Random Questions

Thanks for mentioning the Amanda jeans. I have 3 pr that I bought at Costco many years ago. I need new ones, but Costco hasn’t had them in a long time. I wrongly assumed they aren’t made anymore. Woo Hoo! JC Penny’s has them. I’ll try a pr on in person and maybe order a few more online. Seriously, these are the only jeans that fit me well.

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve tried stitch fix, Nordstrom trunk club and short story, and I have liked short story best.

3 Likes

I’ve tried Short Story, too. I learned of it from Noodle! I do like it and I think it might even work out better for you. My struggle is that I’m at the upper limit in size to find things in petite. You’re not supposed to be fat if you are also short, it seems. But if you’re a size 12 I think you will get a lot of good options. Especially in things you can wear to work. My experience had been better in work clothes from them than in casual but again, I don’t know what I’d get if I were a smaller size.

3 Likes

You are also not supposed to be pregnant or nursing!

3 Likes

I am also a wearer exclusively of the Amanda jeans, which guarantees that they are no current style. But they come in a variety of fabrics and colors and the “short” in my size fits me. I’m 5’2”, though. They really are the shortest I’ve found, though.

Kohls carries them, which is where I bought my original pair, but they turn up at Goodwill regularly.

2 Likes

Ha, I actually found some at Goodwill last year that I hacked off (they were regular length) to be gardening jeans! They do fit pretty great.

4 Likes

I just bought some JAG jeans and they are really comfortable for my adult woman body. The waist is elastic but doesn’t look it (still has regular fly and button, but also an elastic waistband).

Can’t speak to length availability or hemmability, though. They are regular jeans hem, but I don’t know what that means for shortening.

3 Likes

I happened to pass by a Lucky store that was closing, and everything was 80% off! Mostly it was only jeans left. I got them in short (I am 5’2") and I can’t believe how comfortable they are. It’s thin soft denim with a bit of stretch. I thought I was over jeans but these have made me believe in them again.

2 Likes

The last time I bought jeans was from uniqlo and they wore out by the end of 2020 (maybe because they were also worn 8 months pregnant and postpartum a full size bigger than when I bought them. Probably not). Anyway, they were stretch denim and technically jeggings. But a really good imitation. They left some room in the cut so they didn’t fit skin tight everywhere and looked normal. Like at work people wouldn’t believe me and then I would stretch them way out and then they would buy their own and thank me.

So I didn’t suggest them earlier because they don’t fit the jeans brief, but maybe we all need them anyway. Also uniqlo does free hemming in store (always go there first in the mall if you want pants)

3 Likes

You have just described my entire jeans-buying process. When I’m down to a pair or two I go to Goodwill or the local thrift store, try on a bunch until I find a couple that feel good through the waist and hips, and then hack them to length (patching holes and hemming jeans being the great extent of my sewing skills). It means ending up with odd faded patches on my shins courtesy of other people’s knees, but having to buy a couple pairs from an actual store-store during the height of covid convinced me it’s worth it.

(ETA–I’m an engineer so basically no one cares what I wear…according to one coworker I’m one of the better dressed people at work since very few of my shirts are advertisements for local breweries)

7 Likes

Can someone please help me find a script to call my political reps and use words other than “What the fuck you fucking fucks?”

Rage inducing Florida bullshit

I’ve looked a bit into the PDF of the bill itself too so I’m not just going off random internet picture

12 Likes

That is absolutely insane!

4 Likes

This seems like eminently reasonable phrasing under the circumstances.

(sorry, no actual useful suggestion other than WTF, though)

6 Likes

That fucker is going to be the next president of the US too. I honestly don’t see any other future.

4 Likes

I refuse to heart your post.

5 Likes

I really like 5calls.org for making political calls because they’ve got scripts simple enough for me to follow without just foaming at the mouth.

And it’s super interesting to learn who answers their phones and who does not.

2 Likes

What is the best nonfiction book you’ve read lately?

2 Likes

The power of fun
How to keep house while drowning

6 Likes

Oh! And I recently got a copy of the complete tightwad gazette from the library. I’ve never read any of it before and it’s very fun so far. Some inspiration, some like… archeology vibes. That’s not the right word but I’m blanking. Like a delightful cultural expedition with “walk down memory lane” vibes as a 90s farm kid/frugal family kid.

7 Likes

I’m going through this entire book and taking notes of everything that is useful to me, which I already didn’t know. About 60% of the way through and have like 15 items circled/bookmarked.

2 Likes