Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

I turned second rate tomatoes and a basket of jalapeños into tomato basil sauce, salsa and sweet jalapeño relish.

I have five jalapeños left! Thinking…I also have sweet green and sweet red peppers and zucchini. Already made zucchini relish. Not sure what to do with my pepper abundance?!

Tomato Basil Sauce

Salsa

Sweet Jalapeño Relish

6 Likes

Cream cheese stuffed and bacon wrapped is my vote haha!

3 Likes

Lol! I have never tried that…but I hear it’s very delicious…especially wrapped and broiled in bacon! Unfortunately I have neither cream cheese nor bacon, and to acquire them would set me back $10 CAD here. :pensive:

3 Likes

Our top up groceries were over $80 again… mainly things walmart didn’t bring or I wouldn’t trust them to bring
Carrots, apples, bananas, tiny potatoes, cherries, niagara grapes, raspberries, blackberries
4 cans of beans, a three pack of fancy tuna, sardines
30 eggs, 2x4L nut milk
Oatmeal
Jello and croissants?

9 Likes

My brother uses a mashed potato based vegan popper recipe that is v good. Now regretting not grabbing jalepenos

4 Likes
Beet and Beef Ragu, you can't tell its meat but spoilering just in case

We finally got our 1/4 of a cow and will now not be buying meat for 6-12 months but we also had SO MANY BEETS DEAR LORD in our fridge from the farm share. Beets are really hard for me to use because of their strong flavor and I am getting so sick of them. We made this beef and beet ragu for dinner last night and it was incredible. Really easy to make vegan, just skip the beef! The beet flavor did not over power at all and in fact you can hardly taste it.

From the farm share: 5 beets, 4 carrots, garlic, thyme, and rosemary
From the pantry/freezer: tomato sauce, onion, ground beef, pasta, and red pepper flakes
I think the cost per serving is less than $1.40 and would be even lower if vegan!

For dinner tonight/tomorrow - saag from the beet stems, swiss chard, and other leafy greens we have been getting an abundance from in the farm share.

I find Struggle Meals to be my ultimate comfort show and I have been rewatching on ideas for lowering food costs. (TBH my ultimate comfort show is the great british bake off and I CANNOT wait for the end of September for the new season).

6 Likes

I made hot sauce with my excess jalapeños. I didn’t can it so it’s not canning safe, though there are plenty of recipes for that too. I de-seeded the jalapeños and sliced them. Added some crushed garlic. Simmered them in about 1/4 cup each of water and vinegar, added more water when the pot went dry. Let it simmer until it was soft, then puréed. Surprisingly tasty for being so simple.

You could probably throw some sweet peppers in there too to make it less hot.

For zucchini, my go-to is shred and freeze and bake zucchini bread all winter. Or ratatouille! Onions, tomatoes, zucchini, sweet peppers, basil, oregano, garlic, eggplant if you have any. Put in pot and cook until mushy in a good way. I purée it into pasta sauce after but you can leave it chunky.

3 Likes

Where do you watch this?

2 Likes

You can watch it on Hulu, Amazon prime, or paramount plus (haven’t tried PP though) according to google! I’ve been doing Hulu.

He also has his episodes on FB and YouTube but it’s more annoying because they are 3-5 mins instead of 30 like on Hulu or Amazon.

3 Likes

Thank you! We have prime so that’s perfect.

1 Like

I ended up making a Sweet Zucchini Relish and drying the rest of the jalapeños in my food dehydrator.

1 Like

I think I need to check this show out! We have Hulu.
Which, I just learned, is going up $1/month in price soon. Oh well. We do watch it!

1 Like

I hope you love it!! He’s such a dork and I don’t find it to be too over the top.

He does cook with meat about half of the time but makes a lot of vegetarian dishes too. He talks about how meat is really expensive and you don’t need it every time.

Also he has a Facebook page that I joined. There are quite a few people on there with “look at my food pantry haul, Ive never used X HELP!” And people are so kind about offering suggestions within the limitations they list in their post.

4 Likes

I have about 2 hours this afternoon to meal prep. And I have been super extra hungry lately.

I am thinking, beans simmered in gravy (maybe kid will eat?)
Lentils and mushrooms in pasta sauce (maybe even puree lentils?)
A baked quickbread
Lots of chopping veggies and fruits
Jerk tofu
Black bean/rice/corn burritos
Plain rice

• I did a ten egg frittata for

Pasta for dinner tonight, serve G sauce over a steamed veggie
Oatmeal for breakfast
Pasta for next 2 kid lunches
Jerk tofu and rice for me
Burritos for dinner tomorrow or snacks
Friday fish for boys, processed frozen cauliflower bites for me

Yesterday I made chickpea nuggets that turned out really well - I will batch cook a bunch at a hazy future time to fill the freezer. My next silly ambitious project is kidney bean hotdogs

- these had chickpeas, oats, corn, onion, garlic, tapioca, nutritional yeast, salt, black pepper… maybe more?

15 Likes

I’m drooling over that picture which reminds me that I didn’t eat breakfast. So I guess I’ll eat my yogurt now, thanks.

4 Likes

Those nuggets look so good. I think we have all of those ingredients, but unsure about my ambition.

3 Likes

My ambition and abilities failed today,

I managed to
Prep a container each of apple slices and celery sticks
Make a bean and veggie stew (I have started using frozen diced onion and sliced peopers)
Jerk tofu
Rice
I blended a lot of the stew to see if that helps the toddler
I portioned out a premade salad lot for tonight

8 Likes

Planned 4 meals for the week, ordered the groceries for delivery today, picked up the meat from the butchers after a trip to the park this morning and almost finished washing the dishes this morning. On fire! :fire: Now to lie down for the rest of the day…

11 Likes

I made “beef ragu” in the instant pot! Ok it was really just a plain Spag bog sauce with chunky stew steak instead of mince. Figures it was the quickest way to see if i understood the basic use of the IP. It was a success, so i can edge myself towards trying new flavours! Also i made it by myself while watching the kids and that is kind of a Big Deal. We are doing incredibly well with making food at home this week.

16 Likes

Nice! :slight_smile:

1 Like