Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

End of year number because paycheck just came in and I’m refusing to pay attention to any market buffoonery tomorrow: $601,374!

According to mint we were going to be just shy of the new round number, but then I realized that I never added in Husband’s new HSA. We entered the year at $476,857 so NW increase of $124k. $6,112 more than our gross paychecks.

Whoa.

18 Likes

WOW! :partying_face:

1 Like

That’s amazing!

2 Likes

Oh, so @lhamo pointed out VFORX dividend payments over at the other place. They’re big this year, and that’s a lot of our retirement funds and basically all of the HSA. I’m going to have to redo the numbers once the dividends are reinvested; we may come in over the line.

8 Likes

Copied from my journal:

I did my end of the year financial wrap-up (much to Howie’s dismay, as he kept sputtering, “But the markets haven’t closed yet!”)

Anyway, this was a higher spending year than usual. In 2020, groceries and some other categories went way up, but others (travel, gym memberships, etc.) went way down, so my spending overall stayed steady. In 2021 those expenses went back to their usual levels but the spending I’d increased in 2020 didn’t go down. So after two years of spending about $26,000 per year (on non-medical expenses) I spent about $31,000. I’m still deciding if I want to try to change that for next year or if I’m just going to roll with it as my new normal.

My net worth increased by about $96,000 to $347,355. My salary is just over $70,000 a year, and counting employer contributions to retirement accounts, money from babysitting, etc. I made about $78,500 gross this year. This is the third year in a row that my net worth increased more than my salary. Compound interest is bonkers.

17 Likes

Oooh.

6 years, 4 months (month we got married)

Today

Working towards getting that green line up to the red. In 6 years, 4 months the green line went from $6500 to $35,000.

17 Likes

Not up by much (“not much” mean about $900; who is this person in my brain who calls $900 “not much,” anyway?) I got the updated figures on some of Husband’s accounts that I’d just left the same as early November, but the dividends must’ve already been reinvested when I did the accounting yesterday.

3 Likes

Y’all. I think I’m gonna hit $100K in 2022. Feels both VERY BIG and VERY SMALL depending on at whom I look. But it feels huge for me.

Today it crossed $90K for the first time - $90,240, give or take some market wiggles.

24 Likes

That’s amazing! Congrats!

2 Likes

Look at the slope of that line! (velocity)
And more significantly, the change in slope over time. (acceleration)

5 Likes

First time posting here, but I’ve gone from about $3,000 in a checking account (but no debt) when I first started posting here in October 2020 to about $41,000 spread out across checking, retirement, and nest egg savings. That’s… a lot. Like, maybe I need to double check my math a lot (living with parents for a year+very light spending+crazy weird market = ???) but… I’m happy to be here!

22 Likes

Congrats :tada:!

2 Likes

The acceleration at the end is actually just mostly because I have had a salaried well-paid job for the past 2 years instead of self employment and minimum wage part time job.

5 Likes

Wowza.
Direct us action (not market), we saved $41,162 this year. Our net worth went up $158,860 this year. (By contrast that’s like $57.8k more than we made this year after taxes)

Wild.

18 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 10.14.18 AM

which brings us to an estimated 3.14% withdrawal rate (3% with cash not reflected in graph).

16 Likes

Ah, Prolifically (financially) Independent, or Pi level of savings!

11 Likes

We held our yearend financial review, and after adjusting for the increased value of the car from the Kelly Blue Book and a few other things, our net worth is over $562,000 CAD.

7 Likes

I have a whole lot of data that I need to make a pretty graph with, we have been tracking our household net worth since 2014. It was $123 000 back then.

$390 000 is where we landed at the end of 2021. That’s our savings, house (valued at what we paid for it), mortgage, credit card balances, some shares, etc.

$604 000 is where we are at if we add in our superannuation (retirement funds).

$1 002 000 is where we are at if we take that and adjust our house value to reflect the local real estate market :exploding_head:

16 Likes

Holy crap your housing market is pineapple bananas.

4 Likes

Yeh it’s bonkers. Not in a good way? It feels 100% like cheating in terms of net worth and also it’s really bad for people who aren’t in the market yet and also renters because rents are really high now too.

3 Likes