Policy/Cultural Expectation for NSFW/SFW content?

Yo!
Just wondering what our community policy/cultural expectation is on SFW/NSFW (safe for work / not safe for work) visual content is?
I’ve seen some stuff that is not, like, technically explicit but is also something that if I worked in an office and had OMD up on a different window, I would not be comfortable being seen by co-workers or bosses.
But I don’t work in an office. So I defer to others, but would love to get a read on what our flavor of expectation is. :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

14 Likes

If we spoiler for food, mentions of body stuff, etc. I think we should spoiler for things that would raise an eyebrow from a casual passer-by. This is my personal opinion.

10 Likes

Do you mean forum wide or in the more general threads? I could see someone just giving a blanket warning that their journal might have some NSFW stuff and you could avoid it, but in the more casual open threads it could be a big problem.

4 Likes

I don’t work in an office but often screen share. Please save me from myself and spoiler things that have images of sexy things for when I forget.

12 Likes

Good clarifying question. My gut says general threads, and journals are their usual do-what-thow-wilst (within reason).

7 Likes

As (I think?) one of the few people working on site in an open office, I only read OMD on my phone and we talk about too much anti capitalist stuff for me to ever log in on my work laptop. So for actual work appropriateness I don’t really think it’s necessary. BUT if we’re using “NSFW” to spoiler graphic things and people would, in general in their lives, enjoy spoilers for that stuff because of personal preference/presence of kids or family members then I think it’s a good idea.

5 Likes

That makes sense to me. Will implement in my own posting. Good call to point out something we might not being thinking of!

2 Likes

I also don’t mean to be like, the arbitrator! Just wanted to point out that not everyone is in positions to have boobies on their screen. :slight_smile: Espec. in context of this being a financial forum LOL.

7 Likes

That @marcela always posting possum sex

16 Likes

Yeah, I have a kid and family. Text stuff is usually cool but if we can spoiler nsfw/uncomfortable with your kid or grandma images I’d love it. Maybe use the tag nsfw if you’re posting images in your journal? I have some posters muted bc their images don’t always suit how things are in my life

9 Likes

This is where I’m at. The typed stuff doesn’t bother me, but some of the more explicit visuals are kind of a no go for me without warning. I often scroll this forum at parks where I’m hanging out with my kid, I don’t want to raise any eyebrows among other parents.

8 Likes

The rule in hospitality is generally (aside from niche places) “8 and 80”, meaning nothing in the space should be unpalatable to a person who is 8 years old or a person who is 80 years old. Maybe helpful as a guideline?

9 Likes

I spoilered it!

Edited to add: ANNDDD the starter image wasn’t NSFW. So only a problem if you clicked on the video which was clearly labeled as containing possum sex. At which point, you have made your own choices.

15 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
That is all anyone can ask.
Purpose is not to judge, only prevent unsuspecting :eyes::eyes:

10 Likes

We all learn from our mistakes.

11 Likes