October 2020 Book Club - We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Vote! Poll will close 9/12 because I’m impatient.

• We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
  • The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix

0 voters

2 Likes

Oh these are such good options.

2 Likes

I voted for two, which felt illegal.

2 Likes

I uh…also voted for two, but didn’t vote for four like the poll said I could >.>

3 Likes

I love Shirley Jackson so much and I did not want to have to choose.

1 Like

I love Neil Gaiman so much and haven’t read Sabriel and ages but remember it fondly.

1 Like

I voted for all of them. I literally love all of these books.

2 Likes

I appreciate that you guys like my choices but if everyone loves these books as much as I do, we’re going to have some trouble picking one :joy:

I did consider making the two Shirley Jackson books one option, since they are both so short.

4 Likes

We could… read all of them…

I’d do it

4 Likes

OK, we have a winner! We will read and discuss We Have Always Lived in the Castle in October.

I’ll probably reread The Haunting of Hill House as well, to be honest.

4 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSS

1 Like

PSA: If you get an edition of We Have Always Lived in the Castle that has an introduction by another author, skip the introduction, or at least read it after you’ve read the book. I read an introduction a year or two ago and it a) was dreadful and b) gave spoilers.

In fact, there’s an assumption made in the introduction that has baffled me ever since. The author of the introduction had a completely different interpretation of one scene than I do, so I know what one discussion question for this book will be!

3 Likes