Random questions, postpartum edition

How old is Ravi now?

My first needed to go down to 1 nap at about 11 months and it was a huge game changer, but I think he was very much on the early end (low sleep needs kid).

Naptimes were one of the criteria we had for picking daycare. I think 1:30 is very late for a newly 1 year old or close. Our daycare did naps at ~11:30-12 at that age.

5 Likes

I also think that 2nd nap is way too late, especially when it’s the only one. It is all so dependent upon the kid though and their overall schedule. Both of my kids went down to one nap between 12-18 months old, but that one nap is 12:30-2:30. They are both (at 4 and almost 3) just barely functional still by 12:30 and definitely need their nap no later than that. We also wake them up at 3 if still asleep and have never let them sleep past 3 because that means not going down easily at bedtime (7/7:30). Then wake up time is 6:30.

2 Likes

Ravioli is 14 months

2 Likes

dang i forgot about that one

1 Like

Hmmm if he is ready for one nap it needs to be earlier. And he might need a second mini nap some days

4 Likes

Not sure what your holiday schedule is with the nanny share, but if you have a break coming up, I would not push the nap issue right now, get Ravi solidly on the 1 nap schedule on break and hopefully fix the 3 am wake up issue, and then present nanny with the new 1 nap schedule when you return.

I’ve found with other caregivers (even my parents!) it’s hard to be wishy-washy on the schedule because, for example, what does gradual shift mean?

6 Likes

It does seem like it’s time to go down to 1 nap, and that’s really awkward at first because 2 is too many and 1 is not enough for a while. But for a while it also needs to be earlier.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think if anything he just needs two shorter naps that are capped in length.

3 Likes

We do already cap the first nap and the second he’s sort of…self-capping lol

2 Likes

Yes. Totally, also having an issue where level of clarity needed is not agreed upon even though I thought it was ugh

3 Likes

Yeah so after this, more questions go in the other parenting thread Elle mentioned

Meanwhile

Dropping the morning nap would have been a MAJOR issue for either of my kids. When they went to 1 nap, BOTH of them kept the morning nap and dropped the afternoon one. Definitely agree with this:

3 Likes

I cannot find this for the life of me and search is failing. Help!!

3 Likes

Also Bracken bat signalled you :grin:

3 Likes

Pumping has been tough for me lately. I barely get anything from my morning pump, even if I do a power pumping session. He is eating down 1-3 bags from the freezer per week right now compared to what I pump. I am not sure if we should start introducing formula or just keep adding in solids. I have had a few weeks where we exclusively nurse (last week) and he seems to get enough food from me, I think this may be a pumping problem. Maybe this is just the normal way of weaning, he is eating a lot more solids now. He is almost 10 months old for reference.

If anyone has weaning stories and how you managed the mental switch that would be really helpful for me! I don’t know what is normal for my supply going down as he gets more calories from solid food versus what is a problem with my supply.

Pumping Details

Right now I am pumping every 3ish hours during the work day (used to be 2.5). I use a hakka when I do the evening feeds and he is too sleepy to do both sides (dream feed mostly). I try and do a power pump during the work day 2-4 times per week, especially when I got a really low output.

I also seem to have really low supply midmorning even though the internet says that should be a time when I have more milk.

I have loved nursing but the mental gymnastics of pumping and trying to have enough has been really hard.

7 Likes

Do you have much of a stash in the freezer? Around 10 months with both my kids I started winding down pumping and had enough in the freezer to get both to a year old in daycare. I kept nursing both when we were together until oldest was 27 months and youngest was a couple weeks shy of 2.

Its also 10000000000% ok to give formula until they are a year old too! No matter what you do they will be ok and will probably eat Cheerios from the folds of their car seat.

3 Likes

I would probably add formula as you get close to the end of the freezer (to give him time to get used to the taste). My kid wouldn’t touch my pumped milk so he went on solid, soy milk (dairy allergy) and did eating at night until 15mo.

2 Likes

I think our plan is this: keep doing what we are doing. Once we are down to 6 bags in the freezer and he is under 1yr old we will add in formula (probably like 2 weeks to ease him in). We have ~23 bags in the freezer now.

I think having a plan will help ease my mind so there are less decisions to make. I’ll reevaluate this plan if I still feel stressed about it in a couple weeks.

9 Likes

How do you know when to stop modifying activity for DR?

2 Likes

I would ask the person who diagnosed you with DR. I’ve heard anywhere from 6 weeks to a year suggested, though of course if it is a year, you’d have more regular check ins.

Well, she had said wait til I see the PTs, but that got rescheduled for April because of the ice storm :melting_face:

3 Likes