Meme-ing our way through

Qatar just banned all alcohol at the World Cup. Budweiser is one of the main sponsors. They kick off in 2 days.

17 Likes

Ooooh that’s very awkward.

3 Likes

I wonder if there was something in the sponsorship contract about “Budweiser will be the only provider of alcohol at the venue” and Qatar was like “Sure, you can have 100% of the market of 0.”

7 Likes

So it’s complicated. The non-alcoholic beer by Budweiser is still going to be sold in the stadiums and I believe that regular beer will be sold at the Fan Festival that surrounds the stadiums.

I believe the luxury boxes will still be able to serve alcohol, but it just won’t be available for sale for the hoi polloi.

6 Likes

Very complicated, but also not what was promised in the bid for the world cup.

I think this quote sums up well, why this is a bad thing to happen. It just does not bode well. Many fans are likely worried if they will be safe traveling to Qatar.

9 Likes

Oooh, that makes sense. I forgot that nonalchoholic beer was a thing. I also did not consider the Fan Festival or VIP seats, which just goes to show how not-sporty I am despite living somewhere that I need to check the football schedule if I’m driving certain places.

4 Likes

I think that is right and true and also that people are worried about Qatar and also that Qatar fucked up big bidding for the world cup with bribes and promises they wouldn’t keep and they are drawing attention to things that mess up their image

8 Likes

Oh 100%. Qatar’s hosting of this year’s world cup is highlighting and magnifying the super corrupt and problematic practices of FIFA.

9 Likes

Throwing it back to the therapy meme (but running a conference at the same time and am on my phone so can’t do anything fancy like “scroll back” or “quote”)…

Yes, fighting for change is part of the answer, but also it’s very helpful to have support and healing too. Filling your own cup can generate the energy to fight for the greater good, and most people could stand to learn more about developmental trauma and could benefit from a supportive, nonjudgmental, neutral presence.

Just as everyone needs physical health care, so too does everyone need mental healthcare, and I think it’s disingenuous to imply that if everyone needs something then maybe it’s overprescribed. As a social worker, I believe that reform is part of the package. But it is not the entire package.

8 Likes

20 Likes

Sounds like a very orange autobiography

2 Likes
Hot Take Time

My Extremely Hot Take is that he is just the latest in a long line of very rich men who substitute money for intelligence and/or skill. All the American oligarchs have this problem, his is just the most (currently) obvious. My other current fav is Zuckerberg and the metaverse nonsense. No one wants to do officework wearing a VR headset, and the fact that anyone took him seriously at any point is both hilarious and horrifying.

Hot Take Meme Tax:
Tumblr_l_33647815413347

16 Likes
6 Likes

The worst part is when there is a tow ban and you have to wait a day or even days for your car. Drive safe!!!

1 Like

28 Likes

18 Likes

20 Likes

I feel called out.

1 Like

12 Likes

Burned down. Twice.

24 Likes