Random Questions, Parenting Edition

It is all going on a list!

The granola bars worked a bit! Half an unhealthy one that his dad bought.

2 Likes

Seconding pouches!

Does he like smoothies? Pipsqueak has been loving smoothies with banana, peanut butter, and almond milk lately.

1 Like

What kinds of plates are you using for your older toddlers?

We have a set of plastic IKEA plates but they aren’t in great shape and need to be replaced. I’d kind of like to avoid plastic but am not 100% opposed to it… maybe we just need a more sturdy brand.

I don’t like silicone products because we need to be able to use the dishwasher and it leaves a soap smell/taste.

Instagram would like me to believe that stainless steel plates are the healthiest (not breakable) option but there aren’t that many brands and they are super expensive.

Thinking about getting some correlle since they’re impact resistant…but when they break they REALLY shatter.

3 Likes

These are what we use and I love them. I don’t know if this “wheat straw” stuff is just as bad as plastic or not, but we do really like them a lot. Amazon.com

2 Likes

I just saw some metal plates IRL somewhere or other this week! And thought that I would buy those if I had toddlers.

Is this a child young enough to toss plates? I might just get some more plastic kid plates at the thrift store. At 4 or 5, I think corelle is fine.

2 Likes

Oo if you remember where it was, please let me know!

Kiddo is about to turn 3 and so far she’s tended towards being a contentious, rule-following kid so we don’t have issues with throwing plates or food but that could always change…

2 Likes

We mainly use real plates. Corelle and some stoneware. For babies I did stainless but I bought them in little India where they are better prices than the ones marketed to parents.

Sometimes in cities without better options they have them at regular Indian supermarkets or the weird end aisle at walmart with non white people kitchen stuff.

2 Likes

Yep. Our youngest is 4.5, but I’ve been using Corelle for her for a little while now. Both kids do still like their old plastic plates, because they’re fun and each kid has plates that are “theirs”. I’m not replacing the plates as they wear out, though. You can buy different Corelle patterns at Walmart and Target, if you want fun or unique designs.

We’re still on plastic cups, but most of them are ones we’ve brought home from restaurants so they didn’t get tossed. I should probably move on to glass, but I don’t trust our youngest. She regularly spills drinks (like, 2-3 a week), and I’m not down for cleaning up that much glass.

4 Likes

Corelle. I was getting odors accumulating on plastic and silicone, so I kicked all of it out and went with breakable-but-not-very.

They have divided plates that are mostly what she uses, plus small bowls. And I put my dessert sized plates in her cupboard too, leaving the lunch and dinner sized plates and the bigger (aka regular) bowls in my cupboard.

Never found a truly satisfactory drink ware option, so she has some small plastic IKEA cups (that I hand wash if used) or stainless steel water bottles for drinks.

I think we’ve had them over a year now and no shatters yet, even with some drops. If she threw it on purpose it might be different, but she got over that stage right as she got strong enough to do real damage, a helpful tradeoff of skills.

3 Likes

There is one of these nearby that I’ve been meaning to go to for YEARS but I always forget because it’s slightly outside of my normal routes. This might be the push I need!

1 Like

FYI Corelle is having a 50% mix and match sale. I can’t figure out how long it’s going to last but I am going to pick up some salad plates and condiment bowls to add to Pipsqueak’s birthday gifts next month.

:crossed_fingers:This isn’t the start of her plate throwing phase :rofl:

7 Likes

You made me all nostalgic for the plates my kids used for years. They were cute! We had four in rotation, each with a different cute scene, dogs, foxes, woodland creatures, cats. I can’t remember where I bought them. They were that really hard plastic (melamine?) and divided into three sections. Who knew I’d have feelings about plates but I totally miss them.

4 Likes

We use a combo of real plates or little wooden bowls that are approximately this size and shape: Acacia Wooden Bowls Set of 4 Hand Carved - Etsy

Ours has a similar disposition and doesn’t mess with plates or glasses on purpose (so far, at least). I think she’d do well with regular plates!

1 Like

We had the kids’ plates to pass on to the little boy. I’ve been interested to see that a lot of the current cute kids plates have a sort of decal or plastic layer with the design on it, which fails after a while going through the dishwasher.

1 Like

I used to have stoneware mostly but LB kept smashing it when he emptied the dishwasher, or a boy would toss a plate careless into the sink and it would shatter. We have had 0 breakage of the Corelle. I think we’ve had it for three or four years? Boys are now 11 and 12 so still pretty rough on dishes.

4 Likes

Also our dishes are fine but RIP our glasses. 5 to parental oops and one kid oops in the past 6 months

3 Likes

OMG the cat broke so many glasses! “My” glasses seem to stay on the counter but all of the Boy’s pint glasses have been smashed by someone or other.

Funny story: When the Boy and I first started dating he owned only 1 glass (also only 1 bath towel- I brought him an extra for my own use!) so he had to go out and buy a whole of them in order to be able to offer me a beverage.

5 Likes

I’ve given our 4 year old exactly one tiny mason jar as a cup, and it is no longer with us. Plastic kids cups for a long time.

3 Likes

The Tupperware plastic kids cups that I bought at the thrift store in the 1980s are still in use, and look brand new.

2 Likes

We use ikea kids plastic plates. Tried some plant based ones, that claimed dishwasher & microwave safe, those have almost all died. Maybe 1 plate and 1 cup remain from a 5pk of cups/ bowls/ plates. We have the variety of child who will accidentally drop things and would deliberately tip at one point. I have focused on camping gear and just got them enamel cups (because they want cups with handles) and will likely look there for plates & bowls. But we also dont have any issues with our dishwasher leaving smells etc on our silicone or plastics so I use silicone too.

3 Likes