PSA: Recalls!

Not sure about others, but I always get recall notifications from social media. And sometimes (carrots, onions…) it seems like things OMD needs to know!

Edit: bonus points for actually finding recall products in your stash.

• 1 for mislabeled allergens that don’t affect you,
  • 5 for food illness items,
  • 10 for foreign objects or allergens that do affect you.
  • 20 for finding shrimp tails in your cinnamon toast crunch for real and reporting it (or similar issue).
  • Remember: the rules are made up and the points don’t matter. Keep track of your own.
10 Likes

This week it’s salami/charcuterie. :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Good idea for a thread! Following. I get kid specific ones from a mailing list too, so I’ll add those. And any SirB runs across professionally.

2 Likes

man…cured meat (or tube meat as I affectionately call it :joy:) is like…a dietary staple for me. Oh well it probably wouldn’t hurt me to stop eating it for a while, not exactly the pinnacle of health foods

2 Likes

You can cook it! But yeah, switching to chicken, regular deli cuts, etc until they find exact culprits might be prudent…

2 Likes

At least it’s salmonella and not listeria. :grimacing:

1 Like

For some reason I always thought salmonella was worse? Sounds like I’m wrong?

1 Like

My recollection from my food sciences course in college (caveat, it’s been a decade plus) is that salmonella is more likely to cause moderate illness (diarrhea etc), but listeria causes more severe illness and most notably can cause fetal demise in pregnant women. So like… numbers game in a way, diarrhea is unpleasant but most people can fight that off well and supportive care is more straight forward, whereas listeria is more likely to be a death sentence.

Happy to be corrected, as I said, it’s been a while. Either way, vulnerable populations need to be particularly cautious during any food recall.

ETA oh and I think salmonella is gram negative while listeria is gram positive? A lot fewer treatment options for gram positive (envelope forming) bacteria right? Lordy I need a microbio refresher, I’ve WORKED in food QA and I can’t remember this :woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

Oh no. :frowning_face:

But also I learned something today.

2 Likes

Are there email lists or places we should follow? Normally I just see things in my Google News thread.

1 Like

Some stores will notify you if you have a loyalty number and make purchases with it. Fred Meyer (Kroger family) let me know about an onion recall on a receipt that way. Otherwise I’m on the parents.com recall email list, this link MIGHT work?

http://l.emails.parents.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=14896081&tp=i-1NGB-9U-2npD-19MXzL3-Hv-85zeS-1c-19MXuSm-l6Skt3GhJv-1JpuYm&x=8859c10beeef0a038d7b6ec1aa24f76cac3037bf|668187|20210824|082421|668187|65378611077

And just check recall alerts

1 Like

Dorel’s Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 convertible car seat.

1 Like

Hear ye, hear ye! Check your PB!

2 Likes

Another PB recall! This time for salmonella.

3 Likes

Damnit! I already ate out of them!

2 Likes

I think you get a refund either way, for a recall!

You might also be lucky but do you want to take the chance?

1 Like

haha same. Nooooo

Super broad strawberry recall.

ETA-
Oh didn’t realize:
“purchased between March 5, 2022, and April 25, 2022”

So unless you froze any, they’d be gone or rotten by now.

2 Likes