Meme-ing our way through

My mother has a brother from their mom’s first marriage who is a generation older than she is. He told me once when I was in my late 20s that in his head, my mom and I are about the same age. You know, young people!

5 Likes

You young whipper-snappers!

Get off my lawn! :rofl:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies. This was before JK Rowling got on her soapbox about gender. But I still like the books and movies, but not so much the author.

8 Likes

Oh, and The Big Chill is a great movie (“You can’t always get what you want”).

1 Like

I’ve read the books probably hundreds of times. I’ve had to replace hardback copies of them because I wore them out. I preordered the books so they would show up at my door the moment they were released, and actually lucked into a midnight sale of the last one when I went to walmart after a scrapbooking night- then finished the book before the sun came up. I was quite obsessed.

I am so disappointed in who the author turned out to be.

But the movies are horrible. I mean, unwatchable to me past the second one. I remember thinking the first one was magical, like someone was reading the book to you. But, then they just got so bad. And my husband, who saw the movies without reading the books couldn’t follow them because he kept having to ask me details that were in the books but left out of the movies. Things that were needed to put the plot together.

10 Likes

Maybe my standards aren’t as high as yours, but any differences between the books and movies didn’t bother me. But I have had that feeling about other books made into movies.

3 Likes

It wasn’t so much about differences as it felt like if you didn’t know the information from the books, the movies were hard to understand.

I mean, I really could care less that they gasp changed ravenclaw colors, or things like that.

(I do feel like some of the director inconsistencies like 'students wear uniforms at school", jk they wear clothes now; nope, uniforms; did make the series tough though.)

4 Likes

I tried watching thirty something again at one point. It was PAINFUL! And I really liked it the first time around.

I really wanted to watch My So Called Life with DD but I think she has aged out of it.

4 Likes

So interesting. There are things that I prefer about the movies, actually. Most notably Slughorn’s magical fish. Gets me every time.

2 Likes

I never read the books, but I did see the movies. I didn’t find that the movies were hard to follow, although the books would certainly fill in a lot of details. I mean, just look at those books! I was surprised at the time at how popular they were just based on length alone. Just goes to show that quality matters.

I have never been able to slog through the Lord of the Rings books, but had no trouble with the movies.

I did read the first few chapters of Dune before watching the movie and had no problem. I am sure there were plot points I missed, but it was a very enjoyable movie.

4 Likes

21 Likes

I actually thought the movies got a lot better once they got rid of chris Columbus and the kids got older and able to act more. I love Alfonso Curez directing for the 3rd one. But we were never gonna be satisfied with them if you were a hardcore fan of the book.

I try to take solace in the fact that thousands of people went into making those movies and most of them are not doing what JKR is doing with her platform- in fact many are vocally and financially advocating for trans inclusion.

But as someone who used to be on the board of a nonprofit called Harry Potter Alliance (now fandom forward) that actually did trans rights advocacy, and sung in a wizard rock punk rock band, I have complex feelings about HP that cannot be explained here

25 Likes

Did that ever get inconsistent? They wore uniforms to class and not outside of class.

ETA: sorry bad mod derailing the meme thread :joy:

1 Like

I thought it went back and forth about whether they wore robes outside of class or not.

But honestly, I found the movies really boring, they didn’t engage me, so the later movies I’ve seen once and don’t really remember.

I mostly just remember having to answer a ton of questions because my husband couldn’t follow the storyline.

Also, anyone who likes HP, and hasn’t seen Puffs the Play really should. It was excellent.

3 Likes

Here, to be on topic.

19 Likes

Yep, every time I came out of a Harry Potter movie I immediately had to go into footnotes mode for the people who hadn’t read the books. But the later books were really long and they still tried to cram it into one movie - I mean I get that they couldn’t have twenty-something movies, but now a days I wonder if some streaming service would grab them up for a show with one season per book so they could actually get into more of the details.

9 Likes

I thought it was the same as Catholic high schools here (the only uniform schools usually)…they sometimes don’t bother to change

2 Likes

If they do it well, that would be an amazing idea. If not for the movies, I bet it would have been at least at popular as Game of Thrones before they ran out of source material and made up their own stuff.

1 Like

I would probably still watch for at least two seasons after.

Hell, I would watch a world of Harry Potter show having nothing to do with the original books, provided JKR wasn’t involved.

I really want a show about Hagrid. I feel like that could be really good.

EDIT I realized you probably meant until GoT ran out of source material.

7 Likes