Pregnancy is weird

I actually put a little box under my desk and used it to keep my legs elevated during the day when I was pregnant with B! Although because of my blood pressure issue I was on modified bedrest and everyone knew, so my coworkers would actually yell at me if they saw me walking around :rofl: No one cared that I had my feet up under my desk, even though it was an open office! I just had to be careful about what I wore - pants only!

3 Likes

I am too short for this lol. There’s no room under the desk! Oh well. I will be WFH til next Wednesday so I can elevate all I want after today!

7 Likes

Found a picture of you WFH :rofl:

6 Likes

LMAOOOOO

3 Likes

FWIW The MFM doc told me that foot and ankle swelling, especially if it is the same on both sides, is usually not cause for concern. They said to look more at, like my face. That should not be swollen.

7 Likes

By 30 weeks in August bilateral swollen feet and ankles is super common and normal. But because it was a faster onset for you, you still need to get it checked out before trying all the best tricks to manage it (swimming, compression stockings, giving up because until the baby is born you may be like this except when swimming or getting a massage or wearing compression stockings).

10 Likes

Yeah definitely one of those “rule out bad things, just in case” but then once ruled out, accept as normal and proceed to try to mitigate. Definitely no guarantee of badness.

8 Likes

Midwife got back to me with a nice list of other warning signs to look for and said she is not concerned. I see them on Monday anyway so I’ll have them check stuff out then. Already planned to go swimming on Saturday, I hope that does help!! And tonight/tomorrow I’ll elevate!

9 Likes

:crazy_face: time to get some stretchy sketchers!

3 Likes
Pregnancy test

This is a positive, right?

I’ve been kinda feeling like I’m pregnant but no really scientific basis.

No congratulations please - it’s very very early. Based on my (inconsistent) temping I think I’m 9 DPO

7 Likes
Summary

I think it is!

4 Likes
Summary

Yes. As a non-professional squinter, I think this counts as a resolute positive.

4 Likes
Summary

Definite two lines

1 Like

Looks like this is happening! Messaged my OB/gyn for an intake appointment.

Already a little nauseous - but am only 4 weeks along :grimacing::grimacing:. Last time I didn’t get any symptoms until Week 7.

Tests

15 Likes

I want to cross post here with my journal and see if anyone has thoughts on the screening tests.

In baby news we had a Dr appt today for the 12 week ultrasound and testing. The baby was too small to do the test (needs to be 45mm and ours was only 41). So we basically got a free bonus ultrasound. We got to see a little hand and hear the heart beat, wow it’s so fast (170bpm)!! I have a couple of weeks now to decide if we want to do the more advanced screening for DS and other defects. Part of me wants to know and the other part of me is worried about a false positive causing more stress than it’s worth. Any thoughts/experiences/opinions are welcome!

3 Likes

Do you mean the NIPT/cell-free DNA testing?

Two resources on numbers (this is the way my brain works but YMMV) - Expecting Better chapter on this topic with some statistics on Down Syndrome. NYTimes article about some downsides with the rarer conditions

Summary

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/01/01/upshot/pregnancy-birth-genetic-testing.amp.html

Prenatal Test False Positives - by Emily Oster - ParentData

Summary

Me, I didn’t do it for my last pregnancy mostly because it wasn’t offered to me nor covered by insurance. This time I will do it because my risk is higher (I’m 36) and I’d like to know so that I can make decisions and prepare.

Also - I promise I’m not being paid to shill for Emily Oster :joy::joy:. I just really like the way she presents information even when I disagree with her particular choice.

4 Likes

Second this recommendation. Lots of good info about all the tests.

1 Like

I’m only 5 weeks along but I swear I feel my uterus growing/moving around. Also, my ovaries twinge every once in a while when I move suddenly. What is going on?

I also cooked and ate about a lb of artichoke hearts with lemon this weekend - I have never cooked or really eaten much artichoke in the past but suddenly I wanted it.

6 Likes

It IS your uterus growing and shifting, and ligaments stretching. The uterus gets heavier as it grows and the suspensory ligaments are under stress for the first time really. You’ll also sometimes feel like a bolt of lightening if you stand or squat quickly at this phase, that’s common. Look up round ligament pain.

5 Likes

This early??? I had a relatively easy pregnancy last time around once the morning sickness subsided, and never really had round ligament pain (but yes I googled the symptoms and they match what’s currently going on).

My toddler also repeatedly elbowed me in the pelvic area this weekend :sob::sob:

5 Likes