Random Questions

It must be yours that I was thinking about.

1 Like

I’m game for changing the title and opening it up for everyone to use! Or I could start a new one for folks?

2 Likes

I’d be interested in a collective book journal!

2 Likes

Whatever you prefer. A lot of us here seem to be big readers, and I am always looking for new books to read.

1 Like

Alright, I’m on it!

1 Like

Done!

8 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Since we’re supposedly getting an ice storm later this week - possibly 2 of them? - I googled “generator for apartment” since you can’t have a gas generator indoors, obvs. Not really expecting such a thing to exist, but they do, apparently.

https://generatoradvisor.com/indoor/

Does any apartment dweller here have one? If so, which brand? Can you run a router off of it?
We haven’t had a power outage of more than a couple hours, in years. So on one hand this seems like an expensive unnecessary purchase, but we both WFH now, so maybe it is worthwhile?
And if we end up moving to hurricane country, I feel like it might be a good idea?

1 Like

So they’re not whole apartment generators, but Jackery has different power options available for plugging in appliances, etc. I have the 160 (I think) and when we lost power we plugged our router in and were able to continue working seamlessly. They are expensive but they’re well-rated and ours has already been worth the money.

2 Likes

I want to make a shared digital file that’s a bit more secure than Google docs (i.e., I am finally working on my “hit by a bus folder”). Is there a good free option for something like this? Or if not something very, very cheap? Should I just send my partner all my passwords over Signal? :sweat_smile: (j/k)

2 Likes

Maybe a little convoluted, but you might be able to save everything in a zip, encrypt it w/ a password partner knows, and schedule it to be sent at a particular time each month and reschedule the send date every month you aren’t… y’know… dead?

Seems like there should be a much better way of doing it though.

3 Likes

That’s cheaper than many I found on Amazon.
Of course, Boyfriend thinks I am insane for contemplating this. Hmph. Maybe if/when the stimulus arrives I will snag one and then I won’t let him use the microwave off of it. :wink:

I feel like as long as I can run the wifi and make coffee and heat food, we could manage. Plus side to being in the frozen abyss - we could just put all our food outside if an outage lasts a long time and the fridge/freezer start to thaw out.

1 Like

My boyfriend thought I was overreacting, and then literally one week after the Jackery arrived, our power went out for 4 hours :sweat_smile: He was very glad to have it then, as the power outage happened right during a meeting, of course.

I’m not sure the smallest one would be able to handle a full-size microwave (haven’t checked the specs), but any of the others probably could easily.

2 Likes

Do you use a password manager? Mr krmit and I each have a password manager and keep talking about somehow creating a shared one to use in an emergency…we haven’t yet, of course.

My current strategy is I put my laptop and password manager login info into a sealed envelope that lives with our general household paperwork. But if that envelope ever gets lost, we’re SOL.

5 Likes

I have a literal hardcopy folder in a safe deposit box and another copy of same in my desk. Vanguard has a template for a “hit by a bus” file, so I used that to get it started.

5 Likes

My house feels a little dry since we’ve been running the heat more to stabilize temps for the baby. Nest says indoor humidity is 48%.

Can I put trays of water out to evaporate? Or will I just get pet mosquitos?

Apropos of nothing, I really miss radiators!

1 Like

Change the water every day (or even two) and you won’t get mosquitoes. Alternately, take longer showers.

2 Likes

Do you have a crock pot? They make excellent easy simmer pots. Toss in a cinnamon stick and your house will smell great to boot.

Eta run it with lid off, so it evaporates.

5 Likes

Has anyone watched the show Broadchurch? Im on season two and looking for CW info without spoilers.

Question below

Does anything bad happen to Lizzie? I’m just getting weird vibes and it’s stressing me out.

3 Likes

I watched it ages ago, so I don’t remember the plot lines. But since I’ve seen it and therefore don’t care about spoilers, I looked up episode recaps. I think you are ok.

Partial answer

She definitely doesn’t die, but I can’t tell if anything else happens to her. I don’t think so.

2 Likes