Random Questions

Either one! I’d just like to use it for flowers and didn’t read the small print!

Our house had solar when we bought it and last year it saved us about $1200. In our state there are a lot of incentives that quickly add up. That being said, I don’t think I would install it myself. I’m concerned about the environmental impact of disposing of the panels at their end of life. And I think this system cost about $20,000 to install and will last about 20 years, so given the $1200 a year we’re saving we would not come out very far ahead if we had payed for it at the beginning. Our panels are covered with snow for about 3 months though and during that time we make 0 kw.

6 Likes

What e-reader do I want? Never had one before but preparing for lots of nights I will only have one hand free

5 Likes

Where do you get most of your books from? I get most of my books from my library through the Libby app, so having a Kindle is really nice because I can just load it up through Amazon and it’s in the right format.

2 Likes

I don’t read ebooks right now, but I imagine I’d get ‘em from the library!

2 Likes

If you’ve got the patience to go hunting, I’ve had decent luck with Kindle Unlimited. I wouldn’t pay full price, but a free sample month or 3mo/$0.99 are pretty common promotions (although I only sign up when I’m about to go on a trip since I tend to prefer hardcopy so ‘common’ for me means maybe once or twice a year).

It does take being willing to sort through some bad stuff to find the gems, though. For a while my hard sci-fi was getting lumped together with vampire romances, and while that particular categorization issue seems to be fixed, I still check reviews before downloading anything as a first line of defense against authors who haven’t bothered to employ an editor.

1 Like

I love love love my Kobo Libra H2O (waterproof!). I got it in April 2020 when I quit my job and I check out tons of library books using Overdrive. It feels great in the hand and I love that you can change the color temp to be daylight or more warm for night. And the price has dropped since I bought mine! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh and I have the paper white. It can have a backlight, but I really appreciate the “not screen time” aspect. Also mine is like 7 years old and the battery still lasts for like 2 entire books a lot of times.

5 Likes

Check w your specific library. Some systems have different apps (i.e. overdrive, Libby, etc) Your library reference desk will have the scoop of what plays nice best. :slight_smile: I didn’t and now i have a Nook that can’t get library books. :joy:

7 Likes

Oh yeah I should really just ask a librarian next time I’m in there, good call

5 Likes

I would check with your library for compatibility. I have a kindle which doesn’t integrate with my library and a kobo which does. For bith i like small, eink, and warm light. Used are usually easy to find. Kindle unlimited is really good fir romance and has some good thrillers. I sign up for a promo period when new mark dawson books come out

5 Likes

One thing that worries me is I know ebook vendors are terrible for libraries to work with and always price gouging and I know of a few larger library systems that decided to switch services. So then I’d be out of luck. But I guess that’s the downside of ebook reading in general—all paper formats are compatible with uhhh my eyes and hands :joy:

5 Likes

When you do decide what will work best, try asking on Buy Nothing! I almost never see them offered but when someone asks for one, there’s almost always one available :joy: I think a lot of people have them just floating around unused.

5 Likes

Does anyone have eyelash extensions? I am wondering how appropriate they’d be if I don’t really have a lot of lashes to begin with?

3 Likes

I fully support this! I got them for years, and only stopped I developed an allergy to the glue (this is a weird me thing not a eyelash extension thing, this wasn’t a one time allergy development).

I’m not super lashy and it always worked fine. You can also do a partial set first so you don’t have to go too heavy.

For any haters: eyelash extensions are like toupees, where you only notice the bad ones, not the good ones.

6 Likes

Mine are so sparse after years of seasonal allergies…I get them dyed occasionally and love that too. I don’t wear eye makeup often because my eyes are sensitive plus I wear glasses and it gets all smeary. Seems like a fun way to get a sort of “everyday glam” feeling

4 Likes

I have a client with bad ones and it’s all I can do not to stare at them.

3 Likes

Has anyone experimented with raccoon deterring products, and do they work? I want them out of my backyard, which they seem to think is their toilet.

2 Likes

Any owners of rag rugs out there? Maybe @oro? I am considering one like this for baby space. Wondering if it’s something I could easily wash at home (assuming it fits in our machine).

3 Likes

We tried using a spray and it didn’t work. Ended up having to trap and kill them because it’s illegal to relocate them where we live. Their poop can be quite toxic and they were also using our yard as a latrine.

1 Like