Random Questions

Duct tape now comes in many pretty colors and designs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Skincare question. I’ve got what I think are irritated hair follicles? Red but not raised. Suggestions on what might help? My skin tends to run dry rather than oily. Trying to avoid spending the $ on a dermatology appointment if possible.

Pics

The worst spot is above my knee, but I’ve got some spots like this on my arms too. Further up my thigh it gets clearer, but there’s also less hair there.

I use an electric epilator for hair removal because body hair is triggering for my dysphoria. I switched to shaving weekly for a month or so and that didn’t seem to help.

1 Like

Does this look like what you have?

1 Like

Definitely looks like shaving irritation I get. For me it’s a question on a fresh razor and a strong emollient, and spacing out shaving by one additional day. I’m not sure how that works with an epilator though, but I imagine tissue irritation, dryness, and giving skin moisture and time is that same deal.

4 Likes

I’d cover everything in zinc based baby ointment for a couple of days to help it chill. Then you will need to figure out what tweaks to the routine to stop recurrence. Silicea injestable gel makes a nice body mask to draw out stuff and help things chill too. Super drying but super soothing. And if it needs to be part of your regular routine it doesn’t turn you white for days like the baby ointment does.

2 Likes

it’s one of the things that’s come up in my searches but I’m not sure. Sometimes there are bumps, but usually smooth

1 Like

Went to a party (outdoors) last night, and one person was smoking around the fire. Apparently I sat too close to her and now my hair smells like (cigarette) smoke. I’ve already shampooed it, but it still stinks. What can I do?

9 Likes

I’ve never not had shampoo work! I’m sorry.

Have your husband take you out for a drive while you hang your head out the window like a dog having the time of his life?

7 Likes

I like everything about this patio set except the bright white cushions. Do you think I could dye them? It says the covers are removable. But would the dye come off on people who have sat on them? It sounds like a giant pain and that buying a different patio set would be easier, but I just can’t find another I like as much. Except for the one that is $1600 more, which is just a ridiculous price. @Marcela, you have dyeing experience?

3 Likes

Nooooo dyeing will be a disaster on outdoor cushions!

Similar sets in cream?

https://smile.amazon.com/Christopher-Knight-Home-312764-Sectional/dp/B0875J884M/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=Christopher+Knight+Home+Highpoint+Outdoor+V-Shaped+Acacia+Wood+Sectional+Sofa+Set&qid=1652034750&sr=8-9

3 Likes

I’m just so picky! I don’t like the Theo because the backs are metal instead of wood. I’ll be able to see the back of the unit through the windows from inside the family room and I don’t want to see black metal.

I can’t see the back of the Jerome in the pictures but I think it’s wood. But, I just really prefer the v-shape of the first one. I don’t feel like paying more for something I like less. :frowning: And that v-shape is also what has kept me from pressing “buy” on that other one you showed me. It’s nice, and so much cheaper, but… now that I saw the v-shape, I’m stuck on it.

5 Likes

What about having someone local sew you new cushion covers in outdoor fabric? The shapes aren’t standard or I’d say just get new cushions!

4 Likes

I’d do a vinegar or baking soda water rinse.

3 Likes

I wonder if Daughter could and would do that for me? She’s better on the sewing machine than I am.

2 Likes

Paint? How to PAINT Patio Cushions - YouTube

2 Likes

If the paint fails you can ask daughter see!

2 Likes

I would be really careful trying to dye outdoor cushions. They are usually treated with stuff to make them less likely to stain plus dyeing polyester is a huge hassle. Paint is a possibility, but again you will be fighting that built-in resistance. Depending on how you would feel about the risk of ruining the appearance of the cushions, I would try painting first and then a backup of having new ones sewn. Or go straight to sewing new ones! Find some outdoor friend fabric you love and have at it!

Fantastic looking set btw.

6 Likes

Time took care of the smoke smell after the shampoo did not, but thanks all. I didn’t get the chance to hang head out a window

Edit so it would make sense after autocorrect

8 Likes

Wondering if you can contact the seller and see if they’d be willing to send you different colored cushions from another set? Might be possible!

3 Likes

I’m looking for a non-standard Rent vs. Buy calculator. Most seem to calculate the cost of your mortgage and just compare that to your rent. The scenario I’d like to look at it:

I pay cash, there is no mortgage (this is why I’m going to a LCOL area)
Factor in costs like HOA, homeowners insurance, property taxes, maintenance
Assumes I sell at the end of the term and include closing costs
Assumes a reasonable appreciation rate
Assumes I stay at least two years and don’t use it as a rental to avoid capital gains messiness.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
I could build a spreadsheet but I don’t wanna, I should be compiling comps on my own house.

Test case:
Rents of $1500 - $1800
vs buy something in the $220 - $250K range
Let’s assume $250 HOA per month
$1500 homeowners insurance (this is a swag - I’m not familiar with insurance prices for condos)
Maintenance ? I think outdoor maintenance is usually done via assessments so it feels like a wildcard to me. I’ll assume 1% of purchase price not knowing any better.
Assume 3 - 5% appreciation per year (I know it’s been crazier lately, let’s take the chance it corrects in the not too distant future). Assume rents increase at 10% per year, though I also wonder how long that craziness is going to to on.
All of these parameters should be adjustable and not built in.

Is there any way that buying make sense if I stay just over two years?

3 Likes