Pregnancy is weird

It is new bra day! Fortuitous! Go forth and online order in vague hopes of fitting

5 Likes

How did you know? I have a 3 pack coming in the mail supposedly tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Any advice for end of first trimester/hopefully early second trimester dressing? I am fine looking like a goblin in sweatpants at my house most of the time, but I’d like to have the option to look cute a few times a week.

Weight/size stuff (all relative, no specific weights/sizes)

Summary

I’ve gained 5ish lbs and it’s pretty evenly distributed (congrats to my butt), although I’m permanently bloated. I’m not sure if I should lean into pretending it’s a bump and feature it more prominently? I’ve been wearing loose clothes to disguise it, and saw some recent pictures of myself and realized that strategy isn’t working.

I feel a little self indulgent buying maternity clothes this early, so I’m not sure if I should buy pants in a bigger size or lean into maternity jeans. I don’t love wearing casual dresses, so I won’t go that route unless I have no other options.

7 Likes

I found maternity clothes a lot more flattering even with barely a bump. They would be more flattering now, but dishonest!

They are also designed so that any you get now should fit until almost the end if not the whole way

5 Likes

If you have a bump and it is primarily or secondarily caused by baby you have a bump! At least if you are ready to have a bump. Just have seen a lot of shaming lately online over people who are even partway through 2nd tri saying they have a bump and I’m over it.

Your body is shaped differently because of baby. You can call it a baby bump even if it’s not volumetrically all baby.

6 Likes

I support wearing maternity clothing from 0 weeks pregnant. It will also sit and land differently on your body, and may reduce lingering nausea. I preferred elastic waist under bump pants, but I know some prefer the over-bump variety. Agreed it should last you a LOT of the pregnancy, generally I found goblindom came back a few weeks before birth and there was nothing to be done anyway. I cant recommend a brand because we have different ones available here.

6 Likes

You’re going to need maternity clothing eventually so I’m a fan of going right into it - this forum convinced me back in 2020. I love Storq’s overalls ($$$) and Uniqlo’s maternity leggings ($). Neither are super “bump” prominent so you can feature/diminish as you wish.

For me, under-the-belly stuff didn’t last as long as over. I bought some expensive Hatch jeans that were cute for like 2 months but unwearable now :(. At least they hold resale value super well, so I’ll probably wear them a bit postpartum and then sell.

I mostly got away with wearing my normal tops, especially since leaning into boxy cuts a few years ago. I also picked up some tops in a larger/much larger size that I’ll still like postpartum, so it feels less wasteful. ETA my bust has increased 6 inches this pregnancy, so only these Neiwai “one size” bras still fit and I bought a couple new sports bras 2-3 sizes up.

This is TMI, but if anyone needs leakproof undies, SAALT ones have no pfas, are less bulky than Thinx, and the bamboo/tencel fabric option is so soft. I’m at 35 weeks now and buying 2-3 sizes up fits well.

My local BN is excellent for maternity clothes, perhaps yours is too?

5 Likes

You all are blowing my mind, I didn’t realize maternity clothes were designed to keep fitting over time. I’d assumed anything that fit now wouldn’t fit in a few months, Ty Ty

6 Likes

Ok I am so sad about BN: my group kind of imploded a few months ago, so I left, but had my wife join to keep an eye on it lol. It seems like they’re still standing so I might rejoin. I will keep you all posted.

6 Likes

Ugh I got nervous about baby moving and I feel silly because of how early I am in relation to “you should be able to feel consistent movement” point but I’m going in for a Doppler this afternoon just to reassure me.

3 Likes

They are some kind of magic. I am still wearing my maternity jeans, and theyre a bit baggy but so comfy, and I am only slightly larger than I was before my latest pregnancy.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I wore my maternity pants while not pregnant, especially when bloated.

3 Likes

Wrap dresses, jumpsuits, big flowy shorts and pants from the thrift store all got me thru the second tri. You deserve clothing that fits you!!

3 Likes

I will pile in the support of wear maternity clothes now. With my second I think I started wearing maternity clothes at like 6 weeks just to stave off nausea. 100/10 recommended jumping into maternity clothes way before you “think” you need them.

3 Likes

Weight mentions:

Summary

I gained fully 60lbs by delivery last time, a

nd only the last month to month and a half did I not fit most of my maternity stuff anymore. It’s AMAZINGLY accommodating.

4 Likes

Also I firmly agree that any body changes because of a body are maternity body changes. Bump versus bloat quibble wasn’t a thing when I was pregnant with my first? And I see it everywhere now. Who cares?! Do you pants fit or not lol, that’s what I care about. I don’t care if I’m consto or it’s a fetus, as someone said, volumetrically.

6 Likes

Oh god yes, what fresh hellscape nonsense is this?! Its a body! Your body! It needs more room, give it the room!
Your body is bloating (a normal body function) so it should be punished with uncomfortable clothing? Fuck that shit.

weight loss and HG: TLDR buy the mat clothes

I LOST weight, like, I weigh 50kg//110lbs and I was down to 44kg//97lbs and I still needed to swap to maternity clothes. If I can lose weight and need mat clothes, i fail to see how it matters what the cause is for a normal healthy pregnancy with no complications.

5 Likes

Clothing suggestion! I used Nuuly to rent clothes for a few months. It was $80 per month for 6 items. The pregnancy bike shorts were a game changer.

4 Likes

Maternity clothes! Kindred bravely is having a 60% off sale right now. They’re amazing. I love their simply sublime bras.

2 Likes

Also how early is too early to hit up the Costco Huggies sale :joy: starts April 12. They’re usually every 3-4 months so I’m probably fine to wait… the economy insanity makes me worried they’ll get even pricier and worse sales by the next round though!

5 Likes