Not Today, Amazon

Oh boy, I did not know that. I am, however, and my partner can attest to this, too lazy to digitally steal anything.

It’s not that I couldn’t or wouldn’t, I just can’t be bothered to lol.

3 Likes

anomalily’s journal reminded me - where’s a good place to order blank journals and fancy pens next time I’m drunk and want to order stuff online that I shouldn’t?

I have a copy of Making Comics by Lynda Barry, maybe I should make that my summer project.

5 Likes

Yes but the overdrive App is actually awful and the Libby app is run by the same people but much better. I can’t tell, is the Kobo system more like Libby or more like Overdrive?

2 Likes

Do you have a local independent bookstore? If not, maybe check out Powell’s?

1 Like

Or Etsy!

1 Like

I was going to say no, but oh wait yes I do! And I was going to spend money there anyway! Hooray!

2 Likes

Ohhh okay. With the Kobo Clara (what I have) you type a title or author into the search bar and select Overdrive from the drop-down menu (your personal library and Kobo store are other options on that menu). If your library has it available, you can check out and start downloading to the device immediately. If they don’t, you can place a hold.

The most annoying thing for me is remembering that the drop-down menu exists.

It’s not as pretty as Libby.

4 Likes

The one thing that really annoys me is that the Kobo store is always default and you have to select to go into Overdrive. Wish I could just make my library the default!

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for the info everyone! It sounds like the Kobos are not without their little annoying g quirks as well. I think for now I’ll keep the kindle but I know if/when I replace it, it’ll be with probably Kobo!

4 Likes

They’re quite elaborate, so probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love Paperblanks journals. They have great paper quality and so many gorgeous designs (and let me indulge my aesthetic of being a fancy wizard writing down ancient secrets in a beautifully bound book)

4 Likes

This is a strong endorsement. One of my current journals has two ribbon bookmarks built in, a magnet snap-shut cover thing, and Cthulu devouring a world on the cover. I love it.

3 Likes

That sounds amazing :heart_eyes:

I looooooove Paperblanks so much. I wish I weren’t finding that I much prefer squared or dotted journals for bullet journaling, because if I could stay happy with ruled journals I would just use Paperblanks all the time.

1 Like

I pretty much just use the blank page ones as a sketchbook/ journal hybrid. Don’t you try to tell me where to write, lines!

1 Like

Ordered some books this week from Booktopia, which is Aussie, instead of Book Depository (Amazon owned).

5 Likes

Hi all! This educator has a bookshop store instead of an amazon store and apparently the support local independent stores! Bonus - great diverse, anti-racist book list with proceeds supporting an educator!

2 Likes

I think you forgot the name/ link to the bookshop?

2 Likes

Haha OMG. This weekend. https://bookshop.org/shop/hereweeread is the shop I was talking about. If anyone else has an amazon affiliate shop and wants to stop supporting Amazon, you can set up an affiliate account at www.bookshop.org!

And the OMD software is helpfully telling me that @meerkat already suggested Bookshop.org, but I missed it, and especially missed that it was a place people could use affiliate links!

ETA: They sell new, when available AND have partners to sell USED when not available new!

5 Likes

Umm… I might have missed this - but when the library has a VERY LONG hold on audiobooks…

Where does one buy audiobooks that isn’t amazon-owned?

4 Likes

Are the hold lines on both digital and physical audiobooks? (Sometimes stuff is available through Libby/Hoopla…)

There’s always physical copies from a LBS (or Powells for y’all ;)), and I believe that Bookshop.org has audiobooks, too.

2 Likes