Random Questions

Not unless waterbed. Waterbeds suck for this and many other reasons. Some are “waveless,” which is an advertising lie.

Update on this: looks like the acidophilus and boric acid suppository mostly took care of this in a day! I’m continuing to take some acidophilus and I just want to make sure it gets fully balanced down there :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I share a bed with a small canine that I’m not always touching and yes I hear and/or feel her move through my sleepnumber mattress. On a memory foam mattress, no. When I sleep on a floor bed, no. But then she grumbles and bumps up against me all night so then yes. :grin:

7 Likes

I ordered a few things from a one-man shop on Etsy totaling about $200. The items are beautiful, but turns out they don’t work for the purpose that I bought them for, and they’d be pretty hard to repurpose for something else. Is it a jerk move to request a refund from a small-time maker on Etsy?

6 Likes

Is it the seller’s fault?

3 Likes

The dimensions were a little off from the listing, which made them unusable for me, but they could well work for someone else.

So I think I’ll just eat the cost and pass them on to someone else who could use them. Thank you!

4 Likes

If they arrived as described, then it is not fair to ask the seller. If the seller misrepresented the items, then it would be fair to request a refund.

4 Likes

I’m looking for an in person conference to attend in North America (preferably in the US) for customer experience, business development, operational excellence or finance. Any suggestions? I had one event thing reach out about Orlando, but it conflicts with a weekend vacation.

Work has given us permission for professional development attending these and I want to take advantage of it by the end of the year.

3 Likes

I read a book several years ago but I can’t remember the title to revisit it.

Near-future sci fi, the whole thing takes place on an Earth affected by global warming. I think the protagonist was a female cyborg who was an assassin/spy kind of like Black Widow. At one point she’s traveling discretely up a river in Canada and has a one person sail boat that when she’s done with it she puts some enzymes on it to dissolve it so minnows and whatnot in the water can eat it up so there’s no evidence a day later that she was ever there. There’s a dome city in I think Nevada. Part of it takes place in northern Africa. At one point she’s investigating a lead and she’s in a house that’s decorated with plants as furniture (like the carpet is actual moss and the couch is a bonsai kinda thing) and while she’s talking to them she’s also poking the house’s IT infrastructure and ends up hacking her way in via the automatic watering system for all those plants.

Does anyone know what book I’m talking about? I don’t remember the title but it was great.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t recognize the book, especially because it sounds like something I’d enjoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthatbook/ might be a good place to ask?

1 Like

Any hot takes (or we’ll researched opinion lol) on residential solar?

Have you gotten it? Is it actually a net positive for the environment? Would you do it at a break even monthly cost or would it have to be a net $ positive? Etc. Etc.

6 Likes

Thanks!

We’re going to get a couple more quotes but with inflation hitting the market it seems like ROI will be neutral at best. So then the question becomes: is it worth the hassle and potential for slightly negative ROI* to better the environment, and does it actually help the environment to have another tiny little bit of solar?

*My sister has solar and a part in the controller malfunctioned mid-July and they didn’t get it fixed until the end of Aug so she ended up paying for traditional municipal electricity the five weeks of the year that it’s 110 F where she lives. Plus still paying the solar loan costs.

5 Likes

He says yes, environmental wise it def does matter. And the more people who get on board the more resilient our power system. He says the concerns around grid overload are way overblown, and that’s being addressed quickly anyway.

So ultimately, only you can answer it! But yes it helps.

For us the capacity numbers just couldn’t justify the costs and materials for it, tyvm PNW life.

4 Likes

I’m want solar so I’m biased but:

If you do it right you get the benefit of shading your roof (so some passive cooling) as well as electricity

Depending on your state there are good rebates (and fingers crossed soon good federal rebates)

You can almost definitely have people from either your power company, your state, or your local solar installers come out for free and tell you if it makes sense for your particular roof

Solar installers livelihood is based on convincing people to install solar so they have a lot of different ways to fund it, including them basically renting your roof and giving you a discount on your electricity

6 Likes

And as a general PSA for new englanders, my parents have solar panels and now heat pumps through Revision Energy and they’re an employee owned company who has done an excellent job on their house three separate times, including this summer a solar array upgrade that took 3 times longer than expected. They only charged the quoted amount even though the labor costs were obviously 3x more than they expected.

8 Likes

Not too long ago, we installed a camera doorbell. Cars show up as patches of reflections, ours do. Last night, around 1 a.m., a set of reflections that werent there before or since showed up for an hour or two,

It was pitch black. I went outside and tried to see and realized a few things 1 Whoever it was wasn’t at the end of our driveway 2 I had the wrong flashlight to see well until I got right up to them and 3 I did NOT want to be close enough to see them.

I went back down the driveway, pulled something out of a car, as if that was why I was out there to start with, and went inside.

The refllections were gone in another hour or so. I didn’t sleep much. There’s a parking lot really close by, and in the summer it isnt lit, so if you just wanted a place off the road to sleep, that would have been better than a narrow residential piece of road.

Completely creeped me out.

Would you report it to the cops or tell your neighbors? Both?

3 Likes

What is your neighbourhood like? I have usually lived places where id assume it was a neighbour or their guest - is that possible? I wouldn’t report it, but maybe your area is different?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you would even report, you know? A car parked that you didn’t recognize is not a crime?

ETA: don’t want to minimize the creepy feeling, but I don’t really understand

4 Likes

Wait were they on your property? I’m confused what the possible crime could be. Or concern really even?

No crime, just a heads up…

Not on our property.

This is a very rural residential road. Acre lots. No street lights, no pulloffs or sidewalks.

DH said he thought it was the neighbor’s A-frame across the street, but the spacing doesnt work…

1 Like