Music Reviews by Kids

Do you like sharing music with your spawn? I do. I mean, it gives me a break from listening to Laurie Berkner nonstop.

His hot takes on my favorite music are really surprising. I would love to hear your kids reactions to your music! :rofl:

For example, so far:

Pretty Baby by Vanessa Carlton is a huge hit. It is requested almost as soon as we get into the car and then he asks to play it again. Some good questions come out of this one. “Why is Pretty Baby the ‘sun that breaks the storm’?” So we had a conversation about metaphors :rofl:

Wherever You Will Go by The Calling is “a good song.” It is not requested but acceptable and now considered one of “his” songs.

New Constellations by Ryn Weaver is “too loud.” So we haven’t really pierced the emo ambient rock veil for him. Give it time.

4 Likes

I need to get out my CDs for the car. Every time I put on NPR she wants “music, mama!” and we only get one music station. I’ll report back on what she thinks about Alanis Morissette, Backstreet Boys, and the Wicked soundtrack in a few days.

4 Likes

Spawn’s playlist is hilarious over here. Key criteria seem to be: big techno drops. Fun to sing to. Good beat for sprinting laps around the house (that’s not an exaggeration, that’s a nightly routine and she’s very specific about the music allowed for it).

Given thumbs up for big drops:
Temptation by Side Piece, Party Jumpin by Marshmello
Sing to:
Fall Out Boy primarily, and Ylvis. Dance Dance, Love from the Other Side, Yogurt by Ylvis
Run to:
Larry Bird by Sofi Tucker, Born to Run by Red Parker, Kids on the Run by Klingande and VARGEN

Also a lot of Laurie Berkner :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I love that big drops are important to her :heart:

1 Like

One of her earliest dance moves was like, dubstep wobble hands to the beat. And she’ll often check “was that the drop!?” It’s hilarious and adorable :joy:

1 Like

Vital translation: if a toddler yells AWOOGA! Over and over at you, she MAY be requesting “baby beluga” by Rafi :joy::melting_face::woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

My 4-year-old nephew loves “Stayin’ Alive” by the Bee Gees, but because he first heard it in the context of a lot of adults dancing to it, he thinks it’s “Shaking My Life.”

3 Likes

BB is 12 and just bought his first pair of bluetooth ear pods so he can listen to his hair metal without disturbing anyone else. I think he discovered it through Guitar Hero. My Gen X sister was taking music requests in the hot tub last summer and was tickled when he climbed in demanding “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

LB is not very musical and the baby’s favorite song is pretty clearly “She’ll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain.” The gruesome Pete Seeger version where they kill a rooster so they can eat chicken.

3 Likes

Found my CDs. Currently flipping through them and having flashbacks to college and early grad school. There is a Raffi album of all things, but with the current level of emo drama and screaming in my house I feel like I should try Phantom of the Opera or Nightwish first.

3 Likes

Be careful with whatever you choose. I never liked Vanessa Carlton all that much and now i listen to Pretty Baby, not even her best song, on repeat every time we drive.

Proving, perhaps, how infantile her lyrics truly are.

Natalie Imbrulia, one hit wonder, has zero hits as far as Meowlet is concerned.

He’s told me he only wants to listen to women not men so no backstreet boys.

2 Likes

Started with Raffi, but she won’t let me sing. So I belted Morningtown Ride (or as she calls it, Train Whistle) on the way to work after dropoff, and I’m going to try something else after pickup.

1 Like

Nightwish was unimpressive, tried Enya and in the middle she says “I sink I want Raffi, mama.” Followed by “I want Train Whistle.”

With the radio, she couldn’t choose anything. There will be no escape for me now.

3 Likes