Random Questions

I’d put in enough to get that $2K from your employer.

3 Likes

An HSA is a retirement account. You pay tax on withdrawals for non medical expenses after you got age 65, but no penalties. So it essentially is a 401k at that point, but you never have to pay the FICA tax. Plus anything you do pay toward medical bills is never taxed at all.

5 Likes

If you’re choosing between one or the other, I’d

1. contribute enough to each to get whatever match your employer offers,

2. calculate likely medical costs for the year to see what might be left if you don’t contribute more than the minimum and decide if you are happy with that amount for 2022, and

3. look at the expense ratios/fees for the funds offered in both and go for the one that charges the least amount for you to invest your money long-term.

3 Likes

Handy people, please help!

I have wooden chairs where the cross support piece on one side is coming loose. It’s loose enough that it shifts noticeably when I sit on it, making me afraid the chair is going to break, but not loose enough to take the chair apart and re-glue the pieces. It fits pretty tightly, so I don’t see how I could get glue in the hole without taking it apart. Is glue even the right tool here? How can I fix this?

This is the piece I’m talking about.

4 Likes

I also really want to see the new movie Wolfwalkers on Apple TV+. Getting “best of the year” reviews.

1 Like

Please help US taxes are confusing

2 Likes

My husband stabilizes these with rope, but attractive it is not, and I don’t let him use chairs so “repaired” outside of his man cave.

1 Like

Is it worth it to get a night guard directly from the dentist as opposed to the DIY impression kind on Amazon?

This was - unsurprisingly - recommended to me due to concerns of teeth grinding/clenching.

General prices quoted to me were roughly $460 to do it through my dentist vs. the $130 Amazon kind they thought were ok.

I’m inclined to pay the extra $300+ to make sure the fit is right, but it is a big difference for what might be basically the same product?

Anyone have experience with this or more knowledge about it?

1 Like

I think when this has been talked about here and there around the forums the majority of people had the same outcome with both spendy and cheap mouth guards.

I prefer the custom fit, though, because they will do the mold with my jaw relaxed so that I’m not biting down even harder against the guard in my sleep.

3 Likes

I would go spendy. Anecdotally, my spendy nightguard is over 15 years old and still going strong. My dental hygienist cleans it for me twice a year when I go for check-ups. It is so comfortable to sleep in and I want to keep my teeth…

4 Likes

Such a timely question! After my 10 year old soft mouth guard has deteriorated (actually should have replaced a few years ago), I just got my jsdental custom mouth guard which is a I think a cross between the two. I am sending the JSdental one back and they’re going to re-make it because I think I angled a bit while doing the impression. Basically, they sent me an impression kit, and I made the impression at home, sent it back, they sent me a guard and it isn’t quite right, so they’re going to do a free exchange and I’ll mark the places that are an issue and they’ll adjust or have me do a new impression until we get it right. So far customer service seems really responsive and helpful. I mainly wanted to avoid a trip to the dentist during COVID but will end up being about $110 vs $480 quoted by my dentist.

1 Like

I have a $30 amazon guard and I don’t use it that much, especially lately but there’s an adjustment period of a few weeks to stop waking up in the middle of the night from jaw pain. I also only grind my front teeth (wtf?) so while it holds my front teeth apart from each other my muscles don’t agree with that thus increasing the pain at the back of my mouth. It doesn’t necessarily affect my neck and jaw muscles more than going without the guard and just grinding, but it also isn’t helping anything besides my actual enamel.

1 Like

I am a big believer in my mouth guard from my dentist.

I got a $30 drugstore one and it was soft enough that it didn’t actually stop me from grinding my teeth, but instead gave me something with give to grind against and my teeth actually shifted a bit from it.

There probably is a middle ground with a mail order option, but I don’t regret at all getting the pricier one from my dentist.

2 Likes

I paid $300 for one from the dentist because the dentist told me that the one I got at the drugstore probably wasn’t as comfortable as the $300 one would be. Well, they readjusted, they ground down, they readjusted some more, they sent it back twice, and I was never even able to put the thing in without crying from the pain. No chance of biting down, just inserting caused excruciating pain no matter what they did. Meanwhile, I’m doing just fine with the cheapie two for 20 bucks from the drugstore once.

4 Likes

I still need a 2021 calendar.

Does anyone have any friends/acquaintances who make calendars with pictures of birds, flowers, gardens, naturey things generally? I’m trying to support more small businesses, and I don’t personally know anyone who does anything like this.

3 Likes

Is there a way to set up a checklist in google calendar, that I can mark things done and happens on the first of every month?

3 Likes

If I want to send a plain old envelope from the U.S. to the U.K. (no special tracking or anything, just super basic) is that called First Class or something else? Basically how many forever stamps do I need to put on it before I stick it in the mailbox?

2 Likes

You can get an international stamp for about $1. I am not sure how that would handle Forever stamps (since the value changes over time with changing domestic rates). You can also go online to calculate postage at USPS.

6 Likes

Forever stamps currently cost 55c, whereas standard First Class global postage (i.e. a global Forever stamp) is $1.20. So, you can use two Forever stamps + one 10c stamp, or you can plop on three Forever stamps and just overpay by 45c.

I just buy global Forever stamps myself – I’ve had one sheet for like five years, lol. It works. :wink:

5 Likes

You have international forever stamps? My international stamps are always out of date. (They are probably us stamps at this point)

3 Likes