Random Questions

Ah, gotcha. Thank you!

1 Like

If shares have started vesting I would expect so, but it’s possible it’s all electric for whatever brokerage you’re at. Hopefully their chat link/help person would be able to tell you where the release confirmations are. Basically you need to know the total shares that were awarded, the shares traded for taxes (or you can tell how many were traded based on how many were actually issued to you from that batch, I guess), and then the market price per share on the release date.

3 Likes

Ok that’s good to know- I’ll look into it. It’s probably all electronic or being forwarded to dh without him realizing it. Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Our company used to grant RSUs but then you could see that you were allocated a certain number of shares but then only received 2/3rds of them since the rest were withheld for taxes. Definitely check with HR or the brokerage if you’re not sure what’s happening in your case.

I think you’re already planning for this, but if you hold onto the shares and then they go up a lot in value you’ll owe a lot of tax later and that can be a nasty surprise come tax time! I think putting aside about 30% of any gains should cover the taxes.

Regarding when to sell, that’s really up to you and your risk tolerance! If you sell right away you won’t get gains if the stocks go up but you also won’t incur losses if the stocks drop in value. If your husband continues to work at that company he should expect to get stocks every year, so if it were me I’d just sell them when I receive them and then invest in index funds which will be a much more diversified and safe investment for the long run.

4 Likes

Thank you! Using 30% as a general rule sounds like a good solution for me, especially as these are not very large sums of money at the moment. I don’t feel like I need to get super granular.

I’m definitely convinced to sell! I think once I figure out the details I don’t know, which are a lot more things than I realized (lol, of course), I’ll start selling with regular frequency.

I have one more question: how can I tell which brokerage handles our stocks? I know who his 401(k) is through, but the stock website is this super old ass looking site (computer share) and it seems like an intermediary thing and not the actual brokerage itself. Also- is there some…code(?) or something I could look for to figure out if these are RSUs? I’d like to minimize the amount of questions I pass on to dh.

ETA: And thank you all for your kindness and patience and lack of mockery! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does he have an employer handbook or detailed benefits guide? That’s where we answer some of the questions you have that would be specific to the company (what brokerage do we use, what are the restricted dates, etc). Our payroll team handles this but I know it’s kind of an unusual structure, idk who does it normally. We are on the lower end of the having our shit together spectrum, and we have it, so I bet he would too.

5 Likes

Ooo, I don’t know if this exists! It’s a decent-sized company so I bet it does. Part of the problem (sometimes) is that I do all the finances but he’s the one with the job. So it’s totally possible he has a handbook and has never mentioned it or isn’t even aware of it. I’ll find out. Thank you!

ETA: And I’ll stop monopolizing this thread now! But you all owe me $200 when you pass go.

11 Likes

Hmm, seems to me that you owe all the tutors $200 when YOU pass “GO”.

5 Likes

Has anyone been in Spain lately? Are normal small transactions mostly done with cash or cards?

My international travel has all been to Latin America where cash is the norm, but I live in Canada where cash is nearly obsolete. I’d like to know what to expect and maybe have a plan for getting more cash when I’m there, if needed.

4 Likes

From a coworker who just mentioned having visited Spain: Tourist areas usually either (unless a really small business), outside of tourist areas cash remains king.

2 Likes

I did a Google and it appears that they are your brokerage! If you have any questions (RSUs or not; how are they taxed) they should be able to help you.

3 Likes

Yeah, I inherited some stocks and they were with Computer Share, that would be your brokerage. I sold them and transferred the money to Vanguard index funds.

3 Likes

Random but (hopefully) kind of fun question: I came across this listing: 350 Arapahoe Ave UNIT 26, Boulder, CO 80302 | MLS #975839 | Zillow

It says that it resides on a land lease. How does that work? Is that an additional monthly payment in addition to the HOA fees and mortgage? I don’t think I’ve encountered this outside of mobile home parks where you buy the home but rent the spot.

4 Likes

I don’t know what that means, but it sounds super risky! But the house is adorable and I love the glass.

1 Like

Me too!! It’s also an absolutely fantastic location - walking distance to amazing trails that have terrible parking. So cute…but the whole land lease thing, sigh

2 Likes

Can you get a copy of the lease? It really depends on the terms!

My in-laws had a ranch that had a small portion of deeded land, but the majority was leased from the forest service. Cost and usage was very much tied to forest service rules.

4 Likes

True, I guess I don’t have to assume the worst without actually looking at it :rofl:

3 Likes

I used to own a unit in a cooperative (similar to a condo but with a different ownership structure) and our building was on a land lease. The land lease was part of a program the city had created to help keep housing affordable (but not part of any income-restricted programs or anything like that). In my case, the land lease payment AND the property taxes were factored into the monthly co-op fee, but other co-ops or condos may set theirs up differently. You would need to ask them to find out. The savvy real estate agents who sold units in our building would have fact sheets available with a breakdown of the total monthly costs for the units they were selling, including the land lease, property taxes, maintenance, etc.

I was on the building’s board of directors before I moved away and I learned a ton about how it worked.

2 Likes

This is super interesting, thank you! I had no idea this was a thing

1 Like

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for going above and beyond! I’ll reach out to them directly with questions. Thanks to you too @Rosie !

2 Likes