Open Enrollment Questions

A: 1332+2*7000=15332 or less, assuming plan doesnt get worse
C: (150+150)*12+2000+3168+?? (Tax credit)=8768+??

I would also lean toward C. The extra 6k+ that A would cost you is not going to change the laws/rules around health insurance and taxes.

I tend toward the practical, so unless you think SSO would screw you over or something, which I do not believe, it’s not worth paying more if your choice won’t create change.

Bonus: if you do go to the UK, option C costs go down proportionally (correct?). Whereas you still pay at least one OOP max with A…

2 Likes

I like Option C IF Aaron plans to be at his job for all of 2021. The reason? Max $ out is lower.

I think there’s no extra costs after the $2000 since that is inclusive of the $150 - which may or may not actually be covered by co-pay assistance, meaning it’s possibly as low as (150*12)+ 3168= $4,968

Perhaps, we are not 100% if we can dis-enroll me for moving since it wouldn’t be a change in life status for SSO, but we think so.

Corporate overlords willing, that is the plan. I am less interested in staying at my job all of next year.

Anyone know if there’s a way to add an attachment to a post? I just spent 10 minutes or so scrubbing my spreadsheet that calculates max cost, min cost, and typical situation for three different healthcare options you enter.

2 Likes

Google drive or similar file upload?

If you don’t go to England are you going to stay at your company full time for another year? I’m asking because you’re calculating max OOP based on calendar year but wouldn’t it mean that in January 2022 you’d have already hit the OOP max for your plan year? You’re paying it 6 months earlier but it’s the same expense.

Alternately, if you don’t go to the UK will you quit/go part time/otherwise need to change insurance couldn’t you go on SSOs insurance at that point?

Sorry to add options. This is very stupid.

I would love to see this and use this even though I’ve already done my enrollment.

1 Like

Can’t see how to attach. Checking on converting to Google. That would save me emailing to a bunch of colleagues every year.

1 Like

Ohh derp. Forgot that copays generally count toward oop since they don’t count toward deductible (maybe sometimes…?).

2 Likes

It ate all my formulas. Why, Google?

Did you import it? Maybe just adding it to drive as a .xlsx file would preserve it? (Download and open to check…)

1 Like

It appears that sharing a link reveals my name anyway (it’s my Google ID as I got my gmail address back when it was by invitation. Don’t wanna do that.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m protective of my google account, too…I’m not sure but I think dropbox is more anonymous if you just share a link…

1 Like

Do a different file upload service. Like Dropbox. That should let you share it in xlsx format

The issue with Excel versus Google Sheets is that (unless something has changed) they use different languages for formulas.

Probably not but no guarantees. Right now, not wild about that.

Correct, I will hit my OOP max for the plan year, but I will have a new one if I stay through August 2022.

I

It isn’t QUITE the same expense because in January, I get a fresh batch of co-pay assistance that I couldn’t used to pay that OOP max. But because of my dumb overlap, I can’t use it on the 2021-2022 plan year.

I could go on SSO’s insurance at that point, or get medicaid if my income is low enough. I still will have exhausted my co-pay assistance for the calendar year, though, most likely. So I will still be paying $2,900 out of pocket for the rest of year.

1 Like

Send the .xls to my email and I’ll upload it to drive. everyone knows my real identity.

1 Like

Done, thanks!

Assumptions:

• only you
  • $500 drug is covered at $60/$90 per month “nonpreferred” level
  • you hit your deductible but not OOP with additional care you mentioned

Premiums+drug cost+deductible come out to:
2500/3000/3900 give or take, but if the 3250 deductible/oop (you hit it with 500x12=6k drug cost) is pretax, you save [marginal total tax rate]*3250. For me thats close to 33% =$1072 but not sure in your case. And you can contribute more tax exempt for future health expenses… The $500 plan comes in a bit less expensive, but doesn’t give you that opportunity.

Note: if your kid is on this and doesn’t use much care, the HDHP is definitely least expensive, under similar assumptions…(and I am kind of blanking if I’m confusing you with someone else re:kid situation and if so I apologize)

3 Likes

Kid is going off my insurance next year and onto his own employer plan :smiley: so he won’t be a factor anymore.

THANK YOU! This is super helpful!!

3 Likes