Meme-ing our way through

For extra lols: I napped through the debate :innocent: :sleeping:

8 Likes

18 Likes

17 Likes

18 Likes

IMG_2605

17 Likes

Can we stick to mocking Trump’s craziness of saying that rather than depictions of the racist trope of immigrants coming for the things you love?

It’s an accusation that’s been lobbed at me about stealing “our good American men” and lord knows I’ve had people ask if I ate piranhas and monkeys after asking if I lived in the rain forest. The jokes started out funny and there was an edge of owning the ridiculous of it by posts I’ve seen by fellow immigrants, but the tide seems to be turning and I’m hearing reports of Haitian businesses being targeted for hate based on these lies.

19 Likes

Definitely. I thought it was darkly capitalizing on the absurdity of it, but I’ll delete and drop any further of those memes off.

8 Likes

I hadn’t thought of it that way. I thought the whole thing was “Haha, stupid insane Trump” but thinking about it now, yeah, humans are complicated and too many are racists who will take it as a dog whistle to do awful things. And it’s repeating microaggressions that I’m lucky enough to not think about day to day.

12 Likes

It definitely started out that way, but holy fucking shit are people horrible and stupid and I’m seeing more folks online repeating that this is actually happening and isn’t a racist fever dream.

19 Likes

My garage shred bin and I are insulted by this

And a very niche meme:

16 Likes

Definitely! And then something shifted and instagram was showing tge same words without Trump and it felt different. This week we all know the context, but the memes live forever.

Plus the whole “the more you hear it the more likely you are to believe it”. Here it’s (ethnic group) poops on the beach. And I was surprised and glad to find beach mayors this summer clearly denouncing it.

15 Likes

*that one is very much me when I PMS but definitely women have different experiences

12 Likes

**Mod hat on :construction_worker_woman: ** :star: for everyone for keeping things civil and quick removal. I am happy to just straight up remove things for people and let the poster know nicely if at any point someone just wants something removed fast and anonymous.

**Mod hat off **

18 Likes

Thank you for modding!

7 Likes

15 Likes

You are such a modest modder!

1 Like

16 Likes

21 Likes

I would totally go to Hooters if I could watch/listen to some cute owls.

12 Likes

SAME

2 Likes