Random Questions

I think this comment is moot because paying back a loan, but just in case: There is also a lifetime gift exemption of $12M so even if the annual limit is exceeded, it’s still not taxed unless the lifetime total to that recipient exceeds $12M. (It was recently extended because Congress is all about generational wealth.)

2 Likes

For transferring between accounts I had to do a bunch of setup. It was kind of annoying. A physical check is much easier.

We bought a brand new car with a personal check, so you don’t need anything fancy, it just takes a few days to clear.

1 Like

I haven’t read all the posts so I don’t know if this is relevant, but my credit union has a limit on how large of a check can be deposited on the app. When my mom wanted to give me a significant amount of money a while back, she ended up using 2 checks so I could deposit via app.

1 Like

I’m bored and want to try playing a computer game. Does anyone have recommendations for games I can play without downloading? I like word games but not the type where you have to look at letters and rearrange them into a word (like scrabble) because I literally don’t have that part of my brain or something and I straight up can’t do it.

I really like boggle and analogy type stuff, wordplay, etc. Like years and years ago there was a game called Strike-a-Match (boxer jam) and I loved that. Is there something similar?

The game I really liked was all stuff like this

138949-Strike-a-Match_b-2062619008

1 Like

OH MY GOD I FOUND ONE. Haha, this is crazy. When I looked up screenshots of the old game I saw one that looked similar but slightly different and it’s perfect for me!!!

https://www.jamandcandy.com/kissin-kuzzins/

2 Likes

I don’t have any suggestions but I smiled at the mention of Boxer Jam. A member of my family worked there for quite some time.

1 Like

That’s so cool!

1 Like

However, if you give over $16,000 to one recipient in a year, you do have to file a gift tax form (the gifter does). You won’t owe any taxes, but it will count against your lifetime $12.06 million exclusion. The lifetime exclusion is not per recipient, it’s counted against your entire lifetime limit for all gifts over $16,000. That limit is transferrable between spouses, so for married spouses it is $24.12 million.

The $15,999 you can gift per year is to each person. It’s an extra allowance. So you can give everyone $15,999 per year (until lifetime uniform credit expires in 2025) PLUS give away $12.06 million before it starts owing gift taxes.

7 Likes

The big risk (I feel) in this case is I’m not sure I trust the people in question to like…ensure they have the money in the account and it won’t bounce.

2 Likes

I’m about to spend approximately 1 million dollars on house stuff. A lot of it probably will be by check, but I think it’s time to get a new rewards credit card. Anything with an excellent initial bonus that people have tried out? We don’t travel that much and I’m not that organized so I’d prefer cash back over points unless the points are pretty straightforward.

7 Likes

I’d cash that check fast, at any rate!

(In the case of our car, we wrote the check and picked up the car the next day; in the meantime they had zipped right over to the bank and gotten the $.)

2 Likes

How high of a spend you think you will have on credit card? $15K or more?

Cash back better for you? do you currently have any cash back programs like chase UR or amex?

1 Like

I think we will easily spend $5k, probably spend $10k and could finagle $15-20k if we planned well.

We currently have the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred as our “groceries and gas” card and the Amazon chase card for the rest of the expenses.

1 Like

Chase Sapphire preferred is doing some good sign up bonuses. I can give you my referral link if you are interested in that one.

3 Likes

Sure!

Now you can earn 60,000 bonus points with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card. If you apply and get approved, we can both earn rewards:

1 Like

Thanks! Now I just have to remember to do this…

I think the rotating categories card might be better for you, kenne dig it up!

2 Likes

If you’re planning on a lot of spend at home improvement stores vs a contractor or something like that, there are some cards that will give 5%…Citi Custom Cash is 5% back on one category per month (you could pick hardware stores every month, but after $500 it switches to 1% so you’d probably want this plus something else), and Discover/Chase Freedom/Affinity rotate categories but I haven’t seen 2023 published so it just depends when/if they’d be useful. But if you’re doing a lot of spending at home improvement stores, this seems like one of the cases where a store-branded card that gets you an automatic 5% off might actually be the easiest.

3 Likes

How can I tell if a burn is getting infected? And do I have to go in for this or is there something OTC I can buy? I burn myself a lot (cooking) but this latest burn is looking a little funky. It’s on my wrist over my veins so I’m wondering if it’s just bc there’s no fat on that part of the body? Like maybe it burned deeper? But it’s pretty odd looking and IDK.

Oh and thus far I’ve been doing clean - neosporin - bandage. It’s a bit

gross detail

Wet? Like liquid is coming out and one part of it looks almost bumpy? Like it’s normal and red mostly but then there’s a center bit that keeps scabbing and falling off and each time it does it is wet, and it looks like, almost little ridges or something? But the area isn’t getting bigger and there’s no like, red line coming out of it or anything. It does hurt and itch a bit more than my usual burns do but again that might be bc it’s right on my wrist?

Sryyyyy so gross lol

3 Likes