Random Questions

I work with someone who is super non-responsive, and letters from lawyers don’t work. Unfortunately I do think showing up in person would be the way to go. I know SirB travels a lot, is he in that area? Or could add it on to a trip?

Another idea is escalating it to the most senior person at the clinic you can find: most senior doctor? Even better, if they are owned by a parent company, an executive there?

5 Likes

Okay I got ahold of the lady that’s been dodging me finally. I think she’s assumed I’m an idiot and they had it all figured out with New Clinic, and when I pointed out we’d done no release of liability or anything for Old Clinic, and would they just turn over embryos to anyone who showed up and asked with nothing to cover their asses? And I think she realized… wait I’m the idiot.

Anyway, supposedly I’ll have a follow up call at 9am. We’ll see.

22 Likes

Yay! Forward movement, we love to see it.

4 Likes

Part of the problem is there’s only one doctor, and no contact info for anyone. There’s the one gatekeeper you can get ahold of and that’s it. Next step had been finding and messaging the doctor on LinkedIn if I can find him, so hopefully I don’t have to go there and they’ll deal with this today.

8 Likes

SO MANY CALLS AND EMAILS. So many. Her excuse for not replying to my Friday morning email was that yesterday morning their phones were down for 2 hours in the morning :roll_eyes: I made sympathetic noises and said that must have been hard on the staff and she seemed relieved. Yes yes I’ll be nice but do what I need dammit.

15 Likes

If your 9am call doesn’t work, then I agree with Smacky here. But also I think politicians can be helpful for this stuff. RLG is in health insurance, and he’s seen that both medical offices and insurance offices get super concerned if they hear from a local politician. All of a sudden things can kick into gear, especially if your complaint to their office is around the ethics of them holding your embryos hostage, or suggesting that they may be doing something untoward by dodging you. A call from their office to the medical office can often magically unstick something that was absolutely stuck.

7 Likes

Interesting. How would that work when I don’t live in the city anymore? TBH I’d be hesitant to do anything like that though. IVF is currently under major political attack, I would hate to embolden anyone.

2 Likes

I think most people call or write their own representative, not necessarily the one where the business is located. I understand the hesitation, and for me it’s definitely a last resort option, but I have done it once for a health thing of mine that was tied up in bureaucracy. It was a different situation entirely, but since then I’ve seen other people do it with a lot of success. I almost think it’s less scorched earth than the lawyer option because with that you’re actually threatening them. With the politician thing, it’s just you asking your representative to nudge them.

3 Likes

Does Apple have Black Friday sales? Or is there another way or time I can look for a discount on a new MacBook? (I don’t want an old or refurbished one–considering how long I’ve managed to keep this one going, I’m pretty sure I’m gentler on computers than most other people.)

(Yes, if you read my Tiny Complaint, I am trying to apply my own lesson and upgrade before it is the worst time.)

6 Likes
4 Likes

Are you a student or a teacher or a PTA board member? There are education discounts.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you! @Cranky Not currently, but good to know.

You can also check Costco for prices if you are a member. If you are not a member, If you give me model specifics, I can look up the price (if Costco has it), so at least you have a comparison.

1 Like

I just came here to say this- the recent Costco deals include some apple computers. I think “just” $100 off though? Nothing insane insane.

for my fellow scent sensitive people, wondering if anyone has recommendations for candles that aren’t terribly scented, or don’t give you migraines? I just gave myself a headache smelling candles at Target because I was determined to find something I could tolerate, even though I know I’ve never found any before…I don’t mind using a diffuser, but I want a crackling wood wick candle damn it! I’ve seen beeswax candles that supposedly don’t have a smell at all, or just smell slightly like honey, but wondering if there are any other good options out there?

8 Likes

Beeswax candles are my preference, and there are some soy candles with natural kinds of scents that are also nice. Both of these kinds of candles are more clean burning than paraffin and tend not to have that cloying scent that sticks in the room afterward. I like getting beeswax tealights and just burning one at a time, used to get small pillar candles but once it burns down the middle you’re left with a hollow pillar (I was able to give them away to candle making emthusiasts to upcycle). They do indeed have very little scent, just a slight honey smell!

6 Likes

IDK about the wood wick but I like this site.

You can sort by unscented! I buy from them a lot and they’re consistently high quality.

2 Likes

This is my favorite candle company, the scents are light and real. They have an oat milk one that isn’t in season but these two might be nice for you! Sorry no crackle wicks.

5 Likes

I bought the tomato leaf one on your recommendation last year. It is definitely nice and light, but I don’t think it smells too much like actual tomato leaf! (maybe it would when there are no tomato leaves around to compare against! :joy:) I would buy from them again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

(Maybe it wasn’t a recommendation, but you mentioned it, and I therefore had to buy it. Lol.)

2 Likes