Random Questions

@meerkat I used dish soap!

If it is on the outside of the pot, maybe try a bleach solution! Don’t soak it or anything though (that will kill the plant).

1 Like

I’ll try that @CalBal ! You think 50/50 bleach/water? Or less bleach?

It probably doesn’t even need to be that high, maybe 10-20% If it came back again then you could try stronger? (I am not sure though, I am guessing!)

1 Like

Gotcha, thank you @CalBal !!!

Could it be efflorescence instead of mold?

1 Like

OH! I think that’s it!!!

oh, lol, in that case bleach will do nothing!

I never would have known, thanks @katscratch ! And @CalBal :slight_smile: you could only go off what I was saying! Lol.

If you wouldn’t have said “Terra cotta” specifically I wouldn’t have thought of it. It happens to me too, and in my basement sometimes.

@Elle I just went down a long rabbit hole of peer reviewed studies about microorganism growth in shea butter :joy: It seems that air exposure is more likely to cause the butter and oil to go rancid, and that otherwise storage method doesn’t really change how many critters will grow.

4 Likes

Bless the grad students studying this for me.

2 Likes

Does anyone have recommendations for books (/other resources) about how to have better conversations? Most of what I’m finding on search seems to be geared towards handling work/ relationship disputes, or making basic small talk. What I’m really looking for is something about either:

• how to start conversations that are interesting to both people involved, and move beyond the “so how was your weekend” type conversations.
  • how to productively have an agreement or a disagreement of opinion (I’m thinking more about the “we disagree about politics/ this particular thing that isn’t relevant to a decision that we need to act on” type conversations). This https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nonviolent-Communication-Language-Marshall-Rosenberg/dp/1892005034 might be a good fit for this disagreement part of this point, though I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has read it.
3 Likes

You might find some interesting things in NPRs TED Talks - they do excepts of TED Talks around a certain topic. I know that there was at least one on discussions around hot button issues (I don’t remember the speaker’s name).

Thanks, good shout! There’s a handy playlist that I just found which would be worth a watch :slight_smile: https://www.ted.com/playlists/211/the_art_of_meaningful_conversa

Genius searching!

I listen to the NPR Ted Talks and other NPR podcasts while going to sleep - so often just have a fuzzy memory of them.

1 Like

The first one that comes to mind is Crucial Conversations. Full disclosure, I’ve never read it, but it’s heavily recommended by lots of people and Internet personalities I respect. I think @Greyweld had read it and discussed it?

1 Like

I havent read that one yet

I took the course (at work), and I did think of this, but I think it is tangentially related. I think you could take some of the strategies, but you would be applying them to slightly different contexts. Crucial conversations is followed by Crucial Confrontations (which we hope to avoid).

They have a website and a email newsletter.

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t look like quite what I was thinking of, but there are also a bunch of used copies for really cheap, so it might be worth reading anyway! :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I think I’ll start with that list of TED talks, and “How to Speak, How to Listen” - I think there might be a copy of crucial conversations on the bookshelf at works I’ll wait to see if I can get it free before buying anything. Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like