Open Enrollment Questions

A lot of folks in the right wing media bubble hear nothing but horror stories about “socialized medicine”

Edit: until I joined forums like MMM and met real people from other countries I had never once heard a positive story about single payer healthcare

1 Like

Yeah, there was advertising money that went into those horror stories! I recently listened to a podcast episode about it, I think it was Planet Money? Certainly explained a lot.

1 Like

My exposure to horror stories goes back at least as far as “HilaryCare” in the early 90s.

Half the voters in the country seem to be actively voting against changing it, so I’d assume they think it’s functional.

Sorry to politicize this thread. I’m just insanely frustrated with trying to find insurance for next year. It’s so much guessing. If the pandemic is still raging, I probably won’t go to as many doctors as I actually need. This year I’ve certainly avoided a lot of my care. My health has suffered, but it’s not life threatening. If the pandemic gets under control, I’d be going back to it.

1 Like

Sometimes I have to remind myself the most optimal outcome isn’t worth my sanity. I don’t know what your options are, but is there one you would be ok with, both if you use no medical care, and if you max out your benefits (all it takes is one night in the ER for something weird, right)?

1 Like

Help me decide what to do. I have 12 hours.

Facts

• I lose health insurance on 12/31/2020 under a marketplace plan
  • My drug is a specialty drug, and average cost is $1,500 per week
  • My drug co-pay assistance runs Jan - Dec and is $12,000 Maximum per year
  • New Copay Accumulator Rule = not sure if health insurance companies will count the co-pay assistance towards my OOP max anymore, I may have to pay my OOP max myself even after assistance. I have called all the people about this. No one will confirm on any plan.

Option A: Workplan

• Enroll in my work plan in January when I lose marketplace coverage. $111 premium but $7,000 OOP max. Drug cost is 50% co-insurance (~$4000 per month). Will not give me a straight answer on co-pay accumulator rule
  • This plan ends in August, and I would then have to hit my OOP max again; company MAY offer “better” plans next year
  • Somewhere between $3,332- $14,322 in out of pocket costs. No real way to know.

Option B: Workplan; Leave Country and/or Quit Job in August

• Enroll in my work plan in January when I lose marketplace coverage. $111 premium but $7,000 OOP max. Drug cost is 50% co-insurance (~$4000 per month). Will not give me a straight answer on co-pay accumulator rule
  • Leave plan for Medicaid (no OOP maximum) in August or move to England (NHS is $360 for 1 year for immigrants + $10 per month for my drug)
  • Somewhere between $666 - $8,332 in out of pocket costs.

Option C: SSO’s plan

• Enroll as non-dependent domestic partner on SSO’s workplace HMO plan. $150 premium, $0 in-network deductible, $2,000 OOP max. Specialty drug co-pay is capped at $150 per month.
  • The employer paid premium of SSO’s workplace plan for me is taxable income, which means $3,168 of extra taxes.
  • Somewhere between $4,698 - $6,498 in out of pocket costs.
5 Likes

Can you clarify where the final numbers are coming from? Premiums + OOP max are $8332 for option A. What is the extra 6k? For option C I’m getting 3600 for premiums+drug, plus up to 2k in OOP max. Adding the extra taxes, that’s $8738? What am I doing wrong?

Option A: Premiums + OOP max * 2 - I will have to hit two OOP maxes this year because of plan year.

Option B: Premiums + Out of Pocket Max

Option C: Premiums + OOP Max + SSO Taxes + My loss of Health care cost Tax Credit

1 Like

Given the state of economy and covid, option B (either leaving your job and staying here or leaving for Britain) seems not the greatest choice to me. Especially since you won’t know if Britain is an option in next 12 hours :wink:

Personally, I would vastly prefer the certainty of option C, even if it (might) not be the mathematically optimal one. I like certainty even when it costs more.

2 Likes

Usually I do, too, I don’t know why I’m so resistant to it. I think two things:

• I am an independent person and do not like to rely on someone else for my access to health care
  • I am angry at paying taxes to the government for health care
3 Likes

What is SSO’s plan year? Jan-Dec?

1 Like

Yes like a normal fucking company.

5 Likes

Oh yea, I remembered the other reason why I am kinda hopeful about options A+B - enbrel, the company that makes my drug costs is desperate to get me to stay on their $$$ drug and knows how to work the system and occasionally just cuts ACTUAL CHECKS to patients to pay for drug costs after they’ve exhausted co-pay assistance.

6 Likes

Does SSO use any healthcare? If so, would SSO’s healthcare use also go toward the same out of pocket? That’s how my plan works, so my spouse is on my plan even though he (currently) could do fine on a plan through his own work if we were doing the math totally separately. He doesn’t use nearly as much healthcare as I do, but since we have a combined deductible and OOP max, it ends up working out more favorably than we would have expected.

3 Likes

Plan B looks best from my personal perspective. Have no numbers, am unhelpful, but we know it’s a lower cost and better standard of living if you were to move out of the country.

2 Likes

I need help too- I was planning to stick with the HSA but only realized yesterday our new HDHP plans are terrible (we’re switching providers). I’ve been too busy at work to do the math on whether I should stay with an HSA or switch to a plan that actually covers things. I max my HSA and invest everything above the minimum required. I don’t know what the fees are for maintaining the HSA if I no longer am eligible to contribute.

My only medication that makes a significant difference between levels is about $500 per month through insurance. If I stick with the HSA it will not be covered at all.

Other meds are not nearly as expensive so wouldn’t make a difference; I’d stay with the HSA for sure if it was just them. Averaging $100/3 month supply.

NO CLUE if I will have no medical procedures or lots but I will definitely have specialty visits, probably 4 throughout the year (maybe more depending on December visits), plus at least six “regular” visits that are not preventive care.

My current doctors and pharmacy are all covered under Elect plan level - the plan levels below that aren’t appropriate for my care - so I’m trying to decide between the HDHP plan and a traditional plan. It’s just me this year; I think my W2 wage will be about $55k.

BAH.

If anyone is super bored and numbers-savvy - is there a very obvious choice? If not I will have time today to scribble it out and calculate but thought I’d plead in the meantime. I think mostly I’m emotionally resistant to giving up HSA contributions; I worked hard to be able to max those.

New plan options:

1 Like

My loss prevention heart looks at the max cost on each and sees worst case scenario is lowest on SSO’s plan. Also you aren’t required to leave the country to avoid the possible $14K (!!) of OOP in Scenario 1. Which really isn’t even the worst case - there’s no guarantee the new plan through your job won’t have an even higher OOP max starting in August. What’s the legal max OOP under the ACA?

3 Likes

Oh yea, my drug costs alone would hit the Family Out of Pocket Maximum in 2 weeks for SSO. But SSO doesn’t really use health care other than stuff that the deductible doesn’t apply to anyway (checkups)

Other downside would be that SSO can’t use an HDHP with the plan that makes sense for me which means no HSA savings.

2 Likes

$8,550 for 2021. I think because it’s an Aug - Aug plan year, the 2021 rules will be required. My company is growing right now so I suspect they will add more than the 2 plan options we have this year, next year, especially as it is part of our equity plan.

Fidelity has an easy and free HSA account that I rolled my old HSA into that allows for investment of 100% of contributions. I don’t know that I can help with the rest of it, but there’s that!

3 Likes