it really intensely while doing measured breaths.

2 Likes

Range of experiences could be anything from nbd to real bad. If they’re on the real bad side of the spectrum or they need lots of tried to get it in, it’s ok to stop and reschedule for a time with more drugs on board (inc. Valium, drugs to open cervix, or even twilight sedation if it’s absolutely no go).

5 Likes

I’ve had several and the best experience I had was: Ibuprofen and a cervical dilator pill before (I think it’s mifepristone, though, so may not be available everywhere), topical anesthetic and ultrasound guided during. It was positively civilized. I’ve also had a completely uncivilized attempt with no meds of any kind and I don’t recommend that way.

4 Likes

I was fine a half hour and didn’t need a day in bed after but I did almost faint 5 minutes after. Probably have someone’s drive you on the off chance.

:eyes::eyes:

I’m always looking for non-strawberry rhubarb recipes. And rhubarb has just started appearing at our grocery store! That shrub sounds goooood.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat - never had kids, have IUD. I didn’t find the insertion process too bad, though, so I might not be the right person to ask. My doctor recommended taking 800 mg of ibuprofen an hour or two before, which I did. She mentioned that if I could schedule the insertion when I was having my period sometimes that was easier because of something with the cervix that I don’t remember (maybe that it was more dilated?) I didn’t do that though, just because of scheduling. The doctor doing the insertion said that they could give a lidocaine shot for numbing if I wanted (I skipped it, but if your friend finds it painful or is really nervous I’d think that could be an option).

It sounds like there is a wide range of experiences with it and I’m definitely on the “not too bad” side of things.

4 Likes

It’s so good! I love it mixed with seltzer or in a cocktail.

1 Like

My experience leads me to advise “don’t do it.” I had the cervix dilator on board, was on my period, took the max Tylenol that I was told was overkill, and still ended up screaming and writhing in pain for the 15 minutes they took to insert. Then I was incapable to driving myself home and had to have my husband come pick me up and I spent a full day in bed followed by 2 months of make me puke cramps.

So yeah. Experience may vary.

I wish someone had pointed this out to me as an option.

Edited to add: also I wish that I knew at the time that my experience was Not Okay and an indicator that something was wrong instead of me just being a wuss.

12 Likes

It’s over fast, and it’s better than childbirth, pain-wise, so it helps to remember that instead of screaming.

1 Like

Yeah but I actually had more pain from my IUD than childbirth because I had an epidural. :joy:

3 Likes

No one wants to hear about my unmedicated child births being easy and worth it and I don’t want to hear about their unmedicated IUD insertions being easy and worth it :joy:

Also of note, at 4 months of the latest IUD I am considering getting it yanked, the insertion was better than the first, but the side effects are worse

10 Likes

I was 17yo when I got my first IUD, and I think I had a higher pain tolerance in my extreme youth. LOL I was considerably less happy when that fucker was recalled and I had to have it out!

2 Likes

FWIW while I had a not terribly unpleasant experience with the IUD on the scale of outcomes, I still vastly preferred the arm implant.

1 Like

I wish there was a way to predict how bad the pain will be for a given insertion or person! The spectrum is so wide and then you could painkiller appropriately.

2 Likes

What would you use as self-definition if you couldn’t use stuff, money or career?

I found a book about the history of consumerism which prompted this, Buying by Gutman.

Mine would be old lady, childless, gardener, recovering hoarder, PTSD victim, white.

Although I should remove the hoarder as it has to do with stuff and money.

1 Like

Question on proper name usage for trans folks-

If telling a story about a childhood memory, should you use their current name or old/dead name? I was thinking current name and a careful consideration of if even telling the story in the first place is a good idea to make sure it’s relevant and not harmful.

I also think each person might feel differently so maybe I should ask and not assume it’s the same for everyone?

If this question is offensive, I will delete.

9 Likes

I have one friend who wants current name and pronouns used for everything always, including reminisces. A different friend uses past pronouns and name when talking about past them, to honour the person they were. I’m sure there’s a general rule/ best practice, but in my own life people’s preference has varied.

9 Likes

There are birds that hoard, so I think it should still work since it is related to the activity and takes out the meaning of the stuff itself. It is not strictly an economic thing imo.

As for myself, I am still trying to figure it out, but I do feel like the idea of editing/curator/helping find the nugget and building on it in a slightly different direction than initially planned might be part of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, among people I know this has varied. I would err on the side of current name + asking preference.

5 Likes

Do we think I can uninstall our broken dishwasher and install a new one or should I call a plumber?

Related, would a dishwasher fit in a Prius or should I pay for delivery?