Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

That is a huge win. Go Ducky!

2 Likes

I’ve been cooking totally random things lately but I have a meal plan in the works for our upcoming camping trip! This is what I’ve come up with. I’m so excited!!!

Camping food plan

BREAKFAST

Instant Coffee

Scrambled Eggs + Bacon + Hot Sauce + Ketchup + Oranges (done in dutch oven)

LUNCH

Ham + Cheese Sandwiches

Potato Chips

Apples

DINNER

Sausages (done in dutch oven)

Pepper + Mushroom Skewers (pre marinate)

Salad- ( make ahead w/ diced carrots, potato, celery, pickles - dressing on side?)

Smores

SNACKS

DH Snacks- granola bars, jerky, homemade trail mix

My Snacks- meat sticks, home flavored pistachios

Random bonus curry pic

My new thing is making food just for me :slight_smile: thanks therapy, lol. The best part is I get to make it as spicy as I actually want. This lil’ dude is HOT. I made DH a cheesy hamburger helper type thing but I didn’t take a picture because as tasty as it is it’s…not the prettiest, haha. It does double my work to cook this way but it’s so worth it. I think I’ll make a huge batch of stuffed grape leaves soon.

12 Likes

Some of my favorite camping foods are premade breakfast burritos! You can also do omelet in a bag (eggs and fillings in a ziplock in a boiling pot of water!).

If it is within your diet to get peanut butter cups for the smores in addition to normal chocolate, I highly recommend it. It levels up your smores game by at least 100.

Your list looks awesome and I hope you have a great time.

6 Likes

This made me want to go camping so badly!! I am excited to get DH into it, and I think the gateway might be camping food!

3 Likes

Woahhh! That’s a really cool idea. Does any ziplock work or freezer maybe? I feel like those are sturdier. I’m not getting peanut butter cups but I did get some hazelnut chocolate :slight_smile:

This is me! My husband has never been camping aside from the times we’ve done camper camping (big campers tho, like bathroom and tiny kitchen, etc.). I camped/fished/shot a lot as a kid because midwest but I haven’t been since I was like, younger than 12.

3 Likes

Looks like a great menu :yum: some suggestions you can take or leave:

If you drink tea at all, bring some tea bags as well as coffee. I find I prefer tea while camping, though it may be a habit or dispreference for black coffee (and subpar dairy options). Also you can have it before bed when it cools off in the evening (bring herbal/fruit options if caffeine sensitive).

Also, dry soups (Lipton chicken noodle or tomato, miso, ramen) go really well before dinner, especially after a day of hiking or activities, or if it’s cool. And they keep well for your next trip or in an emergency kit.

3 Likes

You can get hot/cold zip locks for sous vide. Idk bow much better they are for hot exposure, but at least it’s trying.

2 Likes

The dry soup and tea are both great ideas! thank you! I didn’t realize there was dry tomato soup, that’s my favorite.

4 Likes

Tomato can be hit or miss but I’ve seen it! It’s not as rich as canned but it’s great while camping! In Chicago we could get Knorr brand borscht and mushroom soup/broth, too. :cry:I suppose the internet exists… Off to not save money…

4 Likes

:laughing: so far that has been the theme of preparing to camp

6 Likes

I’m so excited for you for your camping trip! Your menu sounds amazing. I definitely second Galliver’s suggestion of lots of warm things to drink/soup. I am just always SO cold when I’m camping, even in the Summer (although I don’t know what the weather is like where you are!) Having a cup of something warm in my hands at all times just really enhances the experience, haha.

5 Likes

I am also working on camping food menus for next weekend, and I think it will be quite chilly. I want to cook most things in advance, and I need both a meat and a vegetarian version.

I spent some time thinking about this at 3 am, btw.

I think the sausage sounds great and takes care of one dinner, + some kind of noodle or rice mix.

Chili, made ahead and frozen, + baked potatoes.

Soup mix - we did these last year and they were way better than expected, + rolls.

Breakfast - eggs/toast/bagels/coffee cake/oatmeal.

Lunch - lunchmeat? Cheese? Crackers? We’ll go out one day.

Apples/bananas/canned peaches

Coffee/tea/wine/cocoa

4 Likes

Do you have suggestions on brands for the soups? I mean we are car camping so I guess I could just get cans. But I want to feel like a cool backpacker, haha.

5 Likes

We used normal ziplock growing up, not saying it’s what we should have done because some of them got kind of melty, but I’m not dead yet so :woman_shrugging::joy:

Freezer would work or the sus vide if you’re more worried. These were awesome for big groups, you would make your own bag with custom fillers and write your name in sharpie on the bag. You could put like 10 in the pot of boiling water at a time and we would go camping with groups of 15-25 people.

4 Likes

haha! I actually use cans, since I’m usually car camping too. I loveeee Amy’s Chunky Tomato Bisque. It’s like my camping go too, with a some crackers or a baguette. Heating it up on the camp stove makes me feel like a legit enough camper, haha

Do you have a health food store with bulk foods near you? I used to get freeze dried vegetable soup mix that was pretty good, it was Frontier brand…I just looked and I think Bob’s Red Mill makes one too! I think it’s probably best mixed in a stock of some sort. Oh! can you do miso soup? I feel like miso soup packets would be excellent for camping as well

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I think I’m too far into planning for this trip :laughing: but I will definitely try some camping sous vide. I mean it just feels like a me thing to do. I also kind of want to bring my wok and use it over an open flame but then I was like…maybe I shouldn’t overcomplicate our first trip. Next time…

ETA: Changed my mind. Looks like the extra long skewers won’t make it here in time so I am bringing the wok for the mushrooms and peppers. :grin: I really wanted to anyway.

4 Likes

We do have some co-ops but I was only planning on a top off from Aldi! I actually haven’t tried miso since all my stuff- but soy sauce and soybean oil didn’t go well so probably not. I think Amy’s would work though!

ETA: Actually…

2 Likes

I love bear creek chicken noodle. I bet their other ones are also good if you like other soups.

1 Like

Thanks all! I ended up buying some Wild Zora soups (expensive but work for my weird/annoying diet) and I got my two favorite types of tea (rosehip and peppermint)! :slight_smile: I’m even more excited if that’s even possible. You guys should see all my lists.

9 Likes

Lists are one of the best parts of camping

5 Likes