No Spend-tember

You might be able to find it for free somewhere. I’ve gotten a lot of baby stuff from buy nothing.

3 Likes

Good idea! I don’t have a buy nothing group, but I’m sure if I ask around I could find something.

2 Likes

I found the elastic. I also needed a lot less than I thought.

I’m adding stuff to my wishlist pretty regularly but it’s stuff I’ve been thinking about for at least a month already, it’s good to get them on a list and stop thinking about them.

2 Likes

I like the list too. I’m thinking maybe I’ll keep a list going after the challenge and then only purchase them on a specific day rather than when it pops into my mind.

1 Like

Joining belatedly because I spent about a thousand dollars more than I planned last month and o_O

4 Likes

Discomfort is challenging my no spendtember. $16 for compression gloves to hopefully help my pregnancy carpal tunnel. Obviously these are a need right now. But it’s so hard to decide what qualifies and what doesn’t and so on.

2 Likes

Sounds like a need to me!

Oh in this case for sure. I just mean in general. Like, one of the other main recommendations is massage. How much am I willing to spend relatively unplanned? Etc.

1 Like

Hmm I’m not sure. Especially if it’s something that turns out to not be as helpful as you thought. Though if I had the money for it, I would’ve loved a massage or chiropractor adjustment in the third trimester.

1 Like

Spent $10 on thread for my serger so I didn’t have to spend 2 more days redoing the tension that happens when you thread it in a new configuration. I’m starting to appreciate why people have several machines in use all the time.

Also bought vanilla syrup for coffee, which is a grocery staple, but still felt splurgey given this months challenge.

1 Like

I spent $30 on dinner delivery because the chicken in our fridge went bad before I could cook it and I thought I had some in the freezer but I didn’t. I’d be upset about spending the money but after 13 hours by myself with a baby and a puppy, I’m grateful to not have to cook on top of all that. I am upset about wasting the chicken that went bad but I’m going to try to do better next time. Being an adult is hard.

5 Likes

One of the bumps that got me to do no-spend-tember is that we let waaaay too much meat go off in the past 2 months.

I just did A Hard Thing so Ponder’s gone to buy us lunch, and I bought a $15 book on Kindle yesterday. I’m trying to work out if we can make dinner tonight when his sister comes over; I am sure he bought chicken kebabs yesterday so I’m pretty sure we’re good. Our local butcher is a lifesaver.

Regardless of the above, this is really helping me assess “is spending money ACTUALLY a better solution than something I’ve already got?” I’m also enjoying the break from buying stuff to make garden and household upgrades (we’re doing the “slow travel” version of a house & landscape Reno).

4 Likes

Welp, my phone is dying. :slight_smile: Goodbye No Spend-tember!

2 Likes

Is it possible to diy fix it? My husband’s replaced several batteries thanks to YouTube videos.

1 Like

Alas, no @Kitti but it is pretty old and I’m going to get a trade in rebate so that’s good at least!

1 Like

I am constantly adjusting my own rules during these challenges to better fit my goals for doing the challenge in the first place. ETA: I meant, I constantly evaluate what does or doesn’t work after the challenge then change how I approach the next one so that it better fits the actual issue I’m trying to address.

I decided that things that need to be replaced don’t count, even though I usually get something nicer than what I had. For me a phone is required for day to day life (and definitely for work) so I wouldn’t count it.

I found that tactic helped me to still stay on track overall and not let it be the thing that unleashes the spendy hounds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I keep forgetting about this (ack) but thankfully see enough reminders around the forum (yay) that I’m still on track!

Good thing, too, or I might have spendy Miniature Pinscher slippers arriving in six to eight weeks :rofl:

1 Like

That’s a good idea @katscratch I mean I need a phone so…I guess I am still in! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m bad at no Spendtember.

$55
We don’t have kids or nephews or nieces and we’re not going to a kid’s birthday party… It’s for Greyman.

4 Likes

@AllHat I may not be too far behind. We’re going to try a battery replacement first but I’m hoping to push that until October. Buuuut my phone is being really glitchy and randomly shutting off so we’ll see how long it lasts.

Spent $111 on shots and heartworm meds for pup today. Obviously a need since he is out in the world and must be vaccinated, but ouch. At least my groceries came in at $60 under budget!

3 Likes