"Pig Butchering" Scams; Beware

Be careful next time you get an unsolicited text or message from anyone you don’t know. The linked article is about “pig butchering” scams, which could cost you a LOT of money if you’re not careful.

7 Likes

It reminds me of advice I used to hear about never accepting a friend request on Facebook from someone you don’t know. The internet gives enough anonymity that the person on the other end of the exchange really can be anyone.

I’m pretty sure I was targeted by one of these once. I actually did respond tersely with a “Do I know you” or something similar. After they explained who they were it was clear that I didn’t know them and they didn’t know me. I stopped responding at that point, and so did they.

The best strategy is probably to ignore them completely.

3 Likes

Wow, I’ve gotten a few of those “hi” texts. I always ignore them. Good thing!

7 Likes

I get them all the time too. I always delete them right away. I also heard that there are a lot of human trafficking rings that pull you in that way too, with a random “Hi” text.

6 Likes

I meet enough weirdos on OMD who I’m pretty sure aren’t trying to scam me so no need for more from text messages. Unless this whole place is one elaborate long con?

8 Likes

One day you’re going to realize I talked you into mailing @ladyduck a care package and didn’t transfer you $7 and I will cackle my best rich life

9 Likes

I have an amazing investment opportunity for you! A bridge in Canada that I will sell you for a very reduced rate!

6 Likes

I ain’t mailing anyone shit. I hate the post office. Wait - is this something I already did?

3 Likes

The only property you have to sell me are slums inhabited by squatters.

2 Likes

Are you interested?

5 Likes

I worry it’s not the diversification I need in my portfolio right now? Being so far away, it would be hard to manage. I also have no knowledge of cold places. From your journal, 90% of owning an investment property seems to be boiler related?

2 Likes

That’s why I suggested a bridge. They don’t have boilers.

3 Likes

Is it a toll bridge at least?

4 Likes

We only have troll bridges available

7 Likes

I have been getting a message or two a week from random people on various messaging apps :unamused:

I dont remember receiving anything but it is also way, way past my bedtime and we are full of snot in this house. I support troll bridges.

3 Likes

But you live in Canada, and you’re a real estate mogul. This might be legit… :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes. So send me all your money.

4 Likes

first you make a course…

1 Like