Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

So the stock grant itself should be in the W2 as taxable income the year that it vests. So all you have to worry about for capital gains is the price difference between when it vests and when it sells. Like others have said, that rate changes if you hold it a year, but if you sell it right away it’s normally very low gains and often with market fluctuations it sold at a slightly lower price and I got to take a few dollars I’m capital loss on my tax return.

6 Likes

For this you might want to check your program–in my case when RSUs vest they automatically withhold a number of shares as taxes, so if you sell immediately short term vs long term gains are irrelevant since they’ve already been paid through the withheld shares and its the same as cash. The tax forms are annoying because cost basis is never calculated correctly, but that’s a different issue :slight_smile: . I do the sell immediately since I have enough company stock through other means, but if I was going to hold I’d aim for at least that year, though.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I had no idea this was a thing. I will do some follow-up to see if that’s the case for our plan (fingers crossed). Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Dude you are getting fancy! Bonus as shares, nice!

:grin:

3 Likes

I’m impossibly fancy now. Eating bowls of rubies for breakfast over here!

6 Likes

I was just kidding ^ but uh…all the money hit our account today. I just exceeded the goal I set out to achieve by the end of December 2022 (not in total net worth but for cash savings, hit $25k in savings and $5k in checking, just $5k more to go for our emergency fund!).

Time to redo my projections :smile: oh no! Hahahaha.

19 Likes

I’m sorry getting unexpected money caused you more work. :rofl:

7 Likes

My life is super hard.

10 Likes

You just can’t catch a break! :joy:

3 Likes

Seriously! To top it all off I look really cute today, too.

13 Likes

I tried to find a hysterical laughter gif but they were all a little too cheerful and low on hysteria. What an effing weird time to cross a new $100k mark.

17 Likes

Oh hayyyyyyy. Rich rich, anybody rich? (Are there Throwing Shade fans here? If not, haha, nvm.) Net worth hit $270k today! New all time high for us and up $18k from last month! I also transferred another $500 to our emergency fund, so that’s at around $26k (aiming for $30k total) now. :smile:

20 Likes

:tada::sunglasses: look at you go! Net worth up, emergency fund being fed!

We are $5k from a milestone. Sooooo close.

2 Likes

Oooo, I bet you can practically smell it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It smells like baked goods that aren’t quite done yet. so tempting, but too hot and need another 5 minutes… Impatiently waiting!

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 9.51.37 AM

This is our second highest number, helped by me throwing yet more money into rrsps (rrsps are still down in that account though). 3.11% withdrawal rate anticipated ignoring cash. ETA: I forgot, the shadowy one also threw in a similar amount into their non-registered at the beginning of the month, so some of this is just moving money around from a cash account where you couldn’t see it into accounts that are in this graph.

13 Likes

money

networth over $600k (AUD) for the first time in my life

24 Likes

Whew, just did our net worth and we’re down $12k from last month just due to the market. That strangely makes me feel Very Rich because like…I can just randomly lose and gain that much without even knowing it. Anyway total net worth is at $258k right now and emergency fund is at a little over $27k! I feel like this year has been especially up and down month-to-month but IDK if it’s just because I have more money now or if it’s actually been more volatile than usual.

17 Likes

I borrowed money from myself to buy vanguard shares, to be replenished when husband’s work shares reach a good price again (I’m a dirty market timer). It feels nice to be buying shares again.

10 Likes

Y’all I’m sooooooo close to zero net worth! I’m at -$3,000 right now, compared to -$29,377 when I started tracking in December 2020 woooooo

33 Likes